Why become a member? ×

Have any reformed bands made a really great album?

darkandrew

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1457895506' post='3002783']
would "brave new world" by iron maiden count?
it wasn't a reformation as such but did mark the return of adrian smith and bruce dickinson and turned out to be a pretty darn good album
[/quote]

I was tempted to say the same with exactly the same proviso ;)

I can't think of any.

Not to high jack the thread, I can only comment on new material from bands that have had their day.

The iconish bands of my generation are no longer making great recordings. Nobody is interested in their new material.

For example,nobody is a bigger Stones fan than me, however I have absolutely no interest in their "new stuff".Keep in mind The Stones are still running at a profit and gaining new fans without New hit records. Exile still sells over a million copies annually and it takes close to million dollars to present 1 Stones performance.

Just a little off topic. My generation was buying those great recordings when we were like 16 and 17 years old. I seriously doubt many 70 plus year old artists can write material that's socially relevant to today's youth. And why would they want to?

Most of these bands (my heroes) have enough material recorded in the 60s & 70s to last me a life time.

I think most artists go through one stage of prolific writing and that's about it.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1457900060' post='3002867']
Wire have released some great albums in their reformed incarnations following their initial dissolution after their classic late 70s trio - Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154.
[/quote]

Good point, well made.

Chapeau, mon amis !

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457913674' post='3003049']
I can't think of any.

Not to high jack the thread, I can only comment on new material from bands that have had their day.

The iconish bands of my generation are no longer making great recordings. Nobody is interested in their new material.

For example,nobody is a bigger Stones fan than me, however I have absolutely no interest in their "new stuff".

Just a little off topic. My generation was buying those great recordings when we were like 16 and 17 years old. I seriously doubt many 70 plus year old artists can write material that's socially relevant to today's youth. And why would they want to?

Most of these bands (my heroes) have enough material recorded in the 60s & 70s to last me a life time.

I think most artists go through one stage of prolific writing and that's about it.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Blue
[/quote]

Nail and head. I find that bands have a few great albums then it's Meh after that. I can't think any that have produced great work in later years, never mind after reforming.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1457895506' post='3002783']
would "brave new world" by iron maiden count?
it wasn't a reformation as such but did mark the return of adrian smith and bruce dickinson and turned out to be a pretty darn good album
[/quote]

I'd agree with this, all of the albums since BD and AS came back into the band have been excellent. Somewhat predictable on times, but always top notch!

Now - if they'd just tour the UK a bit more often...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1457955071' post='3003242']
At which point does it become reformed? There's quite a few who have had significant lineup changes
[/quote]

I took it to mean a band that formerly announces that it's splitting up, members go their separate ways, then gets back together a few years down the line. Maybe for sound artistic reasons, maybe because of the dawning realisation that the endowment isn't going to cover the mortgage ;)

Would The Band Of Gypsies count as a reformed Jimi Hendrix Experience. If yes,they kicked ass.

I attended the historical 1969 New Years Eve show at the Filmore East.

Surreal is the only way to desrcibe being there.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1458002652' post='3003889']
Would The Band Of Gypsies count as a reformed Jimi Hendrix Experience. If yes,they kicked ass.

I attended the historical 1969 New Years Eve show at the Filmore East.

Surreal is the only way to desrcibe being there.

Blue
[/quote]

All I can say is WOW! That's what I call a gig to attend.

I always wish the Jimi had continued with the B.O.G. - I've read so many book on the various reasons why he didn't - always a shame, as both the original album, and the double released a few years back are simply stunning.