Why become a member? ×

Never been gigged ??? ??? ???

Dandelion

All of my basses have been gigged within days of buying them, in at least two cases, on the day of purchase (one of my Precisions was gigged while deciding whether to buy it or not, I still have it so it must have passed!)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1470260712' post='3104652']
All of my basses have been gigged within days of buying them, in at least two cases, on the day of purchase (one of my Precisions was gigged while deciding whether to buy it or not, I still have it so it must have passed!)
[/quote]

We don't gig that often so it may be a while before my Yamaha get's gigged. I am determined that basses shouldn't be ornaments just to look at.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1470252129' post='3104532']
This thread also reminds me of the other advert fave... "Unwanted gift" Who gets £400, £500, £600 basses as birthday presents? And who is it doing the giving and, more importantly why are none of them my auntie? I'm lucky if I get a pair of socks and a CD!
[/quote]

Ask BC'er Dolando. I happen to know that he just got a very nice looking '75 Jazz from his family for his 30th. However it appears to be very much wanted!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470157407' post='3103712']
I`m not sure on this at all, it makes no difference to me, an instrument can be gigged extensively and kept in perfect condition, or never gigged and never looked after at home. It`s the condition, playability, and all parts working that matter to me.
[/quote]

I think the issue is there is far less chance of an instrument which has been used for home use only being immaculate than one that's been gigged. Take my LM3 as an example - it has quite a few scratches, accumulated over several hundred gigs - if it had sat at home it would have none.

I guess the analogy (well back in the 60s and 70s) would be sports cars or sports variants of saloons being advertised as never raced or rallied - i.e. Not thrashed to within an inch of their life.

I'm lucky enough to have bought such a bass (though I only found out after I'd bought it that the guy hadn't used it for years) - a pristine 25 yr old Stingray fretless - one of those instances where luck is really on your side!

It's like "one lady owner" on a car sale, it kind of depends- you can't realistically have any expectations about what actual state it will be in, neglected or fine, gigged but battered or gigged but cared for and perfectly setup

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1470264173' post='3104692']Take my LM3 as an example - it has quite a few scratches, accumulated over several hundred gigs - [/quote]To me, that is a very positive thing: if someone loved it enough to use it heavily, it must have had something going for it I figure.

LD

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1470264155' post='3104691']

Ask BC'er Dolando. I happen to know that he just got a very nice looking '75 Jazz from his family for his 30th. However it appears to be very much wanted!
[/quote]

Do you have his mum's email and do you know if she's interested in adopting?

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1470252129' post='3104532']
This thread also reminds me of the other advert fave... "Unwanted gift" Who gets £400, £500, £600 basses as birthday presents? And who is it doing the giving and, more importantly why are none of them my auntie? I'm lucky if I get a pair of socks and a CD!
[/quote]

Surely, anyone who gets a 500 quid bass as a present and then sells it because they don't "want" it, is just an ungrateful bastard :lol:

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1470341130' post='3105391']

Do you have his mum's email and do you know if she's interested in adopting?
[/quote]

I'm afraid not although I could probably message her on facebook for you ;).

Actually, messaging my mate's mum on facebook might be a bit weird!!!

Edited by Painy

Several years ago I bought a bass new, played it for a while and then sold it after a year or so in very good condition. The buyer didn't use it much and sold it on Gumtree a few months later. The odd thing was, he used the phrase "never been gigged" without knowing if it was true or not. As it happens, there is video on Youtube of said bass being gigged at a rowdy Hogmanay gig in a packed venue, but never mind!

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1470343515' post='3105416']

Surely, anyone who gets a 500 quid bass as a present and then sells it because they don't "want" it, is just an ungrateful bastard :lol:
[/quote]

Me and ebs_freak collected my USA strat from a kid in Surrey, his uncle bought it for him in 1997 over ten years before I purchased it from him, we worked it out the kid must have been 6 or 7 years old at most and couldn't play a note! It was dusty with a few scuffs but the frets and pickups were as new, never been played.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1470343515' post='3105416']

[/quote]

I got bought a 50's classic P by my ex.

Sold it when I found out she'd spent all of my money and we broke up.