Why become a member? ×

Swiss Army Knife Bass

Stealth

[quote name='countjodius' timestamp='1438676635' post='2836232']
G&L L2000 all the way! If you remove the battery the passive mode works normally, but the signal can be killed when switched to active, so the passive/active switch essentially becomes a mute toggle.
[/quote]

That's right. The treble and bass controls are both passive (so full up is 'flat'), the active mode switches in the pre-amp for a more modern sound and a slight volume hike (I estimate 3dB).

Yes, lots of different suggestions, but I notice that most of them have both bridge and neck pickups. I still refuse to believe that you can get a credible bridge pickup sound from a bass with no bridge pickup. Yes, you can kind of fake it by playing near the bridge, but it doesn't really cut it, at least not to my ear anyway.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1438643573' post='2836123']
The other advantage the G&L L2500/L2000 has over Sandberg/Warwick etc is that all it's controls can be used in passive mode, so if you run out of battery/want a passive sound you can still use all the other tone-shaping stuff :)
[/quote]
Not so much an advantage over Sandberg - all Sandbergs have active/passive switching, and in passive mode the treble pot functions as a passive tone roll-off, just like a Precision or Jazz tone knob. Oh, and they can run in passive mode with no battery installed as well.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438682405' post='2836299']
So, 60 posts and 59 suggestions. If we are correct and that many different instruments will work then, your style, ability, note choice and how you EQ will make your performance fit and not the instrument you choose.
[/quote]

Right then, lets sort the amp and cab out next lol.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1438684361' post='2836324']
:lol: How hard can it be?!
[/quote]

I'd expect a good majority of the styles listed were played on passive Fenders, and i cant imagine any of these humbucking basses getting that close. Its a non starter really, and more of a GAS release....IMO of course :-)

Saying that, the G&L's do look like the most versatile for covering most things but not really needed IME.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='countjodius' timestamp='1438676635' post='2836232']
G&L L2000 all the way! If you remove the battery the passive mode works normally, but the signal can be killed when switched to active, so the passive/active switch essentially becomes a mute toggle.
[/quote]
Huh, that definitely puts this bass on my radar. There's a shop about 30 miles north from where I'm at that carries G&L's. I think I need to pay them a visit.

The 4 string 2 band active Sandbergs have a tone control that works even with the battery removed in passive mode. My vote would be the all passive Sandberg Umbo though.

Not the best recording but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RjmUFec40

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1438695071' post='2836450']
How about the Peavey T40? Single coil/humbucking, pickup blend, phase switch seems to cover many styles - at least from what I've heard on YouTube, as I've not played one!
[/quote]

You'd think so, but I found it too muddy in most settings.

Although I think my Vigier bass is very flexible and suitable for most things, it's since I installed the Vbass pickup that I can truly call it a 'Swiss Army Knife' as it now does a perfect MM, Jazz and P bass impression too (those of you at the SEBB a few years ago would have heard it)

I agree that a lot of the sound is in the playing but you simply can't create a MM sound with a P bass and vice versa, so it's nice to have them on tap.

ped

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1438695550' post='2836459']
The 4 string 2 band active Sandbergs have a tone control that works even with the battery removed in passive mode. My vote would be the all passive Sandberg Umbo though.

Not the best recording but....

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RjmUFec40"]https://www.youtube....h?v=T-RjmUFec40[/url]
[/quote]
Yeah I kind of gear towards passive basses, even though most of mine our active.

But I guess this is not answering the OP's question.....sorry I distracted from the topic, but thank you for the information

Edited by R.I.P.

And with another suggestion.....

I play in a wedding/function and and I don't have the time or inclination to mess around with settings or pedals so I need something that I can make sound different without adjust anything other than what I do with my fingers. I also don't have the time to change basses during songs either - I barely have time to tune up sometimes.

Many basses will do this. It just so happens that I love the sound of my Yamaha BB1025 and how it responds to how I play it. I also have it set up so that if I dig in it will growl and clank away.

Basses that have worked for me have been Bass Collection SB305, Musicman Stingray 5, Epiphone Goth Thunderbird, Fender Precision with EMGs and now the Yamaha. There have been loads of others.

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1438635282' post='2836041']
Looks like a three way Sandberg / Warwick / GL race with active Jazz as an outsider

Intresting and useful
Shopping time
[/quote]

I think you're relatively close to me, you're welcome to have a go on my L2000 Tribute you fancy it.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1438778003' post='2837137']
Fender PJ Mex (which I use). Very versatile.
[/quote]

Active? I know passive PJ basses can be versatile - but compared to the same bass with a good 2 or 3 band pre - it's far less flexible! Of course if you like the passive option - something like the East J retro deluxe:
[url="http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/all-products/j-retro-01-deluxe.html"]http://www.east-uk.c...-01-deluxe.html[/url]
Which has two important (for me) features: Passive option with a "normal" tone pot that works in active & passive modes. I had a G&L L2500 - the tribute version - a really flexible and awesome instrument. Loved the string spacing too - at the bridge and nut. Couldn't get on with the neck however :( - Too much wood for me!
Awesome Pre however - Bass & Treble cut in active or passive modes. I'm planning a project where I might try a J retro deluxe - but If I could get a L2500 pre I'd be pretty interested to try it out!

EDIT: G&L may be selling them: [url="http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/electronics/products/electronics-preamp-active-bass"]http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/electronics/products/electronics-preamp-active-bass[/url]
Sweet!

Edited by PlungerModerno

I would go for a P/J pickup configuration. It will not sound like a jazz bass, but it gets closer than if you want to emulate a P bass on a jazz, IMO/E. (I have never rellay suceeded in faking a P bass on a J by favoring the neck PU). You might even look at one with an MM-style humbucker at the bridge.

Laklands 55-02/55-94 or 44-02/44-94 are also pretty verstatile.

I've used a Thumb for everything from heavy rock to a trad folk ceilidh band (no drums, very trad). I'd find it strange if a bass couldn't be used across a wide range of musical genres. Mind you, it would need to be fretless to cover as many eventualities as possible.