Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455552220' post='2980122']
I used to drive down Abbey Road fairly regularly, there were always tourists hanging around by the crossing trying to recreate the famous album cover. Cars slow down or stop to let people cross but 99% of them have no intention of crossing so wave the drivers on to pass through. Other cars that are used to it don't even bother to slow down and just assume nobody wants to cross - an accident waiting to happen!
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248743-the-christmas-alternative-rock-factfilethe-arf-christmas-bassist-quiz-answers-posted/page__view__findpost__p__2709144"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2709144[/url]

Mike Barrat (Shakin' Stevens) used to gig at mine in North London for forty-five quid (that was the whole band, driving down from Wales)
Good show, not a big pull back in the day....how times change.........

:)

vvvvv sorry, should've made that clear - the band was The Sunsets.

Edited by taunton-hobbit

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1455556182' post='2980182']
Mike Barrat (Shakin' Stevens) used to gig at mine in North London for forty-five quid (that was the whole band, driving down from Wales)
Good show, not a big pull back in the day....how times change.........

:)
[/quote]

And were the band called the Sunsets?

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455526473' post='2979733']

As I said, I count myself as a Beatles fan and certainly accept they were, and are, hugely influential. But Dad's post is an excellent reminder that the arts are gloriously wide and diverse and, for my money, anyone who latches onto one artist or band as 'a way of life' is seriously depriving themselves with such a narrow outlook. It's also a recipe for artistic stagnation.
[/quote]

4 string, it's not narrow, it's huge and diverse.

My Beatles ideology is a recipe for pushing the envelop and unlimited expansion not stagnation.

Blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1455558777' post='2980221']
I think it is a lot bigger for american and japanese tourism, and I think it will stay that way.

I went to liverpool once. Got a tattoo, had a tea. Think that was it. My wife went to the international slavery museum, which was apparently good.
[/quote]

I went to Liverpool once, to see a friends band. Fell asleep watching NCIS reruns in my hotel room & missed the gig.

It's official;

BC is really convincing me the whole Beatle thing has always been bigger and more important to us baby boomer yanks than the English.

With all the negativity I can't help but wonder if The Beatles did something to the English I don't know about?

Blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1455559926' post='2980237']
my favourite bit of my Liverpool trip was having a pint in the Grapes at the same table as the Beatles had
[/quote]
That's what tell the tourists...the Beatles probably had a pint most of the old pubs at some point. Next time try Ye Crack In The Wall where Lennon used to drink... says my mum. Or try the Philharmonic pub... according to local legend Hitler used to drink there.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455563916' post='2980279']
It's official;

BC is really convincing me the whole Beatle thing has always been bigger and more important to us baby boomer yanks than the English.

With all the negativity I can't help but wonder if The Beatles did something to the English I don't know about?

Blue
[/quote]
Yes

They stood on a stage and sang, then they sat in a studio and sang.

They didn't invent a cure for cancer or instigate world peace.

They were just a band. Even John Lennon himself said so.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1455555626' post='2980173']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248743-the-christmas-alternative-rock-factfilethe-arf-christmas-bassist-quiz-answers-posted/page__view__findpost__p__2709144"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2709144[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1425631146' post='2709144']
Road accident statistics: Between 2000 and 2014, one in four of the pedestrians knocked down on the Abbey Road zebra crossing were not wearing shoes.
[/quote]

I could even believe that! :D

It's official;

Blue
[/quote]

Lighten up man, a bit of light hearted banter is all that's going on. Noone took a crap in one of the Queen's hats :lol:

Blue (and any other concerned parties) can rest safely in their beds, knowing that The Young People still like the Fabs. I've been in Music and Media education for 17 years and of all the kids I've taught, by far the most popular band was The Beatles. Of course, they still enjoy contemporary music, but Beatles music and legacy has a really appealing and enduring quality. I am incredibly biased as I am a massive Beatles fan - I've always tried not to brainwash my pupils, but sooner or later, those students with even just a passing interest in the contextual history of Popular music will find themselves drawn to those lovable moptops.

In the early-mid seventies, during the "Beatles Hangover", most of the world was over the Beatles - after seven pretty intense years everyone needed a break. It took Lennon's murder to jolt them back into the public eye and when the "Anthology" series came out in the 90's the Beatlemania industry was fully established. Liverpool should be proud of The Beatles - they changed Pop Culture forever. You may feel it's overkill or exploitation, but almost every town, city or country has it's own tourist industry and the "official" Beatles stuff - The museum, the "Magical Mystery Tour", the National Trust houses, the Beatles convention are done superbly well.

It's there if you want it. It's not compulsory.

I'm struggling to think of many of the kids of friends (mine isn't old enough) or co-workers under 30 who regard the Beatles as anything more than a band with some cool songs... In musical circles they're still well regarded, but infuences fade and are watered down as the generations pass by. Which is as it should be. BC is somewhere that both the age demographic and musical interest mean that they will be well thought of, but I'm seeing less and less as time goes by elsewhere. Again, all pretty normal.

It's official;

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah - but you gave us Stax and Motown - your job is done!