Why become a member? ×

Why are music stands not acceptable in guitar bands?

thebrig

Maybe a bit of a stupid/pointless question, but [i][b]why are music stands not acceptable in guitar bands?[/b][/i]

Just so you all know, I can't read music notation, and I'm one of those who [b][i]doesn't[/i][/b] like music stands in the type of bands that I play in, which are just your normal pub type covers bands.

What got me thinking was when I read KevB's post in the "TAB vs tab" thread where he posted, "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i][b]I'm not playing in bands that require sight reading, in fact it would be rather frowned upon in a live situation[/b][/i]", and I know exactly what he means, but when it's the norm for most other forms of live music to see musicians with music stands in front of them, why is it different for us guitar based bands? even a lot of ukulele bands I've seen have stands in front of them.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is it because most musicians in guitar based bands can't read music, or is it just an image thing, or both? :unsure:[/font][/color]

It's because guitarists aren't proper musicians. ;)

Seriously though, In theory I don't mind musicians having stands in front of them if needed [i]per se[/i], but I don't do it myself. No band I've ever been in has used them. Having to sort bits of paper out at gigs is one more chore on the list I don't need, as far as I'm concerned. And I like to be well-rehearsed.

What really gets on my tater tots is when singers have a music stand in front of them - because they haven't bothered to learn the lyrics. Worse is when they read the lyrics from a phone or tablet. And have to wear their reading glasses to peer myopically at the words. How crap does that look? It's insulting to the audience in my opinion. The punters bothered to turn up and listen to you, the least you can do is learn the bloody material properly!! Amateurs!

Edited by discreet

It's all about image.

No stands means you've learnt the songs.

I use a music stand because I'm either depping, playing with occasional bands or playing with guitarists who can be rather flexible with the arrangements. I never rehearse in any of these situations, so I'll use all help I can get.

In the old days I never used stands because we rehearsed a lot and wanted to look "cool".

I had to use one recently to hold chord charts with my notes scribbled all over them, as I joined an originals band who played a gig a week later... I'd have had no chance to learn the full set around my day job... I looked like a bit of a nob but then again I usually do anyway.

... besides it was an originals gig so there was no-one there to see me anyway :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467970072' post='3087608']
It's because guitarists aren't proper musicians. ;)

Seriously though, I don't mind musicians having stands in front of them if needed [i]per se[/i], but I don't do it myself. Having to sort bits of paper out at gigs is one more chore on the list I don't need, as far as I'm concerned.

What really gets on my tater tots is when singers have a music stand in front of them - because they haven't bothered to learn the lyrics. Worse is when they read the lyrics from a phone or tablet. And have to wear their reading glasses to peer myopically at the words. How crap does that look? It's insulting to the audience in my opinion. The punters bothered to turn up and listen to you, the least you can do is learn the bloody material properly!! Amateurs!
[/quote]
In my last band our vocalist/guitarist/frontman who was probably the best guitarist I have ever played with insisted on using an iPad attached to his mic stand, admittedly, it looked a lot better than a full-blown music stand, but the problem was when he got to the bottom of the page, he would stop playing for a second or two to flick to the next page, it looked and sounded so unprofessional as his guitar dropped out of the mix, after the gig, punters would say things like, great guitarist, decent vocalist, but he didn't look at the audience all night.

Because there is an unspoken/unwritten rule that says pop/rock music performances are about more than simply playing notes.

However having seen how many musicians spend most of the gig staring intently either at their hands or their feet, rather than interacting with the audience and looking as though they are enjoying being there, they might as well have a music stand up there.

Classical musicians, for example, use stands because a) the music tends to be more complex, and b) they can be playing a high turnover of long pieces... eg. a new one each week. Guitar bands tend to play without stands because they have an established set list which they could be playing each week for years (ideally, you will learn new songs and end up with a decent sized set list to call upon).
Classical soloists don't use stands because a) they engage with the audience more (like guitar bands) and b) they tend to be guest artists... so they may travel widely playing the same few pieces with different orchestras... so they have more chance of memorising fewer pieces.
When I started playing sax with a various bands I started out with a music stand, but it got to the point where it became a bit serious (giving up the day job territory) and the music stand was a bit naff and unprofessional, so I put in the extra effort to learn the stuff. I've been in a few bands where the vocalist has had the written lyrics in front of him... I think this is pretty poor and always end up quitting.
I suppose it's all a question of projecting the right image for the type of music you're playing... guitar bands have their own conventions just as much as classical ensembles... and it's all good fun.

Edited by Trueno

Loads of musos use stands here in France and there appears to be no stigma attached to it. However, not for me. I'd rather be interacting with the band or audience. On the odd occasion where I do need notes, it's on a sheet on the floor in BIG writing :lol: next to the set list.

I have now managed to convince all the band that we look better without them.

I saw Rick Wakeman play many years ago. It was mostly just him but for part of the show he had a bassist (can't remember his name) who used a music stand, which was a little surprising but no big deal.

I suppose it all depends on whether the gig is just about the music or is more theatrical. The Stones with music stands would look pretty daft.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1467972233' post='3087642']
On the odd occasion where I do need notes, it's on a sheet on the floor in BIG writing :lol: next to the set list.
[/quote]

That works... for depping or new songs. Depends where you stand, but I've gaffa'd a few notes on the back of a PA speaker... in thick pen and large letters. Sometimes it's just the fact that you know it's there.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1467972519' post='3087646']
The Stones with music stands would look pretty daft.
[/quote]

Last time I saw them live, they could have used some. Keef in particular clearly couldn't remember how quite a few songs went ...

I've played in bands where anything was OK and bands who wanted everyone to dress the same, or banned jeans, or banned charts and one where we had to do the Bootsy Collins shuffle during the numbers.

Some of the least professional have been the guys trying to control the image.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1467972952' post='3087652']

That works... for depping or new songs. Depends where you stand, but I've gaffa'd a few notes on the back of a PA speaker... in thick pen and large letters. Sometimes it's just the fact that you know it's there.
[/quote]

Ha! Glad it's not just me then :). I usually add the first note and sometime the song chords to my playlist and tape it somewhere discreet. As you rightly say, it's usually a safety net that's not needed, but very nice to have when it is!