Why become a member? ×

Slow numbers in a set list

Nicko

I find it's not so much slow songs that kill the energy, but quiet songs. I'd say one quiet one in the middle is enough, but I'm mainly playing 45 minute sets, if it's a longer set you might spread a few more throughout the set.

On a recent thread it was suggested that 3 up-tempo/dance tracks together is the limit, and that you should have something a bit more chilled after each group of 3 energetic songs.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455639032' post='2980979']

On a recent thread it was suggested that 3 up-tempo/dance tracks together is the limit, and that you should have something a bit more chilled after each group of 3 energetic songs.
[/quote]

Must be for those 'SAGA' gigs..... :o)

Our set is pretty much two and a half hours of uptempo disco.... only real slowy we play is either Let's get it on or Let's stay together, neither of which are particularly slow.....

One slow song I still see a lot of weekend warriors playing is Zombie.....

We tend to start off with a couple of slower/mid tempo tunes to test the water, then move up a gear. I'm no fan of quiet/slow songs as a rule - nothing empties the dance floor quicker in my experience.

Saying that, a well-chosen slowie can really stand out well in an otherwise high-energy set, and make for quite an engaging, intimate moment and a bit of a breather amid all the noise and sweat.

It's just a case of choosing the right song, and choosing the right time to play it.

We tend to stick to the rule that if the audience can't sing to it and/or dance to it then we don't play it. The slower songs can lead to a nice bit of arm waving and a bit of a singalong, so we'd never rule them out, but always put them in when their more likely to sing and dance. i.e. when they're drunk.

We tend to end on a slow one or two, typically Under The Bridge and/or Thinking Out Loud, iy normally ends the set well as all the couples come up for a slow dance and the change of feel does seem to stop the demands for more songs afterwards.

You need to have some "bar fodder" in the set, irrespective of how good your set list is people will need to, get their breath, go to the bar, traipse outside for a smoke, go to the loo...fight each other etc at some point, give um a couple of slow numbers along the way and build up to a killer finish