Why become a member? ×

Can't hear myself warm up at rehearsal, so I now just sit and wait!

thebrig

You should quietly write a little drums/bass jam called "Steve is noodling again" (substitute Steve for your guitarist's name). Then, whenever he starts noodling, just start playing the song until he stops. If he starts playing along, then change key.

This is not a serious suggestion, by the way.

S.P.

Only read the OP but I don't know how you guys work like this.

Tell the 'dick'; to shut the **** up as you are there to work and
sort things and that sort of environment is just not conducive to
doing that, IMO.

Same at gigs really..you have 5 mins to get your sound checked and then
everyone is silent until you go on. Unless there are technical problems,
it really shouldn't be any other way...

I couldn't really watch or listen to bands that don't know when to shut up...be it drummers, bass players
or whatever.
You should know what you are going to do and all you want to check is your sounds.. that's it.

As for rehearsals...they aren't for learning individual parts, IMO... they are for learning band parts
so whilst it may happen if the player just hasn't had time..it should NOT happen at every rehearsal
as that goes to an unprepared and selfish player, IMO.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437552322' post='2826909']
I take it you own a dog ;)
[/quote]

A good point. Just get a water pistol and squirt him with water every time he indulges in unacceptable behaviour. If this fails, escalate to bleach, and if you still get the same problems, petrol, and apply a lighted match.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437560827' post='2826996']
Just get a water pistol and squirt him with water every time he indulges in unacceptable behaviour.
[/quote]

Or smack him smartly across the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and say firmly, 'NO!' ...'NO!'

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437552232' post='2826906']
I'm good mates with our guitarist and I frequently tell him to shut the f*** up! It usually works.
No one likes other people's noise when they are trying to tune up or get a sound. Just tell him to give you a chance!
[/quote]

+1 for this one.

If you're good friends anyway, and explain to him that you need to discuss something between songs, then surely he will stop noodling away.

Does he play at the same volume level while you're rehearsing?

If he plays through a valve amp, it generally is not a good idea to switch it off while running, but there's usually a "Standby" or "Mute" switch next to the power switch. Alternatively, just unplug his lead! :D

I remember switching one guitarists amp off mid-rehearsal because of his constant noodling while the rest of us were trying to discuss something... he was a tad annoyed to say the least! :D We were trying out a new second guitarist, he didn't come back for another rehearsal.

When that happens, I just turn up 15 minutes late to practices to give whoever it is time to set up & get it out of the way. By the time I've finished plugging in, they're usually about ready so don't miss any practice time. Fortunately I've managed to drift away from most of those bands...

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1437550358' post='2826876']
[size=5][size=4]it's the same between numbers when we want to discuss something, and nobody can hear whats being said due to the bloody guitard playing away![/size][/size]
[/quote]
In that situation, I'd be more than likely to stick a hand in the air or wave in front of his face and yell over the din, "HOLD ON, WE'RE TRYING TO TALK HERE AND I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF F**KING THINK" or something along those lines. Subsequent occurrences would see varying degrees of rag being lost. If he wants to widdle aimlessly, he can do it at home.

It's not just guitarists. Ever tried using a headstock tuner on an acoustic guitar while someone's widdling away on a bass? Can't be done. Big vibrations, see.

Rehearsals are for routining songs, not for working out bass lines.

Respectfully yours

Acoustic guitard about to go postal.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1437572873' post='2827172']

No. He's bang on there. This guitarist may be many things, including a decent player, but you just don't behave this way towards friends. The OP may perceive the guitarist as a good mate, but it's clear the guitarist doesn't reciprocate. It's inconsiderate at best, but given they've had words about it and it continues, then it's just plain ignorant, rude and bloody irritating. I'm generally not too friendly with that sort of person.
[/quote]

Well I'm glad I'm not mates with you pair if you question a good friendship on a minor irritation! Sure you get pissed off, but you are not going to stop going out for a drink with him, are you?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437562800' post='2827015']

Or smack him smartly across the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and say firmly, 'NO!' ...'NO!'
[/quote]

It's long been accepted that the best way to train a guitarist is by positive affirmation, rather than by rubbing his nose in the stench he's made.
So if he's good, give him a treat. This will, of course, vary depending on the type of band.
If it's 70s style rock covers, a Werther's Original or barley sugar will suffice. If it's mathcore or something similarly young then Haribo or cheesestrings will have to do.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1437550358' post='2826876']
[size=5]Is it just me?[/size]
[/quote]

God no. We've three of the buggers in one of my bands. To be fair to one of them he's the singer and is pretty good. Trying to get the other two to shut up and pay attention when you're trying to explain the difference between F and F# (seriously!) can be trying.

