Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455695149' post='2981451']
Paul McCartney was turned away from a party last night as the door man didn't know who he was and the kids that bought the Kanye,McCartney, Rihanna record think kanye discovered him!

[/quote]
The 10 year olds will discover the truth eventually

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455674996' post='2981424']
A lot if people like me, Yankee baby boomers would love it.

Blue
[/quote]

Hopefully! But that raised one question. What price do you ask for a piece by an unknown artist while still recognising the unique aspect of the actual water used from the source, ie. River Mersey in this case as well as the artistic content.
It's why I wanted to take it to the Liverpool/Beatles Festival to see what offers it got - if any. I wouldn't want to risk Ebay from all the horror stories I've heard.

You'd find Blue that the pic I put up wouldn't print out very well - too low resolution. But I did have some promotional picture postcards printed of it, so if you want to PM me your address I'll mail one out to you?
You don't get the Mersey water with it :happy: - but it's a very sharp picture about 7"x4".

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455591057' post='2980521']
I'm going to make it to Liverpool someday one way or the other. And when I get there I'm going to kiss the ground.

Blue
[/quote]

Only been once in recent years, stayed at Stu Sutcliffe's place [url="http://www.seftonparkhotel.co.uk/"]LINK[/url]
Reasonable rates, friendly owner, big photo of Stu in the breakfast room, if you don't mind bass players on the wall.
Kissing the ground was optional.
Hope you make it to Liverpool one day.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1455705933' post='2981583']

Only been once in recent years, stayed at Stu Sutcliffe's place [url="http://www.seftonparkhotel.co.uk/"]LINK[/url]
Reasonable rates, friendly owner, big photo of Stu in the breakfast room, if you don't mind bass players on the wall.
Kissing the ground was optional.
Hope you make it to Liverpool one day.
[/quote]

I've been there too...lovely.

I wouldn't have gone to Liverpool if it wasn't for all the Be@tl*s stuff, but I was really surprised by how cool the place was. The Tate is well worth a visit as is the Maritime Museum. Lots of decent pubs with live music too. I go once a year...sometimes for the Beatles convention and sometimes for the International Pop Overthrow Festival and I've always had a great time.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1455641436' post='2981018']
Hopefully - when I did this painting I used gen-yoo-ine River Mersey water. A friend of mine in NYC said it was a genius idea and to quote him "those crazy yanks will love it". Now I'm still working out how best to flog it.

[/quote]I didn`t realise you actually painted it. For some reason I thought you were joking, because I thought it was a photo. The detail on it is outstanding. Really impressed

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1455707533' post='2981606']
I didn`t realise you actually painted it. For some reason I thought you were joking, because I thought it was a photo. The detail on it is outstanding. Really impressed.[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.
I didn't count the hours I put into it, so whatever I end up getting for it - if at all - I don't think would be great as an "hourly rate" - though art isn't supposed to be like that. It's the first painting I've done in many years, I usually do pencil stuff.

Taking the water from the Mersey......the water I have left over is still in the same bottle with a layer of green slime in the bottom :lol:

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455527205' post='2979751']

Two top football grounds

[/quote]

Goodison Park and....can't think....um....oh yeah, Prenton Park. You're right!

I went to Liverpool fresh off the boat from NZ in 1987 and did the Beatles tourist thing. It was cheap and cheerful, cheesy, and we loved it. Liverpool was a bit of a dump back then, but there's been so much investment in the city centre over the years, its actually a decent city now, well worth a visit.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455695149' post='2981451']
Paul McCartney was turned away from a party last night as the door man didn't know who he was and the kids that bought the Kanye,McCartney, Rihanna record think kanye discovered him!
[/quote]

I saw that,Paul was great he had a great time with it. To me It was like turning away royalty.

He's such a high road guy,and Paul could buy everyone in that room.

Blue

The Beatles were game changing in many ways but that doesn't mean they should be on a pedestal, immune from criticism. They churned out some utter drivel in places---Maxwell's Silver Hammer, anyone?---and got up to some right pretentious nonsense from time to time.

I "wasn't there" but I get their importance. I also wasn't there when Bach was doing his thing but I get that too. Doesn't mean I listen to either particularly often. Other things are more exciting to me.