Why become a member? ×

Why are music stands not acceptable in guitar bands?

thebrig

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1468014143' post='3088168']
I am not sure where all this leaves Anthony Jackson.
He uses a chair AND a music stand.

On Big Band Charts, you don't need to turn pages.
It's all so fast that you end before the page turn.
Look here, AJ proves it from his chair.
[media]http://youtu.be/tZOCdrwGch4[/media]
[/quote]

All very impressive and slick, great musicianship and all that.

Not much of a tune, is it? Nor is it particularly memorable.

I guess you had to be there.

Fantastic Anthony Jackson video.

I'll be depping without charts or safety net tonight. The Band Leader apparently sent the set list to the wrong email.

If finally getting it right by the third verse is good enough then this is going to be a great night. For me I know it will be a bad night of cock ups and bodges as I don't know most of his songs.

Music stands have their place.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1467970385' post='3087614'] Besides being abysmally uncool, music stands usually screw up any photos you may take of the band that try to show anyone that's not the frontperson. Fie, fie, fie!!!!!!! :lol: :modspank: [/quote]

I agree ...no stands on stage, (edit... Unless its a dep player, or a big band type )
i run a 13 piece funk band with a 5 piece brass section.

When people come to see you, they want to be entertained.
for my band..
when you have 5 stands ( for brass) on stage, that blocks out half the stage as bluejay says this messes up the view for everyone, and looks bad.

I have found Brass players are Lazy musicians ...period, and if you let them get away with it they will opt for dots because they dont have to learn the songs,
this looks pants, no one wants to look at players staring at notes it dissociates them from the audience and the band, as they are not interacting with the band or the audience, they are slaves chained to whats infront of them.

so i reckon its the same for rock bands,

Dont forget we are there to entertain, someone could take a photo at anytime and bluejay will capture you forrrreeeveerrrrrrrrrrr[size=2][size=3]rrrr[/size]r[/size][size=2]rrr[size=1]rrrrrrrr[/size][/size][size=1][size=5][size=4][size=5]....[/size]....[/size][/size][/size][size=1]........[/size] . .

you dont want to look like you are not enjoying yourself, do you.
shoe gazers look crap no matter how good they are, so do people staring at stands. :sorry:

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1467970686' post='3087619']
It's ok for a classical quintet to use music stands. The likes of SikTh, Periphery, Meshuggah and other bands that are playing arguably as complex music, not so.
[/quote]

There is a reason for this. An orchestra is playing something that they have had no hand in writing. If you're doing a dep gig with ludicrously short notice then stands are acceptable too as neither of these scenarios are the fault of the performer.

However, if Misha Mansoor went onstage with a stand, my respect for him would end and I'd bottle him. Immediately. I would then leave the venue and go home and burn my Periphery albums. Why you ask? Because he wrote the songs. I don't care how technical they are (I've been auditioned for bands by way of an instrumental Periphery song or even Meshuggah) if I can play them without charts or even vocal cues then the folk who wrote them can too. Plus in the case of a djent or progressive metal band you'd just look like a bellend going onstage with a stand.

None of this is to say that I can't read music of course, as I can and could do a sight reading gig if I had to, it's just I consider for the medium I play in and write in, it's just wrong and I'd never be given sheet music.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1468067920' post='3088397']
So a depping sax player isn't allowed a stand, must learn the whole set off by heart possibly for a one of gig perhaps £50-100?
[/quote]

unless its a dep ( edited post) ;)

"Box" stands with printed logos are expected for big band gigs.
I learnt all the bass lines for soul/rock band I used to be in. The repetition and relatively simple song structures helped. I could not possibly do that for the big band set; it is a whole different level of complexity and the pad is huge. It can be done but I have to accept not by my brain.

I can't afford a music stand as my band gigs for free because we have no talent.
Being talentless means we can't remember how any songs go so we don't play anything.
It's an unbreakable cycle but we're all happy because we're in a rock band and the punters are happy because they can hear themselves speak.
Sometimes it seems silly but I learnt it all on Basschat so it must be the way to go.

OP here, trust me to put the mockers on my band's gig tonight by starting this thread on music stands.

Our frontman has cried of with a viral throat infection, so rather than cancel the gig, our drummer is going to take on the vocals, but as he's had no time to prepare, we are going to have to allow him to have the dreaded music stand for the lyrics, but I suppose there are special exeptions and this is one of them.

And we are lucky that he is a decent singer and can drum at the same time. :)

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1468070931' post='3088421']
I can't afford a music stand as my band gigs for free because we have no talent.
Being talentless means we can't remember how any songs go so we don't play anything.
It's an unbreakable cycle but we're all happy because we're in a rock band and the punters are happy because they can hear themselves speak.
Sometimes it seems silly but I learnt it all on Basschat so it must be the way to go.
[/quote]

This would never happen in Milwaukee,shame on you.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468072260' post='3088435']
OP here, trust me to put the mockers on my band's gig tonight by starting this thread on music stands.