Last gig we finished at 11 as per the venue's live music license and turn off and wander off for a pint before packing up... Queue one of the guitarists staying up on stage doing a random 'greatest hits' of averagely played riffs. I wandered up and turned his amp off. Seemed to do the trick.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1437581228' post='2827283']If it's 70s style rock covers, a Werther's Original or barley sugar will suffice. If it's mathcore or something similarly young then Haribo or cheesestrings will have to do.[/quote]

The forum needs a +1/Like button... genius post.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437579576' post='2827252']
Well I'm glad I'm not mates with you pair if you question a good friendship on a minor irritation!
[/quote]

I'd class it as a little more than a minor irritation if the OP feels frustrated or annoyed enough to start a thread about it. Especially when the OP has asked his "good mate" on numerous occasions to stop.

The point I was making earlier is that what the OP describes, is not what you'd (at least I would not...) consider a "good mate" to do. This is not to say that I would not go for a drink and some light banter with the whole band after a rehearsal.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1437581228' post='2827283']
It's long been accepted that the best way to train a guitarist is by positive affirmation, rather than by rubbing his nose in the stench he's made.
So if he's good, give him a treat. This will, of course, vary depending on the type of band.
If it's 70s style rock covers, a Werther's Original or barley sugar will suffice. If it's mathcore or something similarly young then Haribo or cheesestrings will have to do.
[/quote]

Something that occupies hands can be advantageous for those (all too long...) moments. When the 'widdling' starts, hand over a well-mixed Rubik's cube, or a bilboquet. If that, too, is too irritating as a noise (the repeated 'Blast..! Sod it..! Oh bugger..!' can be wearing...), a Times crossword and a pencil could do the trick. Knitting can be a bit more problematic than it's worth, though.

Edited by Dad3353

Pull the input lead out of his amp and wave it at him in the most condescending fashion whilst saying "And you can have this back when you've thought about your actions young man".........

There has to be a clear message but it must be delivered with good humour and a sense of commeradery !

Once the laughter has stopped you can deliver the clear, reasonable request such as "mate , honestly, you gotta chill that volume the fck out....it's a bit disruptive and if nothing else, bloody annoying :) "
You can soften the statement with a big gay I love you buddy at the end of it.......

He's your mate, he'l be ok with it if you get your message across right......

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1437582465' post='2827300']

I'd class it as a little more than a minor irritation if the OP feels frustrated or annoyed enough to start a thread about it. Especially when the OP has asked his "good mate" on numerous occasions to stop.

The point I was making earlier is that what the OP describes, is not what you'd (at least I would not...) consider a "good mate" to do. This is not to say that I would not go for a drink and some light banter with the whole band after a rehearsal.
[/quote]

I myself have started threads on this forum to moan about irritations, but that doesn't mean I'm considering breaking up a friendship because of it. My best mate is our guitarist. He drives me up the wall with his noodling, ocd and other annoying habits, but he's still my mate and we forget about these things very quickly after we have moved on.
I made the initial quip about putting it into perspective thinking I was being light hearted but you seem to think a friend making a noise on his guitar when you want him to stop, isn't a real friend!
I find this a bit unnerving to be honest

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437584440' post='2827319']
I myself have started threads on this forum to moan about irritations, but that doesn't mean I'm considering breaking up a friendship because of it. My best mate is our guitarist. He drives me up the wall with his noodling, ocd and other annoying habits, but he's still my mate and we forget about these things very quickly after we have moved on.
I made the initial quip about putting it into perspective thinking I was being light hearted but you seem to think a friend making a noise on his guitar when you want him to stop, isn't a real friend!
I find this a bit unnerving to be honest
[/quote]

I'm sorry you find it unnerving. It's just that we appear to have different expectations of what a good mate is or should be. There is nothing more sinister in it than that. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1437551727' post='2826898']
Unacceptable behaviour at any time.

Worse, if you and the drummer just passively accept this, you are tacitly encouraging him to carry on.

Either you need to drag him down the pub and have a proper talk about it, or you need to find another way of rubbing his nose in it.

You and the drummer could simply leave the room every time he does it and force him to come and find you. You'd need to do that EVERY time though, not just occasionally.
[/quote]

totally agree. other options are also walking over to the amp and turning it down and if he wants to then talk about it, you have a fairly blunt start to the conversation, but it's a bit more aggressive than I would go for.

Simple question to ask him is "If you're warming up, why are you playing at a level that is far louder than you play at normally?"

This is assuming he's not playing at this level all the time in which case if you see yourselves playing together for a long time, you need to sort your levels out now before you start losing hearing.