Why become a member? ×

Single cut basses

Kevin Dean

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1450895890' post='2936859']
That's the best looking ugly bass of the thread so far!
[/quote]

It's great because it takes the focus away from the ugly mug holding it he he he :)

I remember. The bad old days - and basses back then were just too damn light too. I'm sure I'd have kept my Peavey T40 if only it had had an extra 5lbs of wood between the top horn & 12th fret. What were they thinking?

I cry myself to sleep over What Might Have Been... :(

J.

[url="http://www.photoluminati.com/ruthsummerfestival/e4b90e96a"][/url]
Here's mine and yes it's heavy but it balances fine and my back is OK. The neck is slim but stiff, that may come from being 5 piece but it's way superior to a typical single piece of maple, Fender necks always feel unresponsive, spongey even in comparison. You can get a nice 'double bass-ish' thunk out of it. That may be the inch of walnut, I have another in maple which is more 'pop'.

Edited by cytania

Here's my three Single Cuts.

I personally love the look of single cut basses, but can totally accept the love them or hate them aspect of the design, but there's plenty other more established designs out there that are equally marmite as far as I'm concerned, the only basses that really don't seem to divide people, as far as looks go are common or garden Precision and Jazz Basses.
The design, probably makes for a larger area of contact between the neck and body, but I'm not sure it really makes that much difference, I just like the look of them.
If you don't, don't look at them ;)

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1451139189' post='2938503']
Here's my three Single Cuts.

I personally love the look of single cut basses, but can totally accept the love them or hate them aspect of the design, but there's plenty other more established designs out there that are equally marmite as far as I'm concerned, the only basses that really don't seem to divide people, as far as looks go are common or garden Precision and Jazz Basses.
The design, probably makes for a larger area of contact between the neck and body, but I'm not sure it really makes that much difference, I just like the look of them.
If you don't, don't look at them ;)

Eude
[/quote]

I was never a fan of SC basses until I stumbled across a Matt Garrison video. Fell in love with his Fodera and that started me looking at other SC basses and then came across the ACG Finn SC R Type. Instantly put in an order and can't wait for it to arrive. For me, any tonal benefit is negligible, it's purely an aesthetic preference, which I happen to love! Your ACG Finn SC classic is beautiful!!

Here's the single cut I'm building for Kert (our very own FuNkShUi )

I always thought of single cuts as interesting but a bit f'ugly, but I'm getting really excited by how I think this one is going to turn out :)

For anyone interested, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271204-single-cut-camphor-and-alder-pj/"]the ongoing build thread is here[/url].

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1450778472' post='2935696']
Neck stability is certainly increased, though some would argue that Leo's lumps are stable enough as it is. Stability/Rigidity should influence tone but that is subjective and over-rated any way. :)

Mine doesn't meet at the 12th fret (an extending arm helps with balance though) and I don't consider it ugly. ;)

[url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/100_2395_zps7083fa93.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

The Bolin is the only single cut bass that doesn't make me bring up a little bit of sick into my mouth when I see it.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1451131766' post='2938438']I remember. The bad old days - and basses back then were just too damn light too. I'm sure I'd have kept my Peavey T40 if only it had had an extra 5lbs of wood between the top horn & 12th fret. What were they thinking?[/quote]

Hmmm... so my bass weighs less than 8lb, if I take 5lb off for the cut; I'd better get some lead to stop it floating off! :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1451654893' post='2942116']
I was never a fan of SC basses until I stumbled across a Matt Garrison video. Fell in love with his Fodera and that started me looking at other SC basses and then came across the ACG Finn SC R Type. Instantly put in an order and can't wait for it to arrive. For me, any tonal benefit is negligible, it's purely an aesthetic preference, which I happen to love! Your ACG Finn SC classic is beautiful!!
[/quote]

Thanks dude!
Can't wait to see your ACG come to life!

Eude

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1452080310' post='2946125']
I don't get all this for or against nagging, if you like it buy or build one, if you don't just don't!

I don't like most of the designs and made my own, just to see if it was possible to come up with something that's pleasing to me.

[/quote]

I never tire of looking at your basses - wonderful instruments!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1450822461' post='2936282']
'Fender' ;) SC

[url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/sc%20sado_zpsoegjtdrj.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]
This is a really good looking bass-to-be. Who builds it? Yourself?