Why become a member? ×

Never been gigged ??? ??? ???

Dandelion

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1470157012' post='3103704']
A quote often seen on basses for sale adverts.

Why does it make a difference?
[/quote]
Similar to some on here feeling that any instrument that has been displayed for any amount of time in a music shop is ex-demo.

I`m not sure on this at all, it makes no difference to me, an instrument can be gigged extensively and kept in perfect condition, or never gigged and never looked after at home. It`s the condition, playability, and all parts working that matter to me.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1470157149' post='3103707']
Similar to some on here feeling that any instrument that has been displayed for any amount of time in a music shop is ex-demo.
[/quote]
That's just optimistic oportunism

Yeah I'm happy with stuff that's gigged regularly if that means it's a good bit of gig worthy kit that properly maintained and set up etc.

Quite a few of my instruments were scuffed and old when I got them cos the previous owner evidently played the arse off them for a number of years! But they play great.

I've got a mate who seldom gigs but his gear is in a state purely cos it stays at home, gets dusty, strings never get changed and rust etc.

I'd take a good working guitar over a neglected one anyday

This thread also reminds me of the other advert fave... "Unwanted gift" Who gets £400, £500, £600 basses as birthday presents? And who is it doing the giving and, more importantly why are none of them my auntie? I'm lucky if I get a pair of socks and a CD!

I used to practise in our garage. It was a house in the country. We had dogs, cats, goats, garden machinery in there. Our roads were covered in slurry and muck. I drank and smoked in there. As did many of my mates. Everything looked like it was giggled. But wasn't.

"Never gigged" can still be "as if gigged".

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1470258561' post='3104620']
I had to a do a gig at a pub for Tramlines in Sheffield which was outside and for at least half of the gig it was raining. Luckily I was shielded for the majority, but it probably didn't do the instrument much favours...
[/quote]

That there is real mojo! :)

Gear does get knocked about but mostly through transportation IME, esp if not flight cased. If it is flight cased, it's yer shins and arms and inside of the car that get knocked about instead !

But transport to/from rehearsals is just as wearing. So unless the gear has never been out of the house................?!

LD