Why become a member? ×

Where's all the Warwicks?

Swaffle88

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479324962' post='3175699']
Strangely Warwicks seem to be advertised in the USA for far more than you'd ever expect to get for them in Europe.
Which is unexpected as Fenders, MM and most of the other mass-produced stuff is cheaper in the USA.
[/quote]

'Grass is greener' stuff - we pay over the odds for US imports, they pay too much for European stuff.

Japan is even more pronounced. Some locally produced instruments are dirt cheap and hard to sell but they'll pay a fortune for some American and European brands.

I suspect there are lots of people playing Warwick basses - just not that many who come on forums and talk about them a lot. In fact I've bumped into quite a few enthusiastic Warwick players.

They are a great instrument using quality components and construction and they have their own signature tone.

If you can get them for that price used then that's absolutely ludicrous when you consider some if the other stuff you could get for that price, some of which would be distinctly ubiquitous and decidedly average in comparison. Their upper range standard basses are easily in a par with Fender Custom Shop, as are Musicman, US Lakland and G and L - all of which quite wrongly get compared with the more run of the mill US basses.

I would not be deterred from buying a new Warwick if that's what I wanted - I'm pretty sure I'd be satisfied by what I received. There is a certain view on this forum that 'getting a used bargain' is somehow better than buying a brand new instrument - as someone who has done both, I have to say ordering and buying a brand new instrument is a great experience and gives a lot of pleasure which, for me, is usually beyond buying a used bargain. I have only once bought a used Musicman which has given me anywhere near the pleasure of those I've bought new - for those that have experienced it, it has some parallels with buying and bonding with a new car. I have no worry about the depreciation on basses - and with Brexit and other political lunatics about, such is the economic situation that there ain't too much depreciation anyway!!

For those who live for the used bargain, if that's what floats your boat then that's great.

A new Warwick would be quite a pleasure! I would find someone with some in stock and make a trip to try out - then maybe order what you want.

Edited by drTStingray

Mine was pricey back in 2001 when I ordered it from Academy of Sound at £1065. The equivalent model is listed at over £2400 these days, no longer comes with gold hardware (not to everyones taste I appreciate) and somehow just doesn't look the same instrument - not sure if they changed the shape or size a little since mine was built?

I haven't played a new one and certainly haven't seen them in shops for years but I assume they're still a quality instrument? The price premium on them is just daft these days - I wouldn't buy a new one now.

I won't be selling mine, it's my go-to instrument - it's recorded on most sessions I've done and have gigged all over the country with it. Other instruments I've had have come and gone but the Warwick has been a constant and just like the Trace gear that I love to play through, it may be out of fashion but it works for me and I don't feel the need to spend thousands chasing that elusive tonal horizon as I've already arrived. B)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479233157' post='3174954']
Some of us consider the Warwick Streamer design to be more refined. The Spector shape is more brutal; this could be why Spector get upset that Streamers are more prolific.
[/quote]

Brutal? Have you ever even seen a Spector in the flesh? Whatever the argument, the NS body shape is far from brutal. Ergonomic, flowing and organic, maybe. Yes, the Warwick body shape is a refined version, but they had to 'refine' the top-horn in order to.. well, we all know why.

I tried a Spector and didn't like the neck. Can't remember which model it was but it was 2nd hand just over £1000.
Its difficult to explain the neck feel but plank sounds apt to me. Not sure if it was because the neck edge was sharper than any of my own basses or the width or depth was quite different. It just felt rigid if that makes sense. Yep i know al necks are rigid but some feel more plank like than others :)

I didn't but it and went for a Dingwall instead. Some Sandberg basses have that same feel but others don't even tho they are same price range so not sure what Sandberg are doing with them to make them have that different feel. ???
If someone could explain what i'm talking about i would greatly appreciate it. :D

Otherwise i'm talkin P**h :D :D :D

Dave

Dave

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1479376377' post='3175995']

Brutal? Have you ever even seen a Spector in the flesh? Whatever the argument, the NS body shape is far from brutal. Ergonomic, flowing and organic, maybe. Yes, the Warwick body shape is a refined version, but they had to 'refine' the top-horn in order to.. well, we all know why.
[/quote]

Having owned both a Streamer LX and a Spector Euro, I'd say the Spector was by far the nicer version of the NS design. The Streamer was an amazing bass, don't get me wrong, but I'd take the Euro all day long.

