Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455654649' post='2981256']
[url="https://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/"]https://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/[/url]

For anyone who'd prefer a visit to Birmingham.
[/quote]The chocolate is expensive there. The wife somehow lost her sandals there as well, so if anyone finds them, you know who to contact

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455641436' post='2981018']

Hopefully - when I did this painting I used gen-yoo-ine River Mersey water. A friend of mine in NYC said it was a genius idea and to quote him "those crazy yanks will love it". Now I'm still working out how best to flog it.

[/quote]

I love your painting.

Blue

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1455655497' post='2981273']
The chocolate is expensive there. The wife somehow lost her sandals there as well, so if anyone finds them, you know who to contact
[/quote]

My mother used to work there ... not Cadbury World, but Cadbury's .. very cheap or even free chocolate.

My son lost a sandal far underground in a cave with neolithic paintings in France. They had to get a ladder to retrieve the sandal.

It's a small world.

To be fair, the only things in Plymouth that aren't called 'The Drake [something]' are called 'The armada [something]'. Except for the things that are called 'The mayflower [something]'. And i come from Thetford in norfolk originally, where everything is called 'The Thomas Payne [something]'... And only people from thetford, or the USA, remember who he was... :D

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1455657290' post='2981291']
To be fair, the only things in Plymouth that aren't called 'The Drake [something]' are called 'The armada [something]'. Except for the things that are called 'The mayflower [something]'. And i come from Thetford in norfolk originally, where everything is called 'The Thomas Payne [something]'... And only people from thetford, or the USA, remember who he was... :D
[/quote]

And the people of Lewes in East Sussex, and me, and wasn't Paine's father a manufacturer of women's underwear?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455641436' post='2981018']
Hopefully - when I did this painting I used gen-yoo-ine River Mersey water. A friend of mine in NYC said it was a genius idea and to quote him "those crazy yanks will love it". Now I'm still working out how best to flog it.

[/quote]

Superb! but tell me, will it give you leptospirosis if you lick it?

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1455657290' post='2981291']
[/quote]
Likewise, Bristol is crammed full of Brunel this and Cabot that. I suppose it's natural to want to celebrate a local hero if there is one. Or four.

The Beatles were a very popular group.
Lots and lots of people still like them.
There is a place that those people can go where there is lots of stuff about that group that they can see.
That's a good thing.
Those places employ quite a lot of people.
That's also a good thing.
Just because they go and see the place dedicated to the old band doesn't mean that they only listen to old music.
(I like the old band and I still like new music)
The Beatles were an important band who changed the Art form that we are all a part of.
Liverpool should be proud of that.
Musicians from Liverpool have moved on, but the Beatles are still an influence and will always be important.
(If you like Shakespeare, you go to Stratford-Upon-Avon.
No one complains that Stratford-Upon-Avon should "get over" Shakespeare, because he is important).
You don't have to like The Beatles, but they were important.
And lots of people still like them.
I like them.
That's why some people go to Liverpool.
You don't have to go, if you don't want to.
And I think that's OK.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1455657873' post='2981308']
Superb! but tell me, will it give you leptospirosis if you lick it?[/quote]

In trying to offset it's biohazard carbon footprint I glazed it with a milk based fixative that the ancient Egyptians used. So it's actually healthy for you to lick it :ph34r:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455659452' post='2981340']I like that.[/quote]
Cool, thanks!

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1455660342' post='2981349']
The Beatles were a very popular group.
Lots and lots of people still like them.
There is a place that those people can go where there is lots of stuff about that group that they can see.
That's a good thing.
Those places employ quite a lot of people.
That's also a good thing.
Just because they go and see the place dedicated to the old band doesn't mean that they only listen to old music.
(I like the old band and I still like new music)
The Beatles were an important band who changed the Art form that we are all a part of.
Liverpool should be proud of that.
Musicians from Liverpool have moved on, but the Beatles are still an influence and will always be important.
(If you like Shakespeare, you go to Stratford-Upon-Avon.
No one complains that Stratford-Upon-Avon should "get over" Shakespeare, because he is important).
You don't have to like The Beatles, but they were important.
And lots of people still like them.
I like them.
That's why some people go to Liverpool.
You don't have to go, if you don't want to.
And I think that's OK.
[/quote]I think that would be a great end of this thread, hopefully.
Mods, get the lock in, quick

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1455639960' post='2980992']
I haven't spent much time in Liverpool, but it must be very sad to live in a place that is so caught up in its past, or more accurately one aspect of its past.
[/quote]

Im from liverpool, born and bred.... I dont know anyone who is caught up in its past or more accuratley the beatles ???
I think this is the stereo typical perception that most people outside the area have... Add to that we're all theives with curly hair and tashes...
Take a single element of historical notoriety, use that as your assciated (limited) knowledge of a place and conclude the locals obsess over one thing , simply because thats the expanse of your own knowledge ?
Liverpool, capital of culture, filled with diversity, filled with history, the international hub and supply chain which indistrilised Britain.

Yes, There is a commercial element to the beatles continuing popularity in liverpool, but you will find that supply is only ever met by demand.

Its not too different from most other cities on the whole, each of which will likley have their own commercial market.

Ask any kid round our way the best thing to come out of liverpool and they'll say steven Gerrard. Chances are theyve never heard the beatles.....

Not looking for a response or trying to provoke anyone, just a veiw from the inside looking out.

For the record, most of my fave beatles tracks if i played them to most scousers they would even know it was the beatles.

Ja garu deva om, nothings gonna change my world.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455657297' post='2981292']

Thanks! I was going to try selling it at last years Beatles Int Festival in Liverpool but got the runaround off the city council.
[/quote]

A lot if people like me, Yankee baby boomers would love it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1455612564' post='2980589']

Intentionally or otherwise, your opinions are often couched in absolutist terms with a hint of circular reasoning which conveys the impression that those who disagree with you are somehow inferior. Saying you feel sorry for those who don't share your opinion is quite startlingly offensive.
[/quote]

If someone makes a negative comment about The Beatles,I do wish they could have been there and had something to base a negative comment on.

I think you might have misunderstood one of my Beatle comments. I don't expect anyone to share my opinion and certainly don't feel sorry for anyone that doesn't.

Blue