Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455870498' post='2983050']
Given that the majority of Beatles songs were Lennon/McCartney collaborations (even in their later period there was still an element of collaboration) I think it fair to say that, broadly, they were better together than apart.
[/quote]

I kinda agree, although 'Wings' were a pretty big selling successful band.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney_and_Wings

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1455882793' post='2983233']

[url="https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney_and_Wings"]https://en.m.wikiped...rtney_and_Wings[/url]
[/quote]oh yeah, Mull of Kintyre, even Pauly thought it was bland, that's why it was the B side originally, sales don't always mean quality, mind you I almost always preferred Lennon's songs, generally found Macca's song a bit twee, But what the f*** that's got to do with Liverpool I really don't know

I remember when doing Boolean Algebra at college and we all had to produce a hypothesis and proof for a seminar, a cleverclogs chap in my class produce a very funny hypothesis that read something like:

lennon AND McCartney > lennon NAND McCartney

BECAUSE lennon AND McCartney = penny lane BUT lennon NAND McCartney = happy Christmas war is over + wonderful Christmastime.

There was much more to it than this and the algebra was expressed correctly, unlike my version here.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1455882793' post='2983233']

[/quote]

No disputing that Wings were commercially the most successful of the solo Fab's work, just that I personally preferred Harrison's solo work. Which is slightly odd since I saw Wings live but never did get to see Harrison :( The 'Concert for George' DVD remains one of my all time favourites.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455888223' post='2983319']
No disputing that Wings were commercially the most successful of the solo Fab's work, just that I personally preferred Harrison's solo work. Which is slightly odd since I saw Wings live but never did get to see Harrison :( The 'Concert for George' DVD remains one of my all time favourites.
[/quote]

We should never confuse commercial success with musical talent or influence on subsequent artists. Celine Dion would be way above Bob Dylan on commercial sales.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1455885769' post='2983285']
I remember when doing Boolean Algebra at college and we all had to produce a hypothesis and proof for a seminar, a cleverclogs chap in my class produce a very funny hypothesis that read something like:

lennon AND McCartney > lennon NAND McCartney

BECAUSE lennon AND McCartney = penny lane BUT lennon NAND McCartney = happy Christmas war is over + wonderful Christmastime.

There was much more to it than this and the algebra was expressed correctly, unlike my version here.
[/quote]

XOR rather than NAND, surely? lennon.!mccartney + !lennon.mccartney

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1455843719' post='2982985']

Blue, you are doing it again.
You are, of course, entitled to disagree with me and I respect your right to do so. However, please stop making absolutist statements rubbishing my opinion. I am not the only person who thinks that the Beatles have been surpassed and you know it. To suggest that I am in the manner in which you did is clearly designed to belittle me in a manner which is both childish and offensive. I am entitled to be treated with the same respect with which I treat you.
[/quote]

Ok, only surpassed by in your opinion and a few others. Personally I don't know any of my baby boomers that share that opinion.

I opinion that to this day no band has surpassed them in what they did or how they did it. I don't even think there is an apples to apples scenario.

And really we're talking about opinions. Nobody is trying to belittle or rubbish your opinion .

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455834546' post='2982920']

Yes, but as was already pointed out, the Beatles first singles were also 2 minute boy meets girl songs.[/quote]

Yes,agreed, and what made it such a magical time? I'll tell you.

What stage in life were many of us in that were at the tail end of the baby boomer generation? Yes, we were in the first boy meets girl stage of our lives.

Many of the first things I learned about women were from Beatle lyrics.Many of us learned how to dress cool from The Beatles.

I don't know how any guy could experience that sort of magic if you first heard the Beatles 30 years after they broke up.

I keep saying, "guys it wasn't just about music and their songs." It was a coming of age lifestyle thing.Does this make sense to at least one if you?

This is why there is so much generational disconnect.

So guys can't you see the merits and why the "you had to be there" claim has some legitimacy.

Maybe my perspective is just dated and pointless.Maybe I live in the past like my kids tell me. " Dad,it's not 1965 "

And I like you guys and I hate being a dick bag. Humor an old guy, maybe that's the answer.

I mean your talking to a guy that has an expensive pair of Spanish Beatle boots in a never been opened box in the bedroom closet.

Cheers

Blue

Edited by blue

That all seems to be an argument against The Beatles being the greatest band ever and suggests they simply touched your raw nerves at a vulnerable time because you happened to be there at the time. That's fine and understandable but on that basis you should understand that, presumably, other bands/film stars/celebs did, and still do, the same thing for every other generation of kids trying to find themselves during their own 'coming of age' thing.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455940631' post='2983842']

Maybe my perspective is just dated and pointless.Maybe I live in the past like my kids tell me. " Dad,it's not 1965 "

And I like you guys and I hate being a dick bag. Humor an old guy, maybe that's the answer.