[/quote]
[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1479380904' post='3176039']
Having owned both a Streamer LX and a Spector Euro, I'd say the Spector was by far the nicer version of the NS design. The Streamer was an amazing bass, don't get me wrong, but I'd take the Euro all day long.
[/quote]

I agree. For me the Spector NS shape is the most ergonomical design and "brutal" is not really the word that describes it the best.
Also I happen to like the Streamer, Ww put out some amazing ones, but I prefer the original NS design and Spectors in general.
Once had a Thumb NT5 from 1991, it was lovely but could not get used to the ergonomics of it (neck) Also the sound was a bit thin for me. Works great for fretless tho.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1479386764' post='3176131']
Not sure what TLC entails but at this price it might be a bargain

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-streamer-bass-guitar-black-working-but-needs-tlc-/272447207498?hash=item3f6f1e784a:g:mY4AAOSwImRYJ0HJ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...Y4AAOSwImRYJ0HJ[/url]
[/quote]

wow! you could grow spuds on that fretboard!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1479338147' post='3175858']
I suspect there are lots of people playing Warwick basses - just not that many who come on forums and talk about them a lot. In fact I've bumped into quite a few enthusiastic Warwick players.

They are a great instrument using quality components and construction and they have their own signature tone.

If you can get them for that price used then that's absolutely ludicrous when you consider some if the other stuff you could get for that price, some of which would be distinctly ubiquitous and decidedly average in comparison. Their upper range standard basses are easily in a par with Fender Custom Shop, as are Musicman, US Lakland and G and L - all of which quite wrongly get compared with the more run of the mill US basses.

I would not be deterred from buying a new Warwick if that's what I wanted - I'm pretty sure I'd be satisfied by what I received. There is a certain view on this forum that 'getting a used bargain' is somehow better than buying a brand new instrument - as someone who has done both, I have to say ordering and buying a brand new instrument is a great experience and gives a lot of pleasure which, for me, is usually beyond buying a used bargain. I have only once bought a used Musicman which has given me anywhere near the pleasure of those I've bought new - for those that have experienced it, it has some parallels with buying and bonding with a new car. I have no worry about the depreciation on basses - and with Brexit and other political lunatics about, such is the economic situation that there ain't too much depreciation anyway!!

For those who live for the used bargain, if that's what floats your boat then that's great.

A new Warwick would be quite a pleasure! I would find someone with some in stock and make a trip to try out - then maybe order what you want.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with what you say about the merits and pleasures of buying a brand new bass, but I can't help but think that full-tilt German-made Warwick basses are a special case in so much as in recent years they have become grotesquely over-priced.
Don't get me wrong they are lovely basses - I'd love to buy a sunburst hollow body Star Bass, same as the one Lee Sklar plays - but the German basses are currently weighing in at between just over four grand and rising to close to six with options that used to be standard on basses that retail for between one and two grand in the UK not all that long ago. It seems to me that the ordinary consumer is being asked to pay for Warwick's extensive worldwide network of endorsements. They are good basses, but there is nothing about them that elevates them to that retail level. They are essentially factory- made guitars.

Having just been through the process of buying my dream Warwick, I am all too familiar with their pricing and manufacturing options.

Back in the good old days Warwicks were all made in the German factory and you could pick your extras, like hardware colour, for free. These are now effectively classed as Custom Shop and Masterbuilt - in practice there is no difference between the two options other than whether you take the standard spec (Masterbuilt) or ask for a tweak or two (Custom Shop). These are only made to order - some shops will order them, but they are scarily expensive, bit like the Gibson Custom Shop. Warwick lean on them being made by experienced luthiers - I have no idea if this is a true distinction, and again, it's something that Gibson have been doing of late to justify high prices.

They then have the Teambuilt/Pro option, which used to be made in the Czech factory and finished in Germany but that is now back in Germany, albeit at a separate factory, so they can legitimately say are made in Germany, albeit "overseen" by the luthiers that make the Masterbuilt/Custom Shop ones rather than made by them. Standard specs only, and what is noticeable is that they quite often use different woods to the Masterbuilt models, and have a limited range of models. they are, however, about half the cost of a Masterbuilt - more in line with the Warwicks from the good old days. these are more widely available, but still not a huge amount of stockists.

There is then the Rockbass, which are made in China and now badged as a Warwick. Again, a limited range of models, but a third of the price of a Teambuilt. These are most of the "Warwicks" that you'll see in shops.

