Why become a member? ×

Recording with a Wal, gigging with something else?

Beedster

I gigged all the time with my 5 string Custom Mk3 Wal (even in grotty pubs) but I didn't think it was the best fit for the Blues and Soul bands I started playing with, so I bought a Lakland.

After that I used the Wal in the studio, where its sounded fantastic, and gigging in several originals bands, where I thought it's fat and warm sound worked better than the Lakland did.

The sound of one bass over another is a judgement and preference call. It's just finding the right tools for the job.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441047165' post='2855671']
Don't want to play a 14lb bass for a two hour show?
[/quote]

I think this might have something in it. McCartney is an older guy and Flea jumps about a lot! I'm not sure I'd choose a heavier bass for gigging in either circumstance, however good it sounded in the studio.

I'm sure I read an interview with Flea once where he said that the Wal was too boutique and posh for his image live. Saw Geddy playing his Wals at Wembley on the Hold Your Fire and Roll The Bones tours.

Macca played his 5-string live through the 90s.
http://youtu.be/uPYD0xD32bk

Edited by TrevorR

They're heavy, cumbersome beasts in my experience. Big old neck on the one I had. Didn't balance well with the short upper horn (Mark 1 shape). They need to be wrestled with which isn't what most people want in a bass - I certainly didn't. Sound bloody good but not worth the money they currently fetch while we're on the subject (IMHO, YMMV and all that)...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1441087109' post='2855877']
They're heavy, cumbersome beasts in my experience. Big old neck on the one I had. Didn't balance well with the short upper horn (Mark 1 shape). They need to be wrestled with which isn't what most people want in a bass - I certainly didn't. Sound bloody good but not worth the money they currently fetch while we're on the subject (IMHO, YMMV and all that)...
[/quote]

The Mk3 shape is as light and ergonomic as any other modern bass. It has a smaller body, longer top horn and hipshot ultralights, it also doesn't have the paddle headstock. I played a four string version at a recent visit to Wal HQ and it was one of the lightest basses I've played. The Mk1 (whilst iconic) is a shape and design born of the late 70s where weight didn't seem to be a consideration...

My six string MK3 is 11.2lb... My four string MK1 weighs in at slightly under 11lb... so there is a marked difference between the shapes.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1441090070' post='2855888']

The Mk3 shape is as light and ergonomic as any other modern bass. It has a smaller body, longer top horn and hipshot ultralights, it also doesn't have the paddle headstock. I played a four string version at a recent visit to Wal HQ and it was one of the lightest basses I've played. The Mk1 (whilst iconic) is a shape and design born of the late 70s where weight didn't seem to be a consideration...
[/quote]

Wish that had been the case when Wals were more affordable - might still have mine if it had!

I never got the issue about Wals and weight. It may be because I am 6'1" and 17 stone and that the 'extra' weight of a Wal is, in percentage terms, relatively minimal. It may also be that I have played one almost exclusively for 29 years and cannot remember what a lighter bass feels like. Compared to manipulating a double bass, it is a dream.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1441095286' post='2855918']
I never got the issue about Wals and weight. It may be because I am 6'1" and 17 stone and that the 'extra' weight of a Wal is, in percentage terms, relatively minimal. It may also be that I have played one almost exclusively for 29 years and cannot remember what a lighter bass feels like. Compared to manipulating a double bass, it is a dream.
[/quote]

Similar with my P. I had played it happily for ten years (with a thin leather strap) and it was only when I joined BC that I was told that it's 'unplayable' :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1441098186' post='2855945']
Similar with my P. I had played it happily for ten years (with a thin leather strap) and it was only when I joined BC that I was told that it's 'unplayable' :D
[/quote]
[/quote]

Same here. Never really understood the complaint and I'm no behemoth. Granted, I use a 4in leather strap but I've never had a problem with balance issues or the weight of my Mk 1 or my Pro (including across wedding gigs where you rack up over a couple of hours playing time). Of course, of someone finds it an issue there are plenty of other basses out there that they can plump for... Horses for courses.

[/quote]

I'm going to guess that your performances are a little less physical than Flea's though. I imagine that sort of thing wouldn't get you asked back to jazz gigs!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441101015' post='2855973']
I'm going to guess that your performances are a little less physical than Flea's though. I imagine that sort of thing wouldn't get you asked back to jazz gigs!
[/quote]

Say you don't know.....

I gig mine when a fretless is called for, really don't see the issue with weight or comfort - or image come to that! It sounds fantastic and plays superbly. How many people in a pub audience will spot a Wal and know what it is anyway?. I do get a bit nervous in the seedier places, that's why I bought the Cort!

Could it be to do with the pre-amp? I've never had the pleasure of playing a Wal, but I get the impression it would be very easy to knock the controls and change the sound into something unusable.

Edited by Graham