Why become a member? ×

Where's all the Warwicks?

Swaffle88

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1479223084' post='3174858']
Buy a Spector - the original design...I'm sure if you look you be able to find a thread on how Warwick stole the design and didn't pay compensation following the court case.
[/quote]

What if he is looking for a Thumb? :)
I can remember at least 7348754 brands that copied other designs... but that´s not the question here.

Edited by A.G.E.N.T.E.

I don't think Warwick's are really stocked anywhere in the UK anymore. It certainly doesn't seem so. And even if there is anywhere that does, I'm sure even then they don't get sold due to the astronomical pricing.

Edited by 40hz

Buy a Spector - the original design...I'm sure if you look you be able to find a thread on how Warwick stole the design and didn't pay compensation following the court case.
[/quote]

That's really naive.
Why not buying a double bass, then?
That's the real original design. :P

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1479228407' post='3174907']
I don't think Warwick's are really stocked anywhere in the UK anymore. It certainly doesn't seem so. And even if there is anywhere that does, I'm sure even then they don't get sold due to the astronomical pricing.
[/quote]
Wunjos had a few Corvettes and a couple of Streamers the last time I was in there.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1479229640' post='3174923']
Wunjos had a few Corvettes and a couple of Streamers the last time I was in there.
[/quote]

Were they brand new German ones? or Rockbasses?

Edited by 40hz

Doesn't Thomann or Musicstore store them? They'll get it to your doorstep and have great costumer support if anything happens. They're german stores so they should stock the brand, i haven't checked it.

I must admit that when i read the title i grinned a little as i though to myself "yes, where are the Warwicks? haven't heard of any in this forum for quite some time!" :D

[/quote]

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar"]https://en.wikipedia...iki/Bass_guitar[/url]

The first bass was about in the 1930s - 20 years before Fender created their first.
Why don't you make that accusation everytime Fender gets mentioned? After all Fender nicked the design too. All they did was adapt it for mass production.

What do you drive? Another stolen design no doubt. Do you complain about that?

Some of us consider the Warwick Streamer design to be more refined. The Spector shape is more brutal; this could be why Spector get upset that Streamers are more prolific.

Edited by Grangur

Don't feed the troll guys!

Warwick generally don't seem to have any presence in the UK anymore. There was a slight revival when the GPS was released and a few stores stocked them, but I haven't seen any new stock in a long while over here :(

In Scotland, I can't think of any. I think Red Dog Music in Edinburgh had a couple a few years ago, but even then I think it was the Rockbass line not the full on German makes.

Guitar Guitar get the odd second hand one. I think that the Gallery in London always have a few in stock.

I think, as others have alluded to, the quite frankly insane pricing of new German-made Warwick basses has a lot to do with why they have all but disappeared from the UK retail scene compared with say, twenty years ago. In addition to that, though, Warwick are, according to some, a very difficult company for British retailers to deal with.

Funnily enough, I remember being at the Bass Centre at Wapping one day back in the early 1990's and a number of the staff, including,I think, the owner, were having an animated discussion about a big falling-out they were currently having with Warwick, for whom they were the UK distributors. So maybe they have a history of being, let us say, individually-minded.

[quote name='Swaffle88' timestamp='1479163256' post='3174507']
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a shop in Scotland that sells warwicks? Or anywhere?!
It seems quite difficult to come across these bad boys!
[/quote]
I was in Sofia, Bulgaria earlier in the year and went to a store there.

This is Music Division.The manager is Boris Raikov. www.musicdivision.bg.
Their retail prices are probably lower than UK prices as well.

About 5 years ago PMT in Manchester created a Warwick wall with neon signage and oodles high-end German models as well as some of the budget lines.

It's just an empty space of cobwebs and memories now... think they had a tough time shifting them at the prices... but for whatever reason they never re-stocked.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='A.G.E.N.T.E.' timestamp='1479223527' post='3174859']
What if he is looking for a Thumb? :)
I can remember at least 7348754 brands that copied other designs... but that´s not the question here.
[/quote]

True

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479239882' post='3175016']
I was in Sofia, Bulgaria earlier in the year and went to a store there.

This is Music Division.The manager is Boris Raikov. www.musicdivision.bg.
Their retail prices are probably lower than UK prices as well.
[/quote]

It can't be [i]that [/i]expensive to pop over to there for the day, maybe..?

Wunjo Guitars Denmark St in London and the Great British Bass Lounge in Manchester are the distributors and might stock them
Last Scottish shop was when i bought mine from Sound Control back in 89.

Probably better buying a 2nd hand 80's one if you can get it.
I had a Streamer II for few months as a loan while waiting on my Thumb bass and both are excelent with fantastic necks.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I've seen a corvette standard (German) for £300 just as a private sale.. Few scrapes here and there as its been gigged quite a bit..
Also a few guys here have messaged me about basses their selling which has been appreciated!
It looks like 2nd hand is the way to go cos the prices brand new are shockin 🤑

[quote name='Swaffle88' timestamp='1479244023' post='3175069']
I've seen a corvette standard (German) for £300 just as a private sale.. Few scrapes here and there as its been gigged quite a bit..
Also a few guys here have messaged me about basses their selling which has been appreciated!
It looks like 2nd hand is the way to go cos the prices brand new are shockin
[/quote]

Way to go. Just be warned, GAS can become addictive at the 'bargain' prices.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1479240580' post='3175022']
The Warwicks are in this parish. Wait until a good condition German corvette appears at the £350 - £450 mark. Can't go wrong for the money.
[/quote]

Not sure you will get a proper German one for that money, a Rockbass yes, Used German made ones tend to go for around £600 - £700 but if you see one for that money let me know :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1479242916' post='3175057']
Wunjo Guitars Denmark St in London and the Great British Bass Lounge in Manchester are the distributors and might stock them
Last Scottish shop was when i bought mine from Sound Control back in 89.

Probably better buying a 2nd hand 80's one if you can get it.
I had a Streamer II for few months as a loan while waiting on my Thumb bass and both are excelent with fantastic necks.

Dave
[/quote]

Warwick don't use distributors in the UK (or anywhere in Europe that I know of).

All sales are direct to dealers from Warwick in Germany.

It's not difficult to become a dealer but margins vs final sale price are high and they are very slow moving.

The full German models are astronomical now and the Pro Series Czech/German ones just seem in much demand so hardly anyone over here is sticking them.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1479253419' post='3175179']
Warwick don't use distributors in the UK (or anywhere in Europe that I know of).

All sales are direct to dealers from Warwick in Germany.

It's not difficult to become a dealer but margins vs final sale price are high and they are very slow moving.

The full German models are astronomical now and the Pro Series Czech/German ones just seem in much demand so hardly anyone over here is sticking them.
[/quote]

Got the shop names from the Warwick site dealers page. I don't know these shops personally but having looked at their websites while answering the post the bass lounge site looked quite good.
Maybe i've used wrong terminology and should have said shops rather than distributors. :)

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7