Blue
[/quote]

Dude let it go , you tell us you are not old , but age is not in the body , its in the attitude.

A guy once told me, that if someone tells you that they know best about something because they have been experienced in it for 50 years, the chances are that it was one years experience that is 50 years old.

Grow young again and let other stuff have a chance to influence you the same as that experience did.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1455954111' post='2983858']

Dude let it go , you tell us you are not old , but age is not in the body , its in the attitude.

A guy once told me, that if someone tells you that they know best about something because they have been experienced in it for 50 years, the chances are that it was one years experience that is 50 years old.

Grow young again and let other stuff have a chance to influence you the same as that experience did.
[/quote]

I have no idea what your talking about or what it has to do with my post.

Blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455944793' post='2983845']
That all seems to be an argument against The Beatles being the greatest band ever and suggests they simply touched your raw nerves at a vulnerable time because you happened to be there at the time. That's fine and understandable but on that basis you should understand that, presumably, other bands/film stars/celebs did, and still do, the same thing for every other generation of kids trying to find themselves during their own 'coming of age' thing.
[/quote]

Agreed, but I don't challenge or put down the artists the younger generations came of age to.

You never hear me say things about their bands like," They're just a band" or "I don't get what the big deal is about them"

I prefer not to comment on bands or genres I know nothing about.

When this touchy subject of The Beatles comes up and your 25 years old, what's wrong with saying;

"Sorry, but they're way before my time"

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455944793' post='2983845']
[/quote]

Amen to that.

I first heard "A Night at the Opera" by Queen in 1976 and it blew me away. Since then, my musical tastes have drifted from Pop, to Rock, to Jazz, back to Rock, to pretty Avant Garde stuff, to Indie and back to Rock again. But the one constant has been that album. That first profound musical experience stays with you forever and can shape your tastes (or at least, your interest) in music for a lifetime. For a lot of people in the US, that first profound musical experience was The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show in Feb '64. Some students I have taught have said their lives were changed by seeing Nirvana perform "...Teen Spirit" on The Word or hearing their older brother playing the first Clash album. One guy (now a diehard Bring Me The Horizon/My Chemical Romance fan) had his wheels blown off by the first Spice Girls album. The bands, music and context may change, but that experience is universal.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455940631' post='2983842']
Yes,agreed, and what made it such a magical time? I'll tell you.

What stage in life were many of us in that were at the tail end of the baby boomer generation? Yes, we were in the first boy meets girl stage of our lives.

Many of the first things I learned about women were from Beatle lyrics.[/quote]

Oh stop it! You're embarrassing yourself now! Not withstanding that you took my quote totally out of context to the polar opposite of it's meaning.

You've already told us you were twelve!! - 12 ffs! when you had the revelation of seeing them on Ed Sullivan!! You weren't "there"! What were their lyrics going to tell you about "women" when you were twelve?? How to "always be true" - how to "hold their hand"??

Yeah - we get it, you're a terminally manic Beatles obsessive, but even the people who genuinely actually were "there", and I know many who were, (including some who had/have an inside perspective on it) and even they don't obsess to the point you do. Get a grip, have a word with yourself.

Seriously - consider changing your colour from "blue" to rose-tinted.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455976771' post='2984155']
Oh stop it! You're embarrassing yourself now! Not withstanding that you took my quote totally out of context to the polar opposite of it's meaning.

You've already told us you were twelve!! - 12 ffs! when you had the revelation of seeing them on Ed Sullivan!! You weren't "there"! What were their lyrics going to tell you about "women" when you were twelve?? How to "always be true" - how to "hold their hand"??

Yeah - we get it, you're a terminally manic Beatles obsessive, but even the people who genuinely actually were "there", and I know many who were, (including some who had/have an inside perspective on it) and even they don't obsess to the point you do. Get a grip, have a word with yourself.

Seriously - consider changing your colour from "blue" to rose-tinted.
[/quote]

Calm Down!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1455978849' post='2984196']......t every day there is an effin' Beatles related thread within the first few topics of GD!
Just the same as that K**** W*** thread won't f*** off and die![/quote]

Oh yes, I respect and admire West's ability to speak his words quickly in a regular staccato manner; I've been known to do the same myself on many an occasion. But if he was to say "I'm better than McCartney" or "I write better "songs" than Lennon", I should say,
"OI!! West!! NOOOOOOO!!!!
You're entitled to talk crap in the land of the free,
But it'll upset up Blue,
And put Hiram off his tea
It's been done before
By that MC Hammer,
So get off my lawn and stay outta my manor!