Why become a member? ×

LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2016

TheGreek

Managed to get in yesterday morning. Managed to talk to only a few people. I'll be there next year for a longer stint though.

One thing I can say though is I'm the reason that fretless Enfield has a "sold" sticker on it. I can't do a NBD post yet as it's not in my hands and they need to change the pickguard.

Did anyone else have a go on that stainless steel fingerboard fretless (Le Fay) It was gorgeous and surprisingly felt and sounded great.

I bought a weekend ticket just for the masterclasses and stage shows, however, I am staying put at home today to play with my new amp.

Notwithstanding that, yesterday was just superb, I went to all the master classes and two stage shows and each one was superb. Particular highlights were Freakbass and Micheal Manring. Micheal's music is so way off what I usually listen to / play, I went in with low expectations. Big mistake; listening to him play and the sounds / tones he can get from a bass was an amazing experience. What he can do with a bass is bordering on magical. Dave Swift and Suzi Quattro were entertaining but with limited insights for me.

In terms of the performances, I saw Rhino and Trujillo. Rhino was a little meh (not my cup of tea and too many band mistakes), but Mass Mental were just fantastic. The first couple of tunes almost had me leave due to the volume and the impact it was having on my heart (I have arrhythmia), but literally risking life I stayed on and I am so glad I did. Unbeeffingleavable I is all I can say. To mix metal with funk in the way they did was just brilliant and to finish with Mark King on stage with them was a true finale.

In terms of stands, there was plenty for me to look at, but I was not in a buying or trying mode, so did not touch anything. The five string Overwater Perception, did look good, however, as did some of the Gillett Electro Acoustics. I spent some time chatting with Stuart Spector, what a nice guy, Chris from Smoothound and a few random people throughout the day. All in all a great day and already looking forward to next year.

Edited by Bobthedog

Met a few Bass chaters.Had a great chat we Dave Boonshoft Detailing why they Made the D751 over the D750.What a nice guy.Also loved the Quality of the Marvin guitars.nearly got me on to active Basses,Also the new Eich formally Tecamp , Amps and cabs ,Thomas Eich Another easy guy to chat too.Altogether a very enjoyable day.

Sounds like its been a great show so far. I'll be there next year at all costs!!

There are rumblings that Martin Sim didn't end up attending due to a serious injury?! I spotted a few people on social media wishing him a fast recovery (which id like to echo!). I hope it wasn't anything to do with the wall collapse mentioned by Dave Swift on Friday!

Edited by skej21

Apparently Martin dropped a very large case containing several basses onto his arm breaking his wrist. He was still in hospital yesterday awaiting an operation as there were many splintered bones which need to be removed.

Here's hoping for a swift recovery...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457874596' post='3002525']
Apparently Martin dropped a very large case containing several basses onto his arm breaking his wrist. He was still in hospital yesterday awaiting an operation as there were many splintered bones which need to be removed.

[/quote]

Was nice to meet you Billy and Blue Jay yesterday.Sorry couldn't hang around train to catch .Best Rich

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457874596' post='3002525']

[/quote]

I spoke to the guy manning the Sim stand and understand the accident happened whilst unloading at the show.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1457868136' post='3002431']
In terms of the performances, I saw Rhino and Trujillo. Rhino was a little meh (not my cup of tea and too many band mistakes), but Mass Mental were just fantastic.
[/quote]

To be fair with Rhino, he had to cancel a UK and European tour because of a serious illness and the drummer filled in at very late notice. Mass mental were banging.

Well, I got there in time to see Micheal Manring, I was chuckling to myself, totally amazed at his virtuosity with 'altered' tuning, everything else seemed vapid after that especially all the slaparama in the booths. Enjoyed looking at the stands, said hello to Chris at Overwater, Mark and Marcus at Bass Direct and another person I had come to see, Thomas Eich. the result of that meeting is in the following snaps:

In the Box
[attachment=214634:Boxed.JPG]
Can you guess what it is yet?
[attachment=214636:Manual.JPG]
Wrapped
[attachment=214635:T 1000 Wrapped.JPG]
The Back
[attachment=214637:T 1000 Rear.JPG]
The all important Front
[attachment=214638:All Lit up.JPG]

This is a replacement for the Tecamp Bona I sold..............................

Happy :rolleyes:

Oh, bought a set of flats, a Lead and got a selfie with Micheal Manring and another with Scott Devine, I'll not post them I look like the old man I am.... ;)

Edited by Oldman

I was there yesterday (Saturday) and had a fantastic time.
Busier than last year, good exhibitor list, and lots of lovely faces to catch up with!

Gear wise I didn't try anything (I was in catch-up / chatting mode), but great to see so many amazing ACG basses in one place, and I'm also quite interested in the Jule Amp range!

Federico Malaman was a highlight for me, and I also stayed on in the evening to watch the Jaco film. First time I've seen it, very poignant and well made!

Si

My first bass show and loved it. Lots of gear and the live performances were well worth the ticket price. Luckily I have a new bass on order - otherwise I would have spent more time playing with toys! Got a brief chance to play a PJ Sandberg at the PJB booth (white with tort) and it was much, much better than I though. Yikes. Luckily it wasn't for sale! Next year I will be networking more - so many inspirational people.

Went on Saturday and had an enjoyable day! Didn't catch as many of you as I would have liked, but was good to speaking to those whom I did and hanging out with BigBassBob for the day! Spent a lot of time with Mark, Doug, Sheldon and co at the Bass Direct stand, mostly drooling over the D-Bird :)

Just the one performance for me, Michael Manring, and I was blown away by his crazy talent. You hardly believe all that sound on the records is produced by a single instrument in a single layer but, yup, it is, albeit with help from a floor unit. Amazing man and extremely humble.

Another amazing day. Robert Trujillo very interesting and entertaining, Michael Manring just beautiful and joyful, plus rock n Roll anecdotes from Suzie and Hookie. Wonderful stuff.

Plus more hanging out with Michael Mondesir, who is officially my new best mate now, lol :-)

I was there yesterday and had a great day! I hung out at the Eich stand mostly and was amazed by the new amps ánd the fantastic basses Gerald Marleaux makes. I fell in love with this baby...

I spoke to a few Basschatters I think, but sorry for not remembering everybody ;) Biggest surprises for me basswise were Stonefield (weird looks but sound great!), Oliver Lang, Overwater and Ellio Martina. Especially Ellio's basses really put a huge smile on my face... If anyone has any video or photo material, I'm most curious!

Spent the two days walking round in circles, ogling/trying some finely crafted instruments. Thought I might try a Status Jazz neck for the Jap 63 pbass that sits in its case...................ended up leaving the show this evening with a beautiful S2. Doesn't need saying.............my first BGS was awesome.