Why become a member? ×

NBD: Maruszczyk Jake PJ - Old LPB

wateroftyne

Well, that was fun. :)

OK... I ordered this pretty much exactly 10 weeks ago. This is the third bass I've bought from them, and this one was a painless transaction like all the others. I paid via bank transfer using Transferwise - saving a fortune compared to the bank's rates.

I did my usual quota of spec changing after I'd submitted my order, and Adrian was as tolerant and honest as ever.

Colour-wise, I've always liked LPB, specifically the aged, slightly green-ish tint. Adrian's LPB is a bit vivid for my tastes, so I was toying with the idea of another colour when I spotted a video of a Jazzus in a bluey-green that was - IMO - pretty close to old LPB. I thought I'd take a gamble on it, and I reckon it's paid off.

The body is chambered, so it's light (7.3lbs!), and like my other Jake, it balances perfectly, with no neck dive whatsoever. The pickups are the standard Maruszczyk passive P & humbucker. The 'bucker doesn't have the series / parallel pull-pot like my previous white bass, but I'd never use it so it's not something I'll miss.

I asked for a neck with a bit of a flame... they went above and beyond in this one. It's a beautiful chunk of maple. It glows! The rosewood board is dark, like I requested, with white binding. The neck has more of a 60s profile than my 'burst. It feels like a 42mm nut, but it's shallower front-to-back. Still a handful, in a good way.

The tuners are oval USA Hipshot Ultralites , which I didn't know existed until recently. They're 1/2", which I prefer cosmetically to the 3/8" Ultralites on my 'burst. Unusually for a Maruszczyk, the headstock isn't swept back, so it has a string tree. This gives it more of a Fender vibe, which is fine by me.

I specified the Hipshot 'B' bridge like my 'burst - I prefer the look, and it's more suited to palm-muting.

Of course this spec bumped the cost up a bit, but it's still top-end Fender MIM money, and a fraction of what it would cost from the Custom Shop or Lakland USA. And it came with the nice soft case and posh leather strap, neither of which are cheap...

I've just rehearsed with it for a few hours - early days, but beautiful so far. It arrived with typically crazy low action and rounds, but I've raised the saddles and strung it with some GHS Precision Flats, and it feels like an old pair of gloves already. The P pickup sounds like a P (hotter and growlier than the Haussels in my 'Burst) and the neck pickups is an absolute monster. Pokey as hell!

My only doubt at the moment is the pickguard. It's mint at the moment, but I think white might work better against the white binding. We'll see..

That's it for now... it's time to peel the film off the pickguard :P

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1463127435' post='3048766']
Out of interest, did Adrian indicate the reason for the change in headstock?

Si
[/quote]

I was going to ask, but then I realised: it's probably because of the flame. I'm not sure how it would work visually on a swept-back headstock. Almost like being sliced across the pattern, if you know what I mean.

This is lovely. Just lovely.

Fender Japan do a colour called Old Lake Placid Blue, which I would love to get on a bass - it's a bit darker and slightly less of a green tint than yours, but what you have is very close to my ideal bass spec. Good job! :)

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1463139655' post='3048914']
This is lovely. Just lovely.

Fender Japan do a colour called Old Lake Placid Blue, which I would love to get on a bass - it's a bit darker and slightly less of a green tint than yours, but what you have is very close to my ideal bass spec. Good job! :)
[/quote]

Thank you :-)

I should add that the colour isn't officially 'Old LPB' - that's just what I'm calling it. Adrian mentioned he might add it as a standard colour, with a new name...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1463128764' post='3048778']

I was going to ask, but then I realised: it's probably because of the flame. I'm not sure how it would work visually on a swept-back headstock. Almost like being sliced across the pattern, if you know what I mean.
[/quote]

Yeah that makes perfect sense with regards to the cut of the grain.

Si

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463151953' post='3049118']
Very nice. I think Parchment would be a good guard colour. 100% white may be a bit too bright.
[/quote]

Totally on board with this! :)

Si

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1463082546' post='3048493']
That flame maple neck is quite something.!!! :o
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463151953' post='3049118']
Very nice. I think Parchment would be a good guard colour. 100% white may be a bit too bright.
[/quote]

Got to agree...love a bit of flame maple on a neck and I agree with a canvas white - would soften the overall appearance more than a bright white plate.

You must be very pleased - top bass for medium rate Fender money.

First gig with it last night... 'tis fab :-)

It's a bit 'throatier' than my 'burst, and the bridge pup is as burpy as hell. As I usually do, I ran the P solo'd most of the night, saving the bridge 'bucker fun for a couple of '80s tunes.

Here's a little snippet - P solo'd, with flats. A little bit of backline, mixed with a bit of FOH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUH3OplUj6c

Forgot to mention - I asked Adrian for a subtle vintage tint on the neck, and I think it's perfect. Not too overdone.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463159311' post='3049193']
Got to agree...love a bit of flame maple on a neck and I agree with a canvas white - would soften the overall appearance more than a bright white plate.

You must be very pleased - top bass for medium rate Fender money.
[/quote]

I'm getting used to the mint, but I'm still not 100% sold. I might still go for white, 'cos I went for white binding, not cream, and it might be a better match. But maybe I'll just leave it as it is :-)