Why become a member? ×

Motorhead At Glasto 2015 - BBC4

spongebob

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1435393058' post='2808301']
Me too! Warts 'n' all.
[/quote]

:)

Never been much of a Motorhead fan, beyond Plate of Spuds I've always regarded most of their stuff as noisy simplistic plodding with some tracks a bit faster than others. Of course, all IMO etc etc. Saw them at Hyde Park and they were dire - although actually better than I