Why become a member? ×

Where's all the Warwicks?

Swaffle88

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1479403242' post='3176312']
I had many basses throughout the years, tried almost everything and it turned out that Spectors are the best for me in terms of ergonomics, playability and sound. (and looks :-) )
[/quote]

I've tried Spectors on a few occasions over the years - I'd have been happy to get one if only I got on with the necks, which I don't.

As for the actual topic, there's normally a few Warwicks at the Moffat Bass Bash, so you could get along to that and try one or two out to see if you can get on with the necks and other bits, then see about getting one off That Ebay for not much money.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1479391223' post='3176184']
Having just been through the process of buying my dream Warwick, I am all too familiar with their pricing and manufacturing options.

Back in the good old days Warwicks were all made in the German factory and you could pick your extras, like hardware colour, for free. These are now effectively classed as Custom Shop and Masterbuilt - in practice there is no difference between the two options other than whether you take the standard spec (Masterbuilt) or ask for a tweak or two (Custom Shop). These are only made to order - some shops will order them, but they are scarily expensive, bit like the Gibson Custom Shop. Warwick lean on them being made by experienced luthiers - I have no idea if this is a true distinction, and again, it's something that Gibson have been doing of late to justify high prices.

They then have the Teambuilt/Pro option, which used to be made in the Czech factory and finished in Germany but that is now back in Germany, albeit at a separate factory, so they can legitimately say are made in Germany, albeit "overseen" by the luthiers that make the Masterbuilt/Custom Shop ones rather than made by them. Standard specs only, and what is noticeable is that they quite often use different woods to the Masterbuilt models, and have a limited range of models. they are, however, about half the cost of a Masterbuilt - more in line with the Warwicks from the good old days. these are more widely available, but still not a huge amount of stockists.

There is then the Rockbass, which are made in China and now badged as a Warwick. Again, a limited range of models, but a third of the price of a Teambuilt. These are most of the "Warwicks" that you'll see in shops.

For a full run down of which workshop makes which basses:

[url="http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&&ctree=D0746768001321517432A47035|D0780229001321517432A47059"]http://shop.warwick....321517432A47059[/url]

As others have commented, the second hand price for original German built Warwicks is ridiculously low, basically a similar price to a new Rockbass...my feelings on this may have been significantly affected by my selling a couple of old ones to help finance my Custom Shop purchase. With the re-badging of Rockbasses as Warwick's I'd be very careful about any second hand purchase, although the Rockbasses I've tried have been fine, but I'd have been very annoyed if I thought I was buying a German one and it turned out that it wasn't.

I've also heard about them being a very difficult company for shops to deal with - I remember having to wait weeks for my first Streamer JazzMan, with GAK being the only place in the UK that had a confirmed order, and they'd been waiting some weeks beyond the original delivery date for it to show up. they told me that despite having the order confirmed, they had to wait for the boxes to arrive and open them up to see what they'd been sent that week. I had a similar response when buying another one from Thomann, that they had a confirmed order but could only tell me when they had been told to expect it, which from experience was no guarantee that it would arrive on that date.

the shame is that unlike, say ten or fifteen years ago, you can't find a shop that has a decent range of the German made basses to try out and see what you want - I first came across them when looking for an active five string in Denmark Street, and the Bass Cellar had the whole range (albeit that they didn't have the model that I wanted in a five string - hence my dealings with GAK). If I did the same today I don't think I'd be going for a new Warwick, just because I wouldn't be able to find anybody that had the whole range for me to try.

But for all that...they are great basses. Though having just spunked a huge amount of cash for one I would say that wouldn't i?
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying the various manufacturing options that Warwick are currently offering. I had been a bit confused up to now as to what actually constituted a proper German-made Warwick nowadays.

So essentially, what Warwick are now calling a Masterbuilt / Custom Shop bass is what I would call "a Warwick". I too remember when that's how they all were, and they didn't cost anything like the equivalent of what they do now.

To make an analogy, they are asking Rolls Royce money for a Volkswagen, if you follow my drift. Volkswagen are great cars, and Warwicks are great basses but you pays your money and you takes your choice. I can't imagine too many punters in the UK will be stumping up between four and six and a half grand for a Warwick bass. It's a classic case of being priced out of the market.

In the interest of balance, it has to be said that whoever owns Warwick is a business man not an altruist. I'm sure he knows what he is doing in terms of making a profit, and he is not under any onus to make his basses "affordable" . Over the years I've seen Warwick grow from being just another little independent bass-maker to what must be one of the biggest guitar companies in Europe, so in commercial terms he must be doing something right!

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1479499206' post='3177096']
Thanks for clarifying the various manufacturing options that Warwick are currently offering. I had been a bit confused up to now as to what actually constituted a proper German-made Warwick nowadays.

So essentially, what Warwick are now calling a Masterbuilt / Custom Shop bass is what I would call "a Warwick". I too remember when that's how they all were, and they didn't cost anything like the equivalent of what they do now.

To make an analogy, they are asking Rolls Royce money for a Volkswagen, if you follow my drift. Volkswagen are great cars, and Warwicks are great basses but you pays your money and you takes your choice. I can't imagine too many punters in the UK will be stumping up between four and six and a half grand for a Warwick bass. It's a classic case of being priced out of the market.

In the interest of balance, it has to be said that whoever owns Warwick is a business man not an altruist. I'm sure he knows what he is doing in terms of making a profit, and he is not under any onus to make his basses "affordable" . Over the years I've seen Warwick grow from being just another little independent bass-maker to what must be one of the biggest guitar companies in Europe, so in commercial terms he must be doing something right!
[/quote]

They are expensive, but they are incredibly well built now. Believe me, compare the basses that were built in the early 00's with the ones being built today and they are worlds apart. In my (rather extended) experience, the current Warwick builds are the best they have every built as a company. The build quality of my 2013 Streamer was notably better than the dozen or so eighties/early nineties Warwick basses I have been through.

