Why become a member? ×

Gigging bassists... how many basses do you own?

The-Ox

Hello all

I gig about 30-40 times a year on average, mostly playing bass in a covers band playing fairly a diverse range of rock/pop stuff.

I have three basses - two Fender Precisions and a Sandberg jazz bass. I find they cover everything I need. I very seldom take more than one bass to a gig, tho I probably should as back up!

If I had to narrow it down to owning just one bass I'd say I could get away with just a Precision.

In terms of how quickly they wear, I'd say surprisingly slowly. I do play hard and loud but I don't treat them badly. My main Precision is 20 years old and has done about 75% of my gigs over the last 10 years or so, but the thick paintwork etc is miraculously almost perfectly intact.

I'd expect the Sandberg's thinner soft relic finish to age a bit quicker tho!

Edited by bassbiscuits

I don't gig that often (generally only a couple every month). I only have 2 basses and because of public transport I can only really take one to each gig. Both of the basses I use are -what I would consider to be- extremely versatile so that makes needing a particular one not an issue.

If I could have more basses then I certainly would but at the moment it's not meant to be!

I've got more basses than I need but less than I want :lol:
Gig-wise it usually comes down to an 'eeny meeny miney' between the same two -- my custom Shuker and my Sire V7 fiver. There are certain pubs that the Shuker will never see however. :)

Been doing 30-40 gigs per annum for many years now. Used to own lots of basses, now down to only 3. A 4 string PJ and 5 string JB which I will generally take to all the gigs, a Mono double keeps them safe. My 3rd is an acoustic that rarely gets used.

I must say that I like having fewer basses, makes things much easier ;)

Basses wear, it's all mojo imo.

Weekend warrior rock covers band bassist here - I usually do around 45 x 3 hour gigs per year and play at home every few nights learning new stuff.

I only actually need 2 basses - I always take a spare to each gig although i've only ever needed to do an emergency switch once in 5 years when i broke an A string 30 seconds into an opening number. I usually switch basses on the second set just to rotate them a bit.

Trouble is, i am up to 4 basses now! I had the luxury of a 3rd one and accumulated a 4th recently in a trade with the intention of moving one on but am struggling to give one up.

I have 3 Stingrays and each sounds a little different and plays slightly different so i'm happy picking any of those up.
The 1997 2 band eq has the most sublime almost twenty years worn in neck and bowel shaking organic lows. The 2002 3 band eq is really light and has a slimmer neck and is about to develop a John East preamp to give it a bit more booty - feels a bit more delicate than the 2 band. The other is a USA Sub which is an absolute monster - much less refined than the others and with the most amazing in your face gritty/slammy piano tone you could wish for even though its the cheapest of the bunch. This should be the one to lose as there are a few compromises like a painted neck and slab body which make it a bit less comfy to play than the others but i can't bear to give it up! Apparently its wired in series which is what gives it the magic.
The 4th bass is an old Sandberg VM4 - lovely slim neck, great precision tone if i need something different and a lovely rock bass - hasn't had a look in since i discovered Stingrays as its a bit subtle compared with the others but i know i would regret it if i sold it.......

Edited by Mudpup

Playing in a wedding/function band my main bass is a Musicman Stingray 5 string with a Yamaha BB1025 being my backup. I also have a Yamaha BB425 to practice in the house with and a Lindo 4 string fretless to remind me why I never want to buy an expensive fretless to gig with ever again

[quote name='vbance' timestamp='1452204363' post='2947689']
i always take 2 to a gig because i'm an expert at breaking a string.
[/quote]

I started playing electric bass guitar in 1966. I've yet to break a single string.

I thought string breaking was for guitarist.

Blue

[quote name='vbance' timestamp='1452204363' post='2947689']
i always take 2 to a gig because i'm an expert at breaking a string.
[/quote]

Get your bridge checked, you probably have a burr or two there which is catching the windings. Get some micro-files and get the bridge smooth again. Or get a roller bridge, I can recommend those!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452215216' post='2947803']

I started playing electric bass guitar in 1966. I've yet to break a single string.

I thought string breaking was for guitarist.
[/quote]

More or less the same here. The only string I ever broke was a superwound G 25 years ago when I was horsing around trying to pull off ridiculous bends in practice. I know a few pick players who break strings now and again. A few years ago I knew a guy who use a 50 pence piece as a pick (seriously!) and he broke strings regularly, not surprisingly! He had all the finesse of a charging rhino.

[quote name='basexperience' timestamp='1452247351' post='2947942']
Get your bridge checked, you probably have a burr or two there which is catching the windings. Get some micro-files and get the bridge smooth again. Or get a roller bridge, I can recommend those!
[/quote]i'm sure it's down to my awful playing technique, i play mainly with my thumb pulling away from the body. i don't ping strings all the time but when you get comments from guitarist's stating,"i've never seen a bass player snap a string before" you start to wonder what's up. Different strings on different basses except my acoustic.
So I always take two and so far never needed to take three...but you never know.

I have 7 basses and take 2 to gigs. a 5 string fretted and 5 string fretless. I'll shortly also be starting to use my NS5 upright for gigs.
The rest are on stands in various rooms to pick up whenever I'm in the mood.
I use a Kelly dragonfly fretless 5 exclusively for learning songs

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1452275797' post='2948465']
I've done two gigs in four years.

I've got two P Basses, one with flats the other with rounds, because when that 3rd gig comes knocking I want to be ready for anything!
[/quote]

A man after my own heart :)