Why become a member? ×

Why are music stands not acceptable in guitar bands?

thebrig

Look at my face - "not bothered". I don't think the audience cares as long as a good show is delivered. I don't even own one - prefer to print out on A4 paper in big bold type and place on floor. On dep gigs where the band have their own arrangement of a tune its important to know where the changes are. I'd rather someone use a stand though than make mistakes.

I use a stand to hold the big Galaxy tablet that controls the digital mixer but I put it sideways at the rear of the stage near my amp, does this count or does it need to be in front of me and does it need to have dots on it before people can 'quite rightly' walk out of the gig before the first note is played?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1473451310']
I don't think I've ever seen a pro band with music stands / tablets etc on stage.
[/quote]

I recall seeing video of Bruce Springsteen (possibly on Youtube, I can't remember) doing some big stadium gig, where a quick snip of footage shows that what appears to be a monitor at front of stage is, in fact, an autocue with scrolling lyrics...

Last year I went to see a band that I was in at one time and the singer guitarist had his face in his A4 folder through the entire gig. And there was zero interaction with the punters. It looked very unprofessional.

That was maybe an extreme example but I see nothing wrong with having an ipad on a bracket, attached to the mike stand. If you ever see a Stereophonics gig, Kelly Jones has some monitors in front of him. One of these is a tv with the words scrolling down. I wouldn`t mind but he wrote the blooming words!!

I'm having to use one tonight. Bought one for the occasion. First gig with what could turn into new band and I am doing all of the singing. Next to the PA speaker where I can see it. Need prompts for about half of the set list. Will hopefully not need it in a little while.

Edited by 12stringbassist