Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

I know some of you don't like the Beatles but regarding this article whether you like them or not is irrelevant ... still ... feel free if you must.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35541130"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35541130[/url]

I'll be popping up to the 'pool myself on Wednesday but I won't be doing anything Beatles related.

I count myself as a Beatles fan, though Liverpool is one of the few cities in the UK I've never visited. I stayed in the Amsterdam Hilton once and noticed that the next door room had a brass plaque on the door stating that it was the room in which John & Yoko staged their 'bed in' for world peace (or something similar). I'm a bit too young to have seen the Fabs in concert but from the films I've seen they weren't great musical experiences so I don't feel I missed much.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455493524' post='2979650']
I count myself as a Beatles fan, though Liverpool is one of the few cities in the UK I've never visited. I stayed in the Amsterdam Hilton once and noticed that the next door room had a brass plaque on the door stating that it was the room in which John & Yoko staged their 'bed in' for world peace (or something similar). I'm a bit too young to have seen the Fabs in concert but from the films I've seen they weren't great musical experiences so I don't feel I missed much.
[/quote]

You missed the biggest part of rock & roll
history there is. And the band that laid the foundation for all subsequent bands.

You have to understand The Beatles were a way of life. I feel so sorry for folks that are too young to understand The Beatles and that time period.

Blue

Edited by blue

In his day, Paganini revolutionised the solo violin. Although his international career was short (a mere 6 years...), in that time he alone set the benchmark which is still in place today. It's difficult for youngsters to fully appreciate the true impact of his ground-breaking work and immense popularity; I suppose one had to be there to 'get it'.
There are many scholars, musicians and historians that would maintain that the greatest of them all, in so many respects, was J. S. Bach. It's difficult to fathom from this far off in time the depth of his influence and creativity, bringing, to cite just a few examples, the solo instrument to the fore as it had never been hitherto envisaged, in composing multi-part harmony of such beauty, depth and intelligence that they are studied still, and have yet to reveal all of their subtleties. We owe him counterpoint (yes, it was unthought of before his extensive use of this art...); even such apparently evident techniques such as changing keys was new and bold. Truly, on the shoulders of giants are the humble songsters of modern times, often lauded for their innovation and impact. We'll see how, 4 centuries later, they are to be judged. I doubt there'll be many standing half as tall still as him.
No, I know it's not relevant today; that it's not 'rock', and therefore 'doesn't count', but if we're to talk of [i]real [/i]game-changers, I reckon there's a lot to be considered in being humble as to what 'greatness' really means.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1455504431' post='2979674']
In his day, Paganini revolutionised the solo violin. Although his international career was short (a mere 6 years...), in that time he alone set the benchmark which is still in place today. It's difficult for youngsters to fully appreciate the true impact of his ground-breaking work and immense popularity; I suppose one had to be there to 'get it'.
There are many scholars, musicians and historians that would maintain that the greatest of them all, in so many respects, was J. S. Bach. It's difficult to fathom from this far off in time the depth of his influence and creativity, bringing, to cite just a few examples, the solo instrument to the fore as it had never been hitherto envisaged, in composing multi-part harmony of such beauty, depth and intelligence that they are studied still, and have yet to reveal all of their subtleties. We owe him counterpoint (yes, it was unthought of before his extensive use of this art...); even such apparently evident techniques such as changing keys was new and bold. Truly, on the shoulders of giants are the humble songsters of modern times, often lauded for their innovation and impact. We'll see how, 4 centuries later, they are to be judged. I doubt there'll be many standing half as tall still as him.
No, I know it's not relevant today; that it's not 'rock', and therefore 'doesn't count', but if we're to talk of [i]real [/i]game-changers, I reckon there's a lot to be considered in being humble as to what 'greatness' really means.
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.paganini.com/nicolo/nicindex.htm"]Paganini[/url], I wasn't there but I get it ... and I have been to Genoa.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1455517502' post='2979682']
I remember Brookside & Bread where always on tv when I was younger , they never made one reference to the Beatles , at least that I remember . How unrealistic
[/quote]

The Liver Birds too ... Yeh.

And Boys From The Blackstuff ... Yeh Yeh.

Not to mention Z-Cars ... Yeh Yeh Yeh.

:rolleyes:

And

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455502000' post='2979671']

You missed the biggest part of rock & roll
history there is. And the band that laid the foundation for all subsequent bands.

You have to understand The Beatles were a way of life. I feel so sorry for folks that are too young to understand The Beatles and that time period.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes, it must be time for this thread again. It's been at least a week...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455525333' post='2979721']

I know, I was hoping for a discussion of the article linked rather than the same old rubbish again. But that was yesterday ...
[/quote]

Yes, I found the article interesting. Most tourist-focussed cities have a broader range of reasons for people to visit, so it puts Liverpool in a fairly unique situation. There must be other notable things about the history and culture of the city, but the Beatles are the first thing we all think of.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455502000' post='2979671']

You have to understand The Beatles were a way of life.
[/quote]

As I said, I count myself as a Beatles fan and certainly accept they were, and are, hugely influential. But Dad's post is an excellent reminder that the arts are gloriously wide and diverse and, for my money, anyone who latches onto one artist or band as 'a way of life' is seriously depriving themselves with such a narrow outlook. It's also a recipe for artistic stagnation.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1455525680' post='2979723']
Yes, I found the article interesting. Most tourist-focussed cities have a broader range of reasons for people to visit, so it puts Liverpool in a fairly unique situation. There must be other notable things about the history and culture of the city, but the Beatles are the first thing we all think of.
[/quote]

True enough, but there are loads of other places of broader interest: for example ...

Two cathedrals

Albert dock

Lots of galleries and museums e.g. the Walker, the Tate, the Lady Lever Gallery, etc. etc., the International Slavery Museum, the Port Sunlight Museum, etc. etc.

Two top football grounds

A ferry across the Mersey

Radio City tower

... and many more.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455526473' post='2979733'] As I said, I count myself as a Beatles fan and certainly accept they were, and are, hugely influential. But Dad's post is an excellent reminder that the arts are gloriously wide and diverse and, for my money, anyone who latches onto one artist or band as 'a way of life' is seriously depriving themselves with such a narrow outlook. It's also a recipe for artistic stagnation. [/quote]

Yes, very much agreed. 'What do they know of The Beatles who only The Beatles know.'

Hailing originally from that part of the world, I've had the impression that the Beatles driven tourism has been growing over the last decade or so. As the years pass, the myth increases and so do the Beatles tourists. Economics of the region being what they are, it makes sense to cater for this growth industry, thereby tempting more tourists in reciprocating growth... eventually creating a urban theme park, multinational ownership the renaming of the city as Beatlesworld.