Why become a member? ×

Trying to look a little more cheerful on stage :-/

Deedee

I used to get told this when I was playing bass in a band. We took our music very seriously, rehearsed a lot, concentrated very intently on stage and never made a mistake. It felt great, but the sheer concentration definitely showed on my face

Now I'm a bit more experienced I realise that no-one will notice little mistakes. I take it a lot less seriously and I enjoy it a lot more. Consequently I smile

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1458640523' post='3009250']
I used to get told this when I was playing bass in a band. We took our music very seriously, rehearsed a lot, concentrated very intently on stage and never made a mistake. It felt great, but the sheer concentration definitely showed on my face

Now I'm a bit more experienced I realise that no-one will notice little mistakes. I take it a lot less seriously and I enjoy it a lot more. Consequently I smile
[/quote]ah, the advantage of playing bass, mistakes are less noticeable, apart from my partner, she attends most gigs and knows exactly when I make one of my frequent a cock ups :(

not read the whole thread but i got pretty much this on saturday.
Now i dont move much as quite often space is at a premium but i still nod my head and move a little with the music but near the end of the gig some said why did i look so miserable. Takes me a fair bit of concentration playing especially as ive just switched to 5 strings. but i'm also not a smiley person so i dont let comments bother me but i'll try and smile a bit more but i tend to look like a nutter

making an effort to dress up a bit helps IMO, nothing worse than seeing a band looking like they've just walked off a building site (and the regulation black T shirt with some bands name on, scruffy ill fitting denim jeans and dirty trainers isn't much better) makes it look like you really can't be bothered

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458640775' post='3009254']
ah, the advantage of playing bass, mistakes are less noticeable, apart from my partner, she attends most gigs and knows exactly when I make one of my frequent a cock ups :(
[/quote]

mistakes are miles more noticeable on drums IMO. I've been gigging lots on drums over the last couple of years and the mistakes really stick out, but I manage to laugh them all off. If I'm on drums and someone comes up to me to say "you look like you really enjoyed yourself up there" it generally means I made quite a few mistakes which kept making me laugh.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458644471' post='3009286']
making an effort to dress up a bit helps IMO, nothing worse than seeing a band looking like they've just walked off a building site (and the regulation black T shirt with some bands name on, scruffy ill fitting denim jeans and dirty trainers isn't much better) makes it look like you really can't be bothered
[/quote]

^ This ^

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1458647409' post='3009337']
If I get a sombrero I might even be able to hide my non-smiling mouth :D
[/quote]

Get one three sizes too big, make a couple of eye holes in it and pull it down over your head.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458482587' post='3007915']
I used to do amateur theatre stuff and remember that I knew when my expressions were right if the felt exaggerated and forced. If you feel as if you are grinning like an idiot on stage, then you have got it about right.
[/quote]

Yep. As Phil Star and Hairy Chris say:

It's a performance. Perform.

I've been doing music for a dance competition at the weekends this month. I must have seen over 1000 dancers. Off stage they're nervous. As soon as they hit the stage they instantly become a different character.

You just have to decide what that character is and play the role.

Edited by TimR

My wife has started taking photographs in between songs as apparently "That's usually the only time when your smiling". Trying to count, stop the drummer running off and work out how many bars the guitarist is [u]actually[/u] going to solo over (as opposed to how it went when we rehearsed) does sometimes make me look like I'm a bit cross. And, of course, sometimes I am. Seriously, though (har de har) although I can be a bit grim faced under pressure, I do make the effort to smile, laugh and banter between songs - it makes a big difference, and people often comment that the band seem to be enjoying themselves and that they like that. If someone cocks up, a laugh and a joke is way better for an audience than fierce looks and a sour attitude.

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1458610255' post='3009138']

So what are you doing now?

Stories like yours make me grateful that I have always put a lot of thought into what bands I would join.

Out of 50 years I can only recall one bad band decision. However, I did learn from the experience and it never happened again.The band leader lived in this huge mansion. That should have been my first clue not to join.

Blue
[/quote]
Say hello to my little friend!

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458482587' post='3007915']
I used to do amateur theatre stuff and remember that I knew when my expressions were right if the felt exaggerated and forced. If you feel as if you are grinning like an idiot on stage, then you have got it about right.
[/quote]

Yeah, me too and that's another reason why I smile so much. As soon as I get in front of an audience, the smile goes on - it's just second nature now.
If I'm not smiling, it's probably because the bass line is really difficult (for me!) or I'm deliberately reining it in.

I'm always happy on stage.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/5454_119420366233_706761233_2464116_2394269_n.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/5454_119420366233_706761233_2464116_2394269_n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1458682628' post='3009885']

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/5454_119420366233_706761233_2464116_2394269_n.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]shades that's the answer[attachment=215303:running horse.jpg]

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1458682628' post='3009885']

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/5454_119420366233_706761233_2464116_2394269_n.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

I would be smiling if I had a Chris :D