Why become a member? ×

Can't hear myself warm up at rehearsal, so I now just sit and wait!

thebrig

[size=5]I get so frustrated at rehearsals because I never get the chance to warm up and actually hear myself.[/size]

[size=5]Once the guitarist plugs in and starts thrashing away at high volume and without any thought for others, that's the end of it, even the drummer gives me a defeatist look, and we both just sit down and wait until everyone is ready and we go straight in to the songs, and of course it's the same between numbers when we want to discuss something, and nobody can hear whats being said due to the bloody guitard playing away!

Is it just me?[/size]

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1437550539' post='2826878']
Get a headphone amp, like the Vox Amplug, and noodle away to your heart's content.... :yarr:
[/quote]I have GB Shuttle 9.2 head with a headphone socket, but I would still hear him even with the headphones on! :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437550803' post='2826883']
Either he's got to go, or you have.
[/quote]Trouble is we are good mates and our musical tastes and ideas are very similar, so I think we will be playing music together for some time.
I've told him many times about it, but it makes no difference! :dash1:

Unacceptable behaviour at any time.

Worse, if you and the drummer just passively accept this, you are tacitly encouraging him to carry on.

Either you need to drag him down the pub and have a proper talk about it, or you need to find another way of rubbing his nose in it.

You and the drummer could simply leave the room every time he does it and force him to come and find you. You'd need to do that EVERY time though, not just occasionally.

Once he`s gone through his warm up for 10mins or so, walk over to his amp, switch it off and say "my turn" very loudly, with a smile on your face.

Hopefully, as you`re good mates, he`ll get the humour - you could even make it a regular part of the weekly practice.

Guest bassman7755

If he behaves like that at rehearsal them expect the same at gigs i.e. endless faffing about and noodling before you start and between songs.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1437551656' post='2826896']
Actually, thinking about it, when I warm up at a rehearsal I do it in silence. Don't need any volume to warm my hands up!

Drummers always banging things and guitarist is setting his effects so I just do some scales in silence.
[/quote]I do try warm up a bit in silence, like you say, scales etc.. but when you have about 50watts of valve amp blasting away in a small rehearsal room, it's can be very distracting to say the least.

I'm good mates with our guitarist and I frequently tell him to shut the f*** up! It usually works.
No one likes other people's noise when they are trying to tune up or get a sound. Just tell him to give you a chance!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1437551727' post='2826898']
Unacceptable behaviour at any time.

Worse, if you and the drummer just passively accept this, you are tacitly encouraging him to carry on.

Either you need to drag him down the pub and have a proper talk about it, or you need to find another way of rubbing his nose in it.

You and the drummer could simply leave the room every time he does it and force him to come and find you. You'd need to do that EVERY time though, not just occasionally.
[/quote]

I take it you own a dog ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1437551840' post='2826900']
Once he`s gone through his warm up for 10mins or so, walk over to his amp, switch it off and say "my turn" very loudly, with a smile on your face.

Hopefully, as you`re good mates, he`ll get the humour - you could even make it a regular part of the weekly practice.
[/quote]

+1 for this idea :)
Yes, it's often a problem with guitarists & drummers

I'd say you should always warm up, even before rehearsal
Do some scales or just move finger by finger, up & down the fretboard

Can you hear yourself at gigs? Or is he constantly drowning you out?

Best of luck!

It's not discipline that's needed here so much as auto-discipline. Some folks are better at it than others. A frank discussion between all concerned, and a common agreement as to how to go forward are recommended. Should be possible; all the more easily if you're all good buddies. Good luck with it, anyway.

Poor form from gtr. If he's just warming his fingers up he doesn't need much, if indeed any, volume. If there are specific sounds he needs that can only be achieved at volume then if he can't get them sorted in a minute or two he doesn't really know what he's doing and needs to do some prep work on his own without wasting band rehearsal time.

Thankfully, we don't have any problems at gigs, I have told him he has to cut out all the noodling between songs etc.. and he seems to have taken that on board, its just at rehearsals where he is an annoying *******!!! :(

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1437551681' post='2826897']
Trouble is we are good mates and our musical tastes and ideas are very similar, so I think we will be playing music together for some time.
I've told him many times about it, but it makes no difference! :dash1:
[/quote]

In that case he is NOT a "good mate". You and the other band members should not have to wait around until he is ready. However, if you are prepared to put up with his selfish behavior, you have two options.

1. Arrive a bit earlier than him and warm up.

2. Warm up by doing gentle stretches [i]without [/i]the bass for about five minutes., There are lots of clips on You Tube. You dont require the amp to physically warm up the hands and fingers to be ready for playing. After your stretches you can do chromatic scales and such like on the bass without the amp.

Having said the above, I still think your "good mate" should act as a fellow band member, and not just think of himself.

If he is a 'good' mate you should be able to swear at him ie 'shut the f#@k for 30 seconds cant ye?' without him getting all huffy. Heaps of banter like that at our rehearsals, no one ever takes offence, although I put on a hurt face if someone does it to me :lol: !

He's being a dick - if he wants to play loud, he should turn up early, that way he isn't boring anyone else with his fretw*nkery...

Mate or not, I wouldn't put up with that at a rehearsal - just walk over and unplug him...