Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1455567652' post='2980341']In the early-mid seventies, during the "Beatles Hangover", most of the world was over the Beatles - after seven pretty intense years everyone needed a break. It took Lennon's murder to jolt them back into the public eye and when the "Anthology" series came out in the 90's the Beatlemania industry was fully established.[/quote]

Can't remember the exact year but I think it was possibly on the back of Wings' success around 1977/78(??) that the entire Beatles 7" catalogue was re-released in batches, in pseudo reproduction pic covers. Many of them hit high in the charts, I remember buying "Get Back" and one other, I forget which. They did little for me but my brother was hooked (too young to remember any of it 1st time around) and went on to become a Beatles expert, with links to some of the members.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1455564158' post='2980284']
That's what tell the tourists...the Beatles probably had a pint most of the old pubs at some point. Next time try Ye Crack In The Wall where Lennon used to drink... says my mum. Or try the Philharmonic pub... according to local legend Hitler used to drink there.
[/quote] the picture on the wall of the Beatles drinking there has wallpaper in the background, when they were doing a refit of the pub they found the same wallpaper under some cladding, which is now behind perpex just above where I'm sitting, I'm sure they did drink in other pubs but how many pictures are there of them doing it? well I was convinced

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455558621' post='2980219']
4 string, it's not narrow, it's huge and diverse.
[/quote]

Blue, if it's so huge and diverse why do you keep accusing people of not getting it and at the same time claim that only certain people who were there can get it? It makes no sense.

My Beatles ideology is a recipe for pushing the envelop and unlimited expansion not stagnation.
[/quote]

The Beatles did push the envelope and, although not unlimited, did expand popular music but doing that today would require avoiding the stagnation of pushing 'rock and roll' for fifty plus years.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455563916' post='2980279']
It's official;

BC is really convincing me the whole Beatle thing has always been bigger and more important to us baby boomer yanks than the English.

With all the negativity I can't help but wonder if The Beatles did something to the English I don't know about?

Blue
[/quote]

I think maybe you don't understand the English ... which means you don't understand The Beatles.

Listen to Lennon:

God is a Concept by which we measure our pain
I'll say it again

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
[b]I don't believe in Beatles[/b]

I just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
The dream is over
Yesterday
I was the dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the walrus
But now I'm John
And so, dear friends,
You'll just have to carry on
The dream is over

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455570489' post='2980389']
Can't remember the exact year but I think it was possibly on the back of Wings' success around 1977/78(??) that the entire Beatles 7" catalogue was re-released in batches, in pseudo reproduction pic covers. Many of them hit high in the charts, I remember buying "Get Back" and one other, I forget which. They did little for me but my brother was hooked (too young to remember any of it 1st time around) and went on to become a Beatles expert, with links to some of the members.
[/quote]
1978/79 I believe, but your point is correct. It was before Lennon's death.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455574643' post='2980449']
1978/79 I believe, but your point is correct. It was before Lennon's death.
[/quote]
[/quote]

1976 and 1978..."Yesterday" got to #8 in '76 mainly because it was never a UK single in the 60's. Ditto "Back in the USSR" (#19 in '78). Compilations did better as you'd expect and the live "Hollywood Bowl" album was #1. But there wasn't the Beatles tourist industry that there is now. The Liverpool conventions started in '77 - the first being poorly organised and attended. By the end of the 70's it was the new Liverpool bands - Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunnymen etc that were making waves - all keen to play down the "in the shadow of The Beatles" tag.

Edited by rushbo

4 string, it's not narrow, it's huge and diverse.

[/quote]

Come on! Now you're being plain daft - rock and roll, even with the Beatles' undoubted contribution, is just one narrow aspect of the wide range of artistic endeavours.

Look, I get The Beatles. I've got all their albums. I listen to them regularly. I agree they had a massive impact on rock & roll and have been hugely influential. But they are most certainly not the be all and end all of musical innovation, never mind wider artistic innovation. All I'm saying is try to keep things in perspective.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing ;)

Their diversity and continual evolution is what kept them contempory.
They started as a rock n roll covers band and quickly progressed ,marketed as a boy band playing pop music, progressing on to the likes of peper, revolver, abbey road, tracks like helter skelter, i want you shes so heavy, blue jay way , mother natures son...all a millionmiles apart, all crafted works....

I suppose its important to look at what else was going on musically at the time as there was alot of equally great music, but not so many with such consitancy in quality and most influenced by the ground the beatles had laid down before them....

Not the be all and end all, not compulsory, but undeniably good...

Rock n roll..... To start with, but so much more before the end.....

Maybe im biased, my mum knew mcartney well growing up in the next street to him..... But ask her, she preferred the stones ;)

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1455564297' post='2980287']

Yes

They stood on a stage and sang, then they sat in a studio and sang.

They didn't invent a cure for cancer or instigate world peace.

They were just a band. Even John Lennon himself said so.
[/quote]

Well they were a lot more than a band to me.

I still don't get the negativity and the dumbing down of their place in history on bass chat.

Sad as far as I'm concerned.

Blue

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455564097' post='2980283']
It's called "the grass is greener on the other side" Blue, I'm sure the americans laugh at us limeys lapping up cowboy and indian novelties made in Thailand just the same?
[/quote]

Am I missing something or are you really saying The Beatles legacy is the same as novelties made in Thailand?