Our frontman has cried of with a viral throat infection, so rather than cancel the gig, our drummer is going to take on the vocals, but as he's had no time to prepare, we are going to have to allow him to have the dreaded music stand for the lyrics, but I suppose there are special exeptions and this is one of them.

And we are lucky that he is a decent singer and can drum at the same time. :)
[/quote]you know I think maybe I should get a music stand, our singer (a complete hypochondriac) is always saying he won't get through the gig because of a bad throat, one of these days he might not, so I might finish up on vocals, then I would need a music stand fot the lyrics

[/quote]

I nominate this post as the winner!

[/quote]

Next you will be telling us you don't need to use a compressor

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1468073885' post='3088455']
you know I think maybe I should get a music stand, our singer (a complete hypochondriac) is always saying he won't get through the gig because of a bad throat, one of these days he might not, so I might finish up on vocals, then I would need a music stand fot the lyrics
[/quote]You know what, I was thinking of starting a thread on the very subject of singers/vocalists crying off with sore throats, I've played in about ten bands, and I think I can honestly say that every single frontman in those bands has cried off at least once with a sore throat, obviously we have to take their word for it, but I do sometimes think that it's their version of a bad back that some people use when they want a day off work. <_<

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468079080' post='3088488']
You know what, I was thinking of starting a thread on the very subject of singers/vocalists crying off with sore throats, I've played in about ten bands, and I think I can honestly say that every single frontman in those bands has cried off at least once with a sore throat, obviously we have to take their word for it, but I do sometimes think that it's their version of a bad back that some people use when they want a day off work. <_<
[/quote]

Should you start such a thread, I shall be there!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468079080' post='3088488']
You know what, I was thinking of starting a thread on the very subject of singers/vocalists crying off with sore throats, I've played in about ten bands, and I think I can honestly say that every single frontman in those bands has cried off at least once with a sore throat, obviously we have to take their word for it, but I do sometimes think that it's their version of a bad back that some people use when they want a day off work. <_<
[/quote]that's because most singers are narcissists, it's their way of showing how important they are, having said that I do a bit of singing at open mics and if you have got a bad throat it is very difficult to sing properly, especially for up to 2 hours, our singer has never cried off in 10 years, but he certainly lets us know what a trooper he is for carrying on, almost every gig (well it seems like that) he tells us he doesn't know whether he'll be able to do the second half, one of these days he won't be able too

• 1 month later...

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1468063109' post='3088366']
I have found Brass players are Lazy musicians ...period, and if you let them get away with it they will opt for dots because they dont have to learn the songs,
this looks pants, no one wants to look at players staring at notes it dissociates them from the audience and the band, as they are not interacting with the band or the audience, they are slaves chained to whats infront of them.

...shoe gazers look crap no matter how good they are, so do people staring at stands. :sorry:
[/quote]
With you all the way there.

As the bass player in a seven piece Funk Band - apart from our keys player who must be some kind of octopus...! the bass player has a sh*t load of stuff to learn for a set.

But you have to learn it so you can then start to FEEL it and lock with the drummer. You can't do that if you're reading the dots or tabs.

Yeah a good horn player makes it come alive and I know they need the dots to work well together, but learning it is the only way.

Edited by dontregartha

[quote name='dontregartha' timestamp='1473284721' post='3128789'] With you all the way there. As the bass player in a seven piece Funk Band - apart from our keys player who must be some kind of octopus...! the bass player has a sh*t load of stuff to learn for a set. But you have to learn it so you can then start to FEEL it and lock with the drummer. You can't do that if you're reading the dots or tabs. Yeah a good horn player makes it come alive and I know they need the dots to work well together, but learning it is the only way. [/quote]

Cool, send me PM with a link to your band, and al put a link on our site, trying to communitise funk bands ...
("communitise" ? i dont think thats a word..... sounds good tho, am usin it)
We have an idea to do a "funkfest" soon, so its good to get contacts.

but yea, dotts for practice, but on stage i want to see movement ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb-YiYyo9tw

Classical musicians. Lots of stuff to play. No way they can remember it all ... meh.

Perhaps if, like Andre Rieu or Nigel Kennedy or Nicola Benedetti, they bothered to learn the 200-year old tunes ... they might make a few quid out of actually entertaining people instead of sitting around in a semi-circle peering at sheets of music and flipping pages with strange foot pedal gizmos.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1473345108' post='3129368']
Classical musicians. Lots of stuff to play. No way they can remember it all ... meh.

Perhaps if, like Andre Rieu or Nigel Kennedy or Nicola Benedetti, they bothered to learn the 200-year old tunes ... they might make a few quid out of actually entertaining people instead of sitting around in a semi-circle peering at sheets of music and flipping pages with strange foot pedal gizmos.
[/quote]

TBF the original post was guitar bands but that has never stopped Basschat getting in a twist!