Why become a member? ×

Your Pink Floyd favorites. ?

bubinga5

Dark Side of the Moon for me. Seems to be a family thing - my elder brothers got me into Pink Floyd, and they were lucky enough to go to the Earls Court concert in '73. My late mum was a massive classical music fan, with hundreds (possibly thousands) of records in her collection. Only one was not classical - DSOTM.

It's the only album that I will still occasionally sit down in a darkened room with a glass of something warming and listen to from start to finish.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1478660707' post='3170718']
I may be a bit out there, but one of my all time fave Floyd tracks was written and sung by Richard Wright

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBC86e5cT5U[/media]
[/quote]

I believe the incredibly poignant slide guitar was Syd Barrett, guesting on the album.

I was a huge Floyd fan and partook of the Publius Engima for a time in the mid 1990s whilst replenishing my extensive PF bootleg collection with trades from all over the world on cassette (so much easier nowadays where you just download a torrent!). I drove to the Wall in Berlin in 1990, too, and still have my "Pink" mask from it. Persons were observed driving back along the Berlin Access Road autobahn with huge polystyrene "bricks" tied to the roof of their cars afterwards.

I always preferred Roger's grumpy, whinging and occasionally manic style to Fat Dave's sleepy blues, although the two together obviously work very well.

My fave Floyd-related moment is "Amused To Death". It is utterly fantastic.

Although I wouldn't say I was a massive fan - I've always liked them quite a lot... or a bit - depending on what year you asked me, or what mood I was in at the time lol. However, I was just going to answer as others have done - "comfortably numb"

But then I started thinking more about my fave tracks. And the whole of Dark Side of the Moon is pretty awesome really - especially "Money" and "Us and them". Then I suddenly thought of "Shine on you crazy diamond" and "wish you were here" and as I started to type this answer, while thinking of the earlier Syd Barrett stuff, I thought - you can't leave out the classic "See Emily play" - perhaps my favourite of them all?

Nice thread, as I'm already thinking of tracks from "Animals" and "Division Bell" but better close there
See, I'm more of a fan than I even thought I was ;)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1478734498' post='3171355']
"Learning to Fly" was my theme song for years - for the lyrics, not the sound, which chugs along a bit. For me it nails the daring and overcoming of terror to achieve a dream. Close to the bone.

"Time" - again the lyrics are almost unbearably true - how did Waters at 28 when he wrote it, understand so well how it feels when one is 60? It is going to be played at my funeral, in the Gilmour "Live at Gdansk" version - that guitar solo is again almost unbearably poignant. I can only listen to it once a year at most, headphones clamped on and weeping.
[/quote]I wonder if Roger Waters realised how poignant the lyrics on that whole album would be even now and probably forever.
'The papers hold their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paperboy brings more' screams desperation more than anything else to me.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1478762935' post='3171398']

Gilmour is my all time favorite guitarist. He can portray more with less notes than anyone I have listened to. The first solo in Comfortably Numb always makes me emotional.
[/quote]Wasn't he voted best guitarist of all time in Guitar Magazine about 5 times in a row?. Hendrix was second. I would go with that.

When it comes to technique and the ability to play in a lot of different styles there are a lot of much better guitarists.

But in terms of pure emotion and doing the right thing for the song Gilmore is pretty much at the top of the premier league.

I say that as someone who ,as a rule, doesn't really like long guitar solos.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1478791627' post='3171683']s.

I always preferred Roger's grumpy, whinging and occasionally manic style to Fat Dave's sleepy blues, although the two together obviously work very well.

My fave Floyd-related moment is "Amused To Death". It is utterly fantastic.
[/quote]

:) :)

PS wasn't that the almighty Jeff Beck on gitwrist duties ?

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1478737095' post='3171373']
don't want to hijack the thread, but if you were to pick one, who would you say was the 'best' in the band?
[/quote]

Gilmour is the one who stands out for me too.

I saw Roger Waters at the Mcr Arena several years back, and he had a second lead guitar player with him who was way better. I only found out years later it was Snowy White. Very high on my list of people to see live again if I ever get the chance.

I started listening to the Floyd when I was at school about 1991 and everyone else was listening to 808 State & The Prodigy.

Comfortably Numb is still in my top 10 all time favourite songs. An interesting fact is that Dave wanted the bass notes to sustain and Roger wanted them to stop after every note. They couldn't agree on it so they recorded it twice, once Dave's way and once Roger's way and spliced it together.

If you watch Echoes Part I from Live at Pompeii, when it gets to the point where camera comes around in front of the PA, I'm convinced that it gets louder but I think it's in the mind.

I have the vinyl copy of the Wall and at the time when I was dabbling in LSD, Mushrooms and so on I had a turntable that you could stop but the needle would still pick up the sound. I turned it backwards at the track "What Shall we Do Now" and heard the secret message. Probably the most scared I'd ever been in my life to hear a proper backwards recording.

The best gig I have ever been to to this day is still seeing the Floyd at Earls Court on 23rd October 1993. It cost me and my best mate £65 each to get a bus from Glasgow down to the gig. I stayed up for 54 hours that weekend and it is something I will never forget. The band were amazing.

Dave Gilmour has one of my favourite sounds. It's never shrill or unbearable like some. It's like velvet and just glides across the ears. I agree that he might not be "the best" which doesn't really mean anything but his sound and his choice of notes is incredible.

I like some Syd stuff - Bike was always my favourite, I like some of Saucerful but from Meddle onwards is where it is for me

The fact Gilmour can select the right tone, choice of notes and appropriate phrasing surely does make him one of the best. Personally I don't rate overrated plankspankers like Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen etc. Their solos all sound very similar as do the tones they use on all their tracks and the notes they play is the aural equivalent of throwing mud against the wall and hoping some will stick. Gilmour isn't that easy to mimic while there's some 14 year old French girl on You Tube nailing Eruption.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1478957302' post='3172957']
I've never 'got' Pink Floyd, and what I have heard does absolutely nothing for me.
[/quote]
This was me until I was given a ticket to see Dave Gilmour at the Albert Hall last year.

What an amazing show.