Why become a member? ×

Gigging bassists... how many basses do you own?

The-Ox

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1452275797' post='2948465']
I've done two gigs in four years.

I've got two P Basses, one with flats the other with rounds, because when that 3rd gig comes knocking I want to be ready for anything!
[/quote]

Off topic,

I've been trying to make the point that a lot of guys no longer like gigging or can't due to life circumstances.

Blue

Edited by blue

4 basses, Bongo 5hh, Stingray 4hh, Stingray 4h, sadowsky hpj metro. I gig about 1-2 times a month.

But I largely only gig the stingray 4hh. It's the best behaved in gigging situations, even volume across all strings, no dead spots, volume is even between the 5 pickup settings and easy to use 3-band eq. I find it cuts through the mix better than the sadowsky, though I prefer the sadowsky for knocking about at home. I find that Having a dead consistent bass is one less thing to have think about when playing live. I used to bring the five string and swap in for the odd song that needed it, but it was a faff and I now use a de tune pedal.

[quote name='tom skool' timestamp='1452370846' post='2949394']
I've only ever had one bass. A Columbus jazz I bought off a neighbour for £70. After 15 years of gigging and currently 20-30 a year I think I'm due an upgrade. Got a build in the pipeline, just need the time to finish it!
[/quote]

thats a pretty cool story, you must be the most patient man on this forum!

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452269339' post='2948352']
haha, if I told you the one bass I have was an ACG would that make things better? :)
[/quote]

I trust you'll be coming to the Moffat Bass Bash to increase your desire for an ACG...

Squier J
Squier vmJ fretless
Status Matrix Energy
Sandberg Electra TT4
Yamaha TRB1004

all regulalry gigged except the Yammy which is only occasionally gigged - the blue squier J is the favourite to be honest since its been modded with wizard hammers and a j-east01

gig frequency varies from one per month if quiet during jan/feb to one or two per week when busy in summer

Edited by steve-bbb

I do 30+ gigs a year and a few week long tours a year.

I have 6 basses that are used frequently and a few in various stages of modding.

ACG 7 - main band
ACG 6 fretless - 2nd band/ solo project
ACG 6 fretted - practice/backup/solo project
ACG Jazz 5 - jazz standard jams with friends + deps
Alembic 4 - stays at home theory and reading practice
P bass copy with flats - messing with Motown stuff.

Damage wise they all get marked. The 7 has got quite a few on the headstock and body but touring will increase the chances of that.

As you can see in my signature, I've got 9 basses currently. I'd like to downsize the number into 4 but I'm afraid the number will go up. I play in 2 bands and I do 20 gigs a year. Buying basses helps me avoid spending money on unreasonable things which my wife would like to get. Every time I buy a new bass I expect she is going to kill me now. I must be cautious :)

Edited by william64

I've got two basses (US Std Precision and an Epiphany Thunderbird Pro IV). I broke a string once 30+ years ago. Occasionally I'll take both to a gig so I have a backup but mostly it's one or the other depending on the gig and how I'm getting there.

9 at home, 1 at work. I play whichever one takes my fancy at the time and I make a point of playing a different bass every gig where possible, basses which don't get played get sold. It's as much a fashion thing (will it go with my shirt?) as anything else. All basses sound bassy. Usually someone else handling FOH sound anyway so how much "control" over it do I actually have?