Why become a member? ×

Spare picks

mikegatward

Had to laugh watching a recent Jools Holland show. Yet another band member who had at least a dozen guitar picks attached to his mic stand

I'll all for having a spare everything when I gig but really, how many picks can someone drop during what seems to be a 3 song set with a good 20 mins between songs ?

Maybe palms get sweaty under those TV studio lights 😄

I don't get it either. Over-enthusiastic crew, perhaps? I play with a pick half the time but in 40 years I've never, ever dropped a pick or had one slip out of my fingers. Not once! Nevertheless I usually have a spare one on top of my amp or in my shirt pocket. But not a score of 'em ready to go.

I use Herco Flex 50 Gold and they just don't wear out. So the only time I need to buy new ones is when I eventually lose 'em all, which generally takes about six or seven years. :)

I play guitar in a hardcore band and drop picks all the time due to my agricultural technique and the fact we are usually jumping around a fair bit, I have spares stuck on the front of my guitar with a strip of yellow gaffa tape for easy access.

Never played bass with a pick and I will not be sticking any gaffa tape on the front of my Wals...

I have dropped pics lots of times in the past before I opted for the finger style, but I think they put lots on so that you can grab one of them without having to fumble about and select one mid song. It's like they saturate the selection to avoid delays.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1445666507' post='2893184']
Habit; his crew probably set up for a full gig regardless.
[/quote]

That will be it.

I've got one of those rubber pick-strip that I put on my mic stand. I've dropped picks during gigs before but I swap after a few songs normally because they get a bit sweaty and slippy. I also have a habit of throwing them at drummers so I need a few spares.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1445637755' post='2893115']
Had to laugh watching a recent Jools Holland show. Yet another band member who had at least a dozen guitar picks attached to his mic stand

I'll all for having a spare everything when I gig but really, how many picks can someone drop during what seems to be a 3 song set with a good 20 mins between songs ?

Maybe palms get sweaty under those TV studio lights ��
[/quote]

When I played guitar in bands I used to have a spare blutacked to the back of the headstock, never needed it but I guess its better to have it there and not need it ...

Edited by bassman7755

I only use one for a couple of songs on bass and keep it (or two if I feel like it) in the money pocket of my jeans.

However, I swap between fingerpicking and plectrum on guitar, and I have one of those spring plectrum holders on the front of my guitar. Black Variax and black plectrum holder so it's not too visually obtrusive.

Playing gigs on my acoustic guitar a pick lasts about a set and a half before snapping, Somehow I always forget to bring out a new one between sets, On numerous occasions I've needed to find a pick quickly on a table top- You'd think I'd have come up with a better plan but somehow it always slips my mind

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1445707099' post='2893643']
I remember seeing Anthrax years ago and the guitarist came back on at end of gig and emptied a bucket full of picks into audience. Bit daft really!
[/quote]unless, your guitarist suggests you get a load of picks made with your band name on only to find out they break after half a song, we gave them away

on the subject of picks... I like to use big thumb picks but I easily wear them down within an hour of playing. I see Discreet recommends some long lasting picks but I can't find any nylon thumb picks straight from google, and searching through the music shop sites is a bit impossible. Do we have a "plectrumchat" or maybe an existing thread on here?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1445873758' post='2894888']
on the subject of picks... I like to use big thumb picks but I easily wear them down within an hour of playing. I see Discreet recommends some long lasting picks but I can't find any nylon thumb picks straight from google, and searching through the music shop sites is a bit impossible. Do we have a "plectrumchat" or maybe an existing thread on here?
[/quote]
What about something like a thumb pick holder? It's a clip that attaches to your thumb that you can attach normal picks to.

http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2013/03/chris-broderick-pick-clip-product-review/

I could never find nylon thumb picks that fitted comfortably and ones with a metal clip were a bugger to find, so I ended up just going with all metal ones. For the banjo that is, I use normal picks for bass.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1445875580' post='2894921']
What about something like a thumb pick holder? It's a clip that attaches to your thumb that you can attach normal picks to.

[url="http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2013/03/chris-broderick-pick-clip-product-review/"]http://hardrockhaven...product-review/[/url]

I could never find nylon thumb picks that fitted comfortably and ones with a metal clip were a bugger to find, so I ended up just going with all metal ones. For the banjo that is, I use normal picks for bass.
[/quote]

That looks great, thanks!