Blue

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1455567652' post='2980341']
Blue (and any other concerned parties) can rest safely in their beds, knowing that The Young People still like the Fabs. I've been in Music and Media education for 17 years and of all the kids I've taught, by far the most popular band was The Beatles. Of course, they still enjoy contemporary music, but Beatles music and legacy has a really appealing and enduring quality. I am incredibly biased as I am a massive Beatles fan - I've always tried not to brainwash my pupils, but sooner or later, those students with even just a passing interest in the contextual history of Popular music will find themselves drawn to those lovable moptops.

In the early-mid seventies, during the "Beatles Hangover", most of the world was over the Beatles - after seven pretty intense years everyone needed a break. It took Lennon's murder to jolt them back into the public eye and when the "Anthology" series came out in the 90's the Beatlemania industry was fully established. Liverpool should be proud of The Beatles - they changed Pop Culture forever. You may feel it's overkill or exploitation, but almost every town, city or country has it's own tourist industry and the "official" Beatles stuff - The museum, the "Magical Mystery Tour", the National Trust houses, the Beatles convention are done superbly well.

It's there if you want it. It's not compulsory.
[/quote]

I'm going to make it to Liverpool someday one way or the other. And when I get there I'm going to kiss the ground.

Blue

Yes

They didn't invent a cure for cancer or instigate world peace.

They were just a band. Even John Lennon himself said so.
[/quote]

That was just John being humble and polite.

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455574430' post='2980447']

I think maybe you don't understand the English ... which means you don't understand The Beatles.

Listen to Lennon:

I'll say it again

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
[b]I don't believe in Beatles[/b]

I just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
The dream is over
Yesterday
I was the dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the walrus
But now I'm John
And so, dear friends,
You'll just have to carry on
The dream is over
[/quote]

Rubbish

Blue

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1455583109' post='2980509']
Their diversity and continual evolution is what kept them contempory.
They started as a rock n roll covers band and quickly progressed ,marketed as a boy band playing pop music, progressing on to the likes of peper, revolver, abbey road, tracks like helter skelter, i want you shes so heavy, blue jay way , mother natures son...all a millionmiles apart, all crafted works....

I suppose its important to look at what else was going on musically at the time as there was alot of equally great music, but not so many with such consitancy in quality and most influenced by the ground the beatles had laid down before them....

Not the be all and end all, not compulsory, but undeniably good...

Rock n roll..... To start with, but so much more before the end.....

Maybe im biased, my mum knew mcartney well growing up in the next street to him..... But ask her, she preferred the stones ;)
[/quote]

I like this post, it just makes sense.

Blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455579021' post='2980488']

Come on! Now you're being plain daft - rock and roll, even with the Beatles' undoubted contribution, is just one narrow aspect of the wide range of artistic endeavours.

Look, I get The Beatles. I've got all their albums. I listen to them regularly. I agree they had a massive impact on rock & roll and have been hugely influential. But they are most certainly not the be all and end all of musical innovation, never mind wider artistic innovation. All I'm saying is try to keep things in perspective.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing ;)
[/quote]

I never said they were the be all and end all of music innovation.

But now that you mention it, they we're and are certainly high standing members of that club.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

Cool story.😊

Blue

Yes

[/quote]

My ears heard more than just singing.

My eyes saw a lot more than a band

Very few can't stand in their shoes.

Good luck Freddy

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455574146' post='2980444']

Blue, if it's so huge and diverse why do you keep accusing people of not getting it and at the same time claim that only certain people who were there can get it? It makes no sense.[/quote]

I have never been accusatory. I have merely given my opinions.

But good point none the less.

At this point in time I guess I don't care who gets it or doesn't get it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455593065' post='2980530']
I have never been accusatory. I have merely given my opinions.

But good point none the less.

Blue
[/quote]

Intentionally or otherwise, your opinions are often couched in absolutist terms with a hint of circular reasoning which conveys the impression that those who disagree with you are somehow inferior. Saying you feel sorry for those who don't share your opinion is quite startlingly offensive.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455593065' post='2980530']
[/quote]
11 back-to-back comments in the space of 45 minutes and calling another member's post "rubbish" would tend to suggest otherwise.
This subject, or specifically this particular argument has been done to death and I'm sure I speak for others when I say that I'm sick of the sight of it. The topic is "how the Beatles grip Liverpool" and this particular argument is waaaay OT. Back on track please, or I will lock the thread.

Never argue with a fan(atic) ;D

I dunno, maybe Murica could cope with white boys doing Chuck Berry impersonations whereas britain had already listened to Chuck Berry so it wasn't such a revolution?

Its all down to what you like innit? Personally, Motown, Stax, P-funk and 'proper' blues of the 'Disability-Fruit-Surname' variety has had more of an influence on [i]me specifically [/i]than the beatles, but other peoples' mileage varies. And that's all good...

I sort of feel sorry for liverpool actually - its a microcosm of the general british 'hey, remember in the past when we did something good?' er, no, i wasn't born and neither were you..?

Do a new thing, liverpool!

I assume that many people have listened to Sgt Peppers as that was one of their best albums. I really can see why people would hate them after listening to that. Awful album. I can see why they are held in such high regard, and I assume that it was good back in the day, but I don`t get it. They were just at the right place at the right time, and get the fact that they were influential to a lot of bands i listen to today. I guess Blue is right that you had to be there. I was too young for The Small Faces , Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd, but I enjoy listening to them even though I wasn`t there.So in conclusion, the Beatles were of their time, as you had to be there, but you can enjoy Pink floyd regardless of whether you were there or not.