Why become a member? ×

50ths and the like (your own)

lojo

Seems to be a bit of thing going on in my circles over the last few years , everyone planning and playing at their own 50th , got me thinking what I'll do if I make it (3 years)

So you planning to or played at yours ? What songs , did you do something as a one off away from your usual stuff ? Did you play all night and ignore your guests ?

Of course this goes for any birthday or celebrated gathering

Edited by lojo

My band played a gig the night before my 50th, on the actual day/night I just stayed in. I don`t drink so no going out celebrating, plus I was pooped after the gig the night before. I`d actually been dreading hitting 50, in much the same respect as I did 30, though 40 didn`t bother me at all. Well I never said I was normal. And once I got to 50, no difference.

Edited by Lozz196

Just had mine a few weeks ago and yes i played at my own party. We booked a regular gig at our favorite pub some time ago and we had the choice of dates as we are one of their favorite bands. The gig was on a Saturday night the day before my birthday. It does sound a strange idea but it was something i wanted to do. I also wanted to celebrate with some musical friends and have them as guests. The idea was also to get a few bass player friends up so i could take a few songs out so i too could watch the band. As it was the summer holidays a few couldn't make it but there was enough variety with drummers, vocalist and a bass player. It was quite a party as well as a gig. Needless to say i got quite drunk as i was kept topped up with JD.

We have to do it all again in December as it's the guitarists 50th!

Our lead guitarist is 40 next year and has already made it clear that he wants us to play at his do, which is fine by me.

Our frontman got married a couple of weeks ago and there was vague talk of us getting up to do a couple of tunes at the reception, but for whatever reason it didn't happen - a pity, as we were all up for it!

Had a Do for my 50th acouple of years ago, big function place with a stage, got a lot of my friends there, a lot of whom are musicians, sooooooo...yeah, I played it. :D

Even bigger bonus, all my friends chipped in to the Shuker Bespoke Build Fund, so I have a fantastic bass bought largely by my friends which, obviously, I'll never sell... :)

When it was mine, I played the first hour but included some of my personal fave songs (which we don't usually play) Then a bassist pal of mine took over and (as I am also the singer) individual friends (non musicians) joined the band and sang one each. Was all planned so everyone knew what they were singing, and I printed lyrics for them. Was absolutely ace, at the end was a bit of a free for all and I ended up singing the last couple as I was too razzled to play too. Despite their initial nerves, the guest singers wanted to do more once they'd had their turn. Great night.

I think those that know me far too well will realise that one of the reasons I've started to play is so I can Play at my own 50th in 3 years time. By then I should be playing something worth listening to; ATM my aim for my 48th in April next year is to play along to 48 Crash by Suzi Quattro, the first song I remember listening to as a kid.

I have a loose plan. It won't be a function. Probably more a Jules Holland style thing where I sit in with various different musicians playing different styles.

A bit of jazz, some pop, classic rock, heavy metal... Some disco music on the iPod for in between sets.

A bar.

It takes no real planning other than booking the hall and sending out invites, asking people to play and booking a buffet.