Why become a member? ×

Provenance. Poll! We love a poll!

NancyJohnson

Interesting conversation yesterday concerning provenance. (That's a lot of letters for just five words.)

Assume you are buying a bass and had the choice option on two similar basses, let's say Fender Jazz basses, same year, same finish, similar condition. One is selling for £750, the other is previously owned by a big name bass player, was purportedly used on the #1 album he played on ten years ago and the seller has a nice letter from the big name dude to support this, however this bass is £1,500. A simple internet search also throws up photos of the guy playing it as well.

Would this sway you to pay more for the more expensive one?

Provenance isn't just about who has previously owned a bass; I'd probably be more likely to pay more for a bass if it came with original receipt, tags & all the serial numbers/year codes in the correct places than I would for a bass that had none of that stuff, especially for brands that people have been known to fake/bolt random bits together.

But would I pay more for a celebrity owned/played bass? Absolutely not.

I bought a '63 P Bass some years ago which I bought because it played and sounded fantastic. It was only after I'd bought it that I enquiried into whether there was any interesting history and was told the previous owner was Bruce Thomas. It would've been nice to have some paperwork to verify that, but that in itself wouldn't have made me buy it over another, superior instrument. So my answer to the poll must be, no.

Maybe a good question would be "how much extra would you pay for provenance that a bass was previously owned and played by.....(Insert name of your favourite bassist here). ?

I once saw an ex Mark King Status, being sold by Mark King for charity, go on ebay for £5,000.

I hope the new owner was really happy. I wouldn't have paid it.

Interesting discussion. I went with the comedy answer but otherwise it's "no" - with a caveat.

I wouldn't pay over the odds for an instrument with a "history" for myself, whoever had owned it. However I certainly would if I was pretty sure I could sell it on for a significant profit myself.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1473956988' post='3134533']
Interesting discussion. I went with the comedy answer but otherwise it's "no" - with a caveat.

I wouldn't pay over the odds for an instrument with a "history" for myself, whoever had owned it. However I certainly would if I was pretty sure I could sell it on for a significant profit myself.
[/quote]

[s]A man after my own heart[/s] That's a disgustingly outrageous outlook! How DARE you!?!?

Isn't this provenance thing all very dangerous in the long term? A bass owned and played by Xxxxxx Player, might be worth a bit now, but unless his/her name endures in music history, the value will drop rather than rise, surely?

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1473955899' post='3134514']
I bought a '63 P Bass some years ago which I bought because it played and sounded fantastic. It was only after I'd bought it that I enquiried into whether there was any interesting history and was told the previous owner was Bruce Thomas. It would've been nice to have some paperwork to verify that, but that in itself wouldn't have made me buy it over another, superior instrument. So my answer to the poll must be, no.
[/quote]

Wow no way?!

Never heard of him,that's the problem with 'famous' owned items :D

I'd only be interested in provenance if it was something I was already buying as security that I hadn't bought a lemon.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1473963711' post='3134606']
Bass player with Elvis Costello & The Attractions.
[/quote]

That's cool, but only as nerdy bass players, big money is only added once collectors from more than one buying group have an interest. Nice little addition rather than a value adding name imo.