The difficulty is they used to be cheaper, which makes them seem so expensive now. Ultimately though, their workshop will be very similar to other high end bass builders. Take Dingwall for example, they are not dissimilar in cost, but you rarely see as much bleating about Dingwall prices. The so called 'masterbuilt' basses are built using top end machinery in a workshop that only produces 250 or so instruments a year.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479511610' post='3177239']

They are expensive, but they are incredibly well built now. Believe me, compare the basses that were built in the early 00's with the ones being built today and they are worlds apart. In my (rather extended) experience, the current Warwick builds are the best they have every built as a company. The build quality of my 2013 Streamer was notably better than the dozen or so eighties/early nineties Warwick basses I have been through.

The difficulty is they used to be cheaper, which makes them seem so expensive now. Ultimately though, their workshop will be very similar to other high end bass builders. Take Dingwall for example, they are not dissimilar in cost, but you rarely see as much bleating about Dingwall prices. The so called 'masterbuilt' basses are built using top end machinery in a workshop that only produces 250 or so instruments a year.
[/quote] I have to totally agree.

I can't comment on the pre 2000 Warwick basses but i've got 5 from 2000 - 2007 and as someone who worked with woodwork professionally I'm really impressed with the build. The pockets of the bolt-on necks are the tightest I've come across on any bass, including bigger named manufacturers.

To my ears Warwick instruments have a clarity to the sound that I've simply never got out of anything else, and I have tried. I almost got there with a Fender once, but it drifted off.

I am fussy though as I only play bass solo. In the band mix it wouldn't matter as much.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479511610' post='3177239']

[/quote]

I take your point entirely, if you want top quality you have to pay accordingly. Nothing wrong with that.

My last point of reference is the early 2000's era Warwicks when they went over to the rather fat ovankol necks, and the overall quality seemed to have dropped a bit. I used to play them in Academy of Sound and Sound Control around that time. By comparison the late '80's to mid '90's Warwicks were wicked basses. I'm basically a Fender guy and not into hi-fi exotic wood basses, but Warwicks have a more gutsy sound than most of those kind of basses. The wood really seems to make a difference.

If you have played the more recent basses and they are of superior quality to any previous ones, then fair enough. I still think they are somewhat over-priced, recent fluctuation in the exchange rate not withstanding. Bear in mind that Warwick basses in the UK still benefit from the Single Market, a generally favourable exchange rate and relatively close proximity to the UK. Dingwall and other basses made in North America do not enjoy these advantages.

I used to have a Rockbass Fortress which I sold a few years back. Then I bought a Streamer LX4 Pro bass when they were sold cheap as they were bringing production back to Germany from Korea. I paid £395 from Thomann which was great value. Really pleased with it.
Incidentally, when i saw my first Spector, i thought they were probably owned by the same company. I have learned something from this thread

Edited by timmo

having recently got a Custom Shop Stage 1 5 string I have to agree that they are excellent basses - I'd say better built than my old Streamer Jazzman and easily as good as my old limited edition Corvette NT $$ (though I do feel sad that I had to flog them to fund the Custom Shop bass)

One weird thing though, which I didn't realise when I ordered it, is that all Masterbuilt/Custom Shop basses now come with rechargeable batteries for the active electrics which you charge with a USB lead. They do also come with wiring that you can swap for a standard battery.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1479386764' post='3176131']
Not sure what TLC entails but at this price it might be a bargain

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-streamer-bass-guitar-black-working-but-needs-tlc-/272447207498?hash=item3f6f1e784a:g:mY4AAOSwImRYJ0HJ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...Y4AAOSwImRYJ0HJ[/url]
[/quote]

£476 for a m***er with a broken neck... WOW

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1479574899' post='3177596']
£476 for a m***er with a broken neck... WOW
[/quote]

:D

Edited by gazzatriumph

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1479582285' post='3177669']
I notice that Warwick basses suffered a lot of problems neck. Wise bit of a joke considering what they cost
[/quote]

Since the volute was introduced in 1997ish I have not heard of many problems?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1479583984' post='3177695']
I have heard of quite a few Warwick truss rods breaking but this could be idiot user error BTW Im not a Warwick hater was just curious
[/quote]

Warwick supply a nice long truss-rod adjustment tool. It gives you lots of leverage; just perfect for overdoing the tension, if you don't know what you're doing. Nowt wrong with the bass.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I bought my Warwick from them in 2003 and it was customised. The price of the same model would be astronomical now, sadly. Also bought another in 2004 from their custom shop and it would be insane now. Sadly both of these are now worth much less than I bought them for!!! Odd eh![/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]There are some good bargains to be had for secondhand German ones on here. All of the Rockbasses I have tried are pretty horrible feeling in comparison to the German ones I have (sharp frets etc). I also have some Korean ones and they're much better, pretty close to the German ones actually.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I have seen some new Warwicks in Bass Direct (in Warwick eh) but there's only one or two. Some good Spectors in there too......[/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I first tried Warwicks at the Guitar Show in 2002 I think where they had a well-populated stand.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BTW I have Spectors and Warwicks and love them both. Yes they're different but both capable of a bewildering variety of tones, but then mine aren't Streamers so I can't comment on that debate.[/font]

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479583284' post='3177682']
Since the volute was introduced in 1997ish I have not heard of many problems?
[/quote]

Hey get back on topic :P