Why become a member? ×

Can't hear myself warm up at rehearsal, so I now just sit and wait!

thebrig

I'm in a band with a couple of really good mates. When one of them starts talking, I like to play funky slap bass at extreme volumes. It winds him up. His counter is to play metallica very, very badly, at even more extreme volumes. It stops me pretty quick, then we have our discussion.

Surely there's something he hates so much you can just play it at full whack every time he annoys you?

Used to happen all the time with my old band. Guitarist and drummer constantly widdling, bashing and clattering before and in between songs (in rehearsals).
I used to have to get on the mic to make myself heard (just to ask 'what are we doing next, 'shall we take it from the bridge?' etc) If that didn't work I'd give them a 'Time Out' T sign. I could have used other signs, but I wanted to remain friends, lol :)

I think that sometimes this kind of behaviour is due to the perpetrator not being able to make much noise at home, and them seeing the rehearsal as an opportunity to try things out at "gig volume". So maybe suggest that he spends 10-15 mins at the start of the session getting it all out of his system with an understanding that after this you all work together?

Bludgeon him to death with a blunt instrument, then impale his still twitching corpse on a mic stand and parade him right at the front of the stage as a warning to other potential silence shatterers to get some 'res-peck man'

Im not joking here, its a tried and tested method of setting out your stall, Les Claypool has already done it, that trout used to flap his fins all over its Fin-der Strato'caster, scales flying everywhere, volume at eleven. Les just flipped one day, and has never had the problem since