Why become a member? ×

I Love You Beatles, Oh Yes I Do!!!

thebrig

I'll just say sorry for yet another Beatles post first because I know it might irritate a few, but I feel they need some respect.

The Beatles seem to have been mentioned quite a bit recently in various threads, and a lot of the comments aren't always very complimentary, I'm always a bit baffled by this, ok, they might be everybody's cup of tea, especially now 50+ years later, but for me they were extremely influential.

I was eleven when I got my first guitar for Christmas, and me and my next door neighbour who was a year older than me had been messing around playing Shadow's stuff, but when [b]Love Me Do[/b] was released and we first heard the opening riff where the harmonica and the guitars came in, we thought [b]what is this?[/b]

It was just so much different to what we had heard before, don't forget that we only had about a hour of "youngster's music" on the radio a [b]week[/b] in those days, so we never really got to hear what was out there, Cliff and the Shadows and maybe a bit of Buddy Holly was about as raw as it got in 1962/3.

At the time I loved everything the Beatles did, they had an edge about them, unlike Cliff who as many have said in the Cliff's Roll Over Beethoven thread, he always sounds a bit too polite.

Yes, other bands soon followed like the Stones, the Who, Pretty Things, etc, who took the rawness even further, and then came the super groups like Cream, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, but for me, it was the Beatles who started it all, at the time they were different, original, and wrote amazing songs.

Now don't get me wrong, I did move on to preferring the bands I mentioned above, but I still love listening to the beatles music, and I can still sing along to almost every song word for word, and it brings back happy memories of the early to mid-sixties when I was really getting into music.

And I'm with Blue when he says, "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b][i]I'll never understand why you guys mock and have very little appreciation for this incredible part of music history which is yours[/i][/b]".[/font][/color]

Edited by thebrig

They get plenty of praise don't they, a film just out,cds and dvds galore a museum and tours,various fan sites and clubs etc etc etc

What you are saying is you want even more and from everyone including people who for whatever reason aren't that fussed for them?

You can have a sh*t in one hand and wish in the other, see what you are left with :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1478183517' post='3167360']
You can have a sh*t in one hand and wish in the other, see what you are left with :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
Stored ready for use, cheers

A local lad stevie riks does these great vids.
check out these

Elvis meets John Lennon
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfskjv-pOTY"]www.youtube....h?v=dfskjv-pOTY[/url]

Ringo makes Toast
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE45EM4POsw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XE45EM4POsw[/url]

Paul Macca makes a cup of tea..
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omt9NwR2njs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=omt9NwR2njs[/url]

Edited by funkgod

Similarly, one may read a pertinent, appreciative, innocent post on any topic, and come across a sh*t post from another member which adds little to the sum of human knowledge. Funny places, forums; apparently frequented by some pretty bored folks. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1478184673' post='3167371']
Similarly, one may read a pertinent, appreciative, innocent post on any topic, and come across a sh*t post from another member which adds little to the sum of human knowledge. Funny places, forums; apparently frequented by some pretty bored folks. :mellow:
[/quote]

I resemble that comment.

On the subject of the Beatles, I've only been on the forum about 18 months & the subject does seem to have been covered in some depth and with some frequency, often rearing up unexpectedly in the middle of a seemingly unrelated thread and carrying on for many, many pages.

Still, if people have forgotten the pain, trauma & angry recriminations of previous threads & want to do it again, so be it.

But there'll be tears before bedtime I tell ya 😉.

Edited by Cato

I don't see anyone denigrating the beatles on BC. Some will say "yeh, not my cup of tea" or words to that effect. I guess there have been a couple of more strongly worded posts intended to wind up a particularly stubborn member, but I can't think of anything recently. Got any specific examples?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1478188611' post='3167414']
I don't see anyone denigrating the beatles on BC. Some will say "yeh, not my cup of tea" or words to that effect. I guess there have been a couple of more strongly worded posts intended to wind up a particularly stubborn member, but I can't think of anything recently. Got any specific examples?
[/quote]
agreed, generally the response here is "i love the beatles" or "not my thing but i appreciate their impact". i think everyone who plays bass respects what the beatles were and the movement they started, there are some here that may not like them, but hey.... that's not a crime

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1478188611' post='3167414']
I don't see anyone denigrating the beatles on BC. Some will say "yeh, not my cup of tea"
[/quote]

For a fan (short for fanatical) this is not an acceptable or understandable stance to take. It's like a religion and it's fanaticals forcing their views on other people, it never ends well!

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1478189161' post='3167421']

agreed, generally the response here is "i love the beatles" or "not my thing but i appreciate their impact". i think everyone who plays bass respects what the beatles were and the movement they started, there are some here that may not like them, but hey.... that's not a crime
[/quote]

The Beatles are really not a like or not like proposition.

They were The Beatles that's all that needs to be said.

Blue

Edited by blue

My 1st ever single was EP called All My Loving in 1963 when i was only 3 yrs old. I still have that single and altho i've never been a huge fan i always enjoy hearing them.
Was at a 60th birthday sat night and the band was a tribute band called Thee Beatles and they were all in early to mid 20's but exceptional good and the bass player had an original Hofner bass and was left handed too.

Dave

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1478210631' post='3167652']
I'm just going to pop outside and check my lawn for groundhogs.
[/quote]
Also make sure Sonny & Cher aren't playing on your radio in the morning ;)

I'm afraid that the abbreviation for BassChat has been annexed, BC now means BeatlesChat :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1478212729' post='3167677']
I have no Beatles recordings but they did some great stuff. Like the Beach Boys, you may not have them high on your play list but you have to acknowledge the contribution that they have made.
[/quote]

Just cool stuff for me. I was probably 8 or 9 living in Southern Spain listening to the Beach Boys "Shut Down" album. I was introduced to The Beatles a short time after that.My Dad purchased "Something New" & "Meet The Beatles" for me. Good days.

Blue