Why become a member? ×

Not bonding with my bass

Twincam

So I went and bought a very nice mustang bass. Ive had various ones in the past.
This one I'm just not bonding with it.
I'm not sure why. Its a nice bass all round nothing bad about it.
I paid a fair amount of money for it (for me) and feel a bit of pressure to like it.
I'm in two minds to mod it. When in all honesty its totally fine as it is now.
Or even just sell it, I know someone will love it. Trouble is I honestly wouldn't know what bass I would like. Ive had a few very good mim fenders of late trouble is I'm so much more comfortable with short scales. I like the look of the rascal bass.

You may have done this already, but change the strings and give it a setup and try again. I've had this before, where I was convinced a bass wasn't for me. A little bit of fiddling and hey presto! Admittedly it hasn't worked in every case...

Move it on and get another SS. Sometimes a bass just isn't right for you, It can sound good, look good and be well built but somehow they're just not for you. You could mod it but if you're anything like me that'll just postpone the inevitable moving on.

How long have you had it? any chance the retailer will still take it back?

Lol this will make you laugh ive changed the strings to an old set of rounds from flats. I normally hate rounds!.
Then thought what if I adjust the pickups very close to the strings again normally this is a no no for me.
Wow what a difference the old broken in (long scale!) rounds really feel much better.
And the output and tone has changed massively!. It wasn't bad before just lacked something and I've been spoilt of late.
I'm not 100% convinced yet but the feeling is good. Bit embarrassed seems a school boy error not to do that in the first place. I did set up the bass how I normally like them. Goes to show every instrument is different and I've had the same model before.
Gonna give it a few more days to decide.

Often, if a bass isn't working out for me, but I want to work with it, I give it a full service. It's amazing what a full set up can do to a bass I might be fighting. I find that getting the relief right and action can make a dog play like...well... you know, as they say 'butter'. A fret dress won't go amiss either!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452260424' post='2948176']
This one I'm just not bonding with it.
I'm not sure why. Its a nice bass all round nothing bad about it.
I paid a fair amount of money for it (for me) and feel a bit of pressure to like it.

[/quote]

I had a very similar experience recently, a beautiful bass bought from a Basschatter I consider to be a friend, others who have played it absolutely raved about it.

Me? Nothing. It just didn't "call to me". Whenever I went to pick up a bass, I never reached for it. [color=#b22222][i][Disclaimer: It is possible that I have too many basses. Far too many.][/i][/color]

I stuck it out for over two years, thinking that I would be somehow betraying the bass to sell it having played it so little. Finally I bit the bullet and traded it for something really very different, and now I wish I'd done it a long time ago.

If it ain't bust, don't fix it. But similarly, if it ain't working for you, don't keep it.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452295414' post='2948748']
Realised actually using correct length strings helps for correct tension. Going to be ordering new strings Monday.
[/quote]

If your Mustang is strung through the body you will need 32in scale strings to accommodate the extra length of string running through to the back of the bass. With short scale (30in) strings you could find the silk comes over the nut.

I've tried any number of fantastic basses that have impressed me when I've heard others playing and wondered what all the fuss was about.

I have a bass that sounds good and you can see top bassists playing any day of the week and I feel totally neutral about it. I knew in the first week that it wasn't for me but I kept it and tried hard to like it. Predictably that hasn't happened.

I should have been more decisive and sold it back then. You can spend money trying to make a bass work for you and maybe it will but probably it won't.

I've had similar things. I spent a couple of years waiting for a Westone X790 deluxe - flagship Westone bass. Just didn't ever get on with it once I finally got one - didn't like the tone. Same story with a medium scale Aria CSB 450 Black n Gold in museum condition that I imported from Japan. Looked absolutely amazing but just sounded honky to me.

If your not happy move it on ,I've had some great basses but just didn't work for no matter what I did with them ,I have that problem at the moment with my jabba love the bass but shallow I know but hate the colour but I'm learning to love it ,just a thought is set up to your liking ? If is is you ain't feeling the love . It's adios

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452337250' post='2948957']
I`m like this with Stingrays, love them when others play them but they just don`t sound right when I play them. Similarl with Jazzes though they are growing on me, I just want to find one that I really gel with.
[/quote]

Ditto with Precisions. I LOVE the way they look and like the sound when I hear some other people playing them but I can't get used to not having a bridge pickup whenever I play one.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1452340221' post='2948997']
Ditto with Precisions. I LOVE the way they look and like the sound when I hear some other people playing them but I can't get used to not having a bridge pickup whenever I play one.
[/quote]
They must have designed the PJ specifically for you.

I've just bought a new bass (SH) and I knew it wasn't an immediate bass
but I liked the sound and thought I could work with setting it up.

It's been about 2 weeks now and I've played it every day but the sound is now too whimsical.
I think the pre amp is very average, the pickups decent and the bridge not to my liking

I'm not going to 'mod' it but might replace a few parts and be able to retro fit the original
parts back.

The problem is it is not a patch on my current basses,,, and I kind of knew that would be
the case anyway.
Unsure what to do atm.. but the first thing is probably to swap out the bridge for a
Hipshot top loaded bidge.

Also research pre amps. I have two East's already so would like to try something
different.
I've given is a basic set-up but need to work on it more...

Current thinking is to keep it until my commision comes off..

Edited by JTUK

Had the same with a Warwick Thumb 5-String - the Thumb was one of those basses on my 'must have' list. Didn't get on with it - hated the neck profile and dive. The tone was good but not good enough so I bought a Dingwall Z3 and moved it on. Was pretty lucky though - only lost £45 on it!

What I found useful was to list the things I didn't like about it and then auditioned other basses against that - neck profile and balance were my biggest issues so I found bass that worked for me. Use this as part of the learning experience and use it to get closer to your perfect bass.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452337250' post='2948957']
I`m like this with Stingrays, love them when others play them but they just don`t sound right when I play them. Similar with Jazzes though they are growing on me, I just want to find one that I really gel with.
[/quote]

Totally agree, I think I am finally free of Stingray GAS, I love the look of them but just can't get on with the sound. I also have to agree with most of the other posts, if you keep picking up other basses rather than this one...then it is time to free up some cash and some space for your next bout of GAS!