For a full run down of which workshop makes which basses:

[url="http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&&ctree=D0746768001321517432A47035|D0780229001321517432A47059"]http://shop.warwick....321517432A47059[/url]

As others have commented, the second hand price for original German built Warwicks is ridiculously low, basically a similar price to a new Rockbass...my feelings on this may have been significantly affected by my selling a couple of old ones to help finance my Custom Shop purchase. With the re-badging of Rockbasses as Warwick's I'd be very careful about any second hand purchase, although the Rockbasses I've tried have been fine, but I'd have been very annoyed if I thought I was buying a German one and it turned out that it wasn't.

I've also heard about them being a very difficult company for shops to deal with - I remember having to wait weeks for my first Streamer JazzMan, with GAK being the only place in the UK that had a confirmed order, and they'd been waiting some weeks beyond the original delivery date for it to show up. they told me that despite having the order confirmed, they had to wait for the boxes to arrive and open them up to see what they'd been sent that week. I had a similar response when buying another one from Thomann, that they had a confirmed order but could only tell me when they had been told to expect it, which from experience was no guarantee that it would arrive on that date.

the shame is that unlike, say ten or fifteen years ago, you can't find a shop that has a decent range of the German made basses to try out and see what you want - I first came across them when looking for an active five string in Denmark Street, and the Bass Cellar had the whole range (albeit that they didn't have the model that I wanted in a five string - hence my dealings with GAK). If I did the same today I don't think I'd be going for a new Warwick, just because I wouldn't be able to find anybody that had the whole range for me to try.

But for all that...they are great basses. Though having just spunked a huge amount of cash for one I would say that wouldn't i?

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479316094' post='3175596']

Troll.

If you ain't got nothing nice to say shut the F... up.

In fact why enter the thread if you've not nothing constructive to add?
[/quote]

I put a smiley to show it was a joke!
A flippant comment that was all.
Bit touchy int ya?

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1479397307' post='3176239']
I put a smiley to show it was a joke!
A flippant comment that was all.
Bit touchy int ya?
[/quote]

Yes, probably. I'm going to quit here. I've got a few things I'll finish up with. Then I'll get back to keeping offline.
Forums probably aren't for me.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479398576' post='3176252']

Yes, probably. I'm going to quit here. I've got a few things I'll finish up with. Then I'll get back to keeping offline.
Forums probably aren't for me.
[/quote]

No offence or malice was intended, please accept my apologies Grangur.
Maybe I should keep my "humourous" comments to myself too?
I did like the comment back from the OP that I was fugly too in his humble opinion, made me smile!
All the best,
Norm.

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1479401021' post='3176292']
No offence or malice was intended, please accept my apologies Grangur.
Maybe I should keep my "humourous" comments to myself too?
I did like the comment back from the OP that I was fugly too in his humble opinion, made me smile!
All the best,
Norm.
[/quote]
No offence taken to your comment. But TheGreek makes that comment about Spectors at every opportunity he gets - every single time he sees a thread about Warwicks.

On a side-note; I saw in another thread he's after a black tuner for a Spector that he wants to enter as a raffle prize for a bass-bash.

The funny thing is I've got one from a Warwick. It would do the job..... I'll be keeping it too

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479401211' post='3176296']
No offence taken to your comment. But TheGreek makes that comment about Spectors at every opportunity he gets - every single time he sees a thread about Warwicks.

On a side-note; I saw in another thread he's after a black tuner for a Spector that he wants to enter as a raffle prize for a bass-bash.

The funny thing is I've got one from a Warwick. It would do the job..... I'll be keeping it too
[/quote]

I had many basses throughout the years, tried almost everything and it turned out that Spectors are the best for me in terms of ergonomics, playability and sound. (and looks :-) )
I personally am aware of that issue between Spector and Warwick but I never cared for it really. I think it is a kind of water under the bridge and there are so many more important things to discuss about Spectors (or Warwicks or other basses) There are some people who keep having a problem with that issue and I'm fine with that, too.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479401211' post='3176296']

[/quote] Am i missing something here, Norm's comment was clearly just a joke and what does it matter if the Greek likes a bit of bass history ?...or are you about to put yours up for sale ? if so i dont think the comments will depreciate the value :)

[/quote]
I think it's the wrong time of the .... whatever. Sorry! :(

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479409459' post='3176385']
A request to please get back on topic - this thread is about where to buy Warwick basses and is not about Spectors or any other instruments. Enough with the bickering already :)
[/quote]good idea I don't see how this thread went wonky donkey anyway my mate reckons that you can buy new Warwick basses from Poland much cheaper than here dunno if that is true though