Why become a member? ×

Coldplay at Glastonbury zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1466979689' post='3080254']
I know it's all been said before about them, so I'm sorry if I upset anybody here, but I've just finished watching Coldplay at Glastonbury and I really did struggle to stay awake. :(
[/quote]

Why does everyone feel the need to prefix criticism by apologising? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, some will agree, some will disagree!

I watched about 30 seconds and decided it was time for bed (yes, 9.00pm and I'm grown up and everything).

I just don't get Coldplay and never have. Clearly, they have passion for it (and they're clearly adored) and they all seem to be nice enough guys, but I find them so dull musically that they leave me cold. Same goes with Muse. Same goes a lot of these festival headliners.

Edited by NancyJohnson

So why did you struggle to watch it? I found it easier to just not watch it as I don't like coldplay!
Having said that, all my friends at glastonbury who also don't like coldplay really enjoyed the show. I think maybe they are one of those groups that you have to be there for.

I'm not a fan of Coldplay but I just saw, via Facebook, their tribute to Viola Beach - the young band who was lost earlier this year in a tragic accident.
Fair play to Coldplay, I imagine those boy's families will have loved that:

http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1052839914810632&id=353393028088661

Another one who is not a particular fan of Coldplay but have to say I enjoyed the performance. I doubt if I could have only listened though. The visuals were a big part of the show.

Surprised that no one has mentioned Guy Berryman’s bass sound.
Thought it was absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1467010801' post='3080332']
I'm not a fan of Coldplay but I just saw, via Facebook, their tribute to Viola Beach - the young band who was lost earlier this year in a tragic accident.

http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1052839914810632&id=353393028088661
[/quote]

Yes - that was a classy, gracious thing to do.

On the subject of their music, I lost interest after their third or fourth album. The debut, Parachutes, is one of my favourite albums and takes me back to a good time in my life. Their recent output leaves me a bit cold though. They seem to me to be happy to sacrifice credibility for the pop dollar.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1467015343' post='3080365']
Yes - that was a classy, gracious thing to do.

On the subject of their music, I lost interest after their third or fourth album. The debut, Parachutes, is one of my favourite albums and takes me back to a good time in my life. Their recent output leaves me a bit cold though. They seem to me to be happy to sacrifice credibility for the pop dollar.
[/quote]

The first album was great. The more produced they went... and the more they went down the "lets write anthems", I began to lose interest. Can't knock the boys though, they certainly know what the public want.

I watched about 95% of it and enjoyed it. Most songs are very hooky and they put on a decent show. The sight of that many people having a ball enhances things massively too.
So many points- the Spinal Tap egginess when they stopped re tuning issues (we've all been there), the obvious howlers on the piano, the cringey karaoke at the end, all made it very real and a contrast to the uber-slick productions we get used to these days which sometimes make me feel like it doesn't matter if there's an audience.
The Viola Beach moment was a lovely touch.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1467016608' post='3080381']
I flossed my dog's teeth then cleaned out the u-bend in our toilet.
[/quote]

Well done that man - when oh when will people realise there are far more important things than music..?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1467007539' post='3080314']
Why does everyone feel the need to prefix criticism by apologising? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, some will agree, some will disagree!

I watched about 30 seconds and decided it was time for bed (yes, 9.00pm and I'm grown up and everything).

I just don't get Coldplay and never have. Clearly, they have passion for it (and they're clearly adored) and they all seem to be nice enough guys, but I find them so dull musically that they leave me cold. Same goes with Muse. Same goes a lot of these festival headliners.
[/quote]
Ok, I won't beat around the bush, I thought Coldplay were just downright boring!!! ;)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1467010801' post='3080332']

[url="http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1052839914810632&id=353393028088661"]http://m.facebook.co...353393028088661[/url]
[/quote]
Agreed, that was a nice touch.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1467010634' post='3080328']
So why did you struggle to watch it? I found it easier to just not watch it as I don't like coldplay!
Having said that, all my friends at glastonbury who also don't like coldplay really enjoyed the show. I think maybe they are one of those groups that you have to be there for.
[/quote]
I like music, which is why I watched it hoping that I would enjoy their performance, but it just didn't happen for me.

I like watching football too, and some teams I don't like, and sometimes you get boring matches, but I don't switch off because you hope it might turn into a good game. :mellow:

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467017967' post='3080395']
Coldplay...music for people who don't like music.

I have no idea what I mean.
[/quote]

:lol:

Perhaps that they're a band for people who put being part of an "event" before the music? They do the crowd-pleasing thing very well. I've not followed their career closely, but I remember that when they started they were talked about in the same bracket as Radiohead!

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467017967' post='3080395']
Coldplay...music for people who don't like music.
[/quote]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1467018798' post='3080405']
Perhaps that they're a band for people who put being part of an "event" before the music? They do the crowd-pleasing thing very well. I've not followed their career closely, but I remember that when they started they were talked about in the same bracket as Radiohead!
[/quote]

These are pretty succinct comments. I've never liked Radiohead either! I just looked up the Wikipedia page for Glastonbury and more specifically the bands on the main stage (or day-headliners). I reckon since 1970 or so, there's probably less than five bands I would have paid good money to see but not for standing in a muddy field to do so. Each to their own, but really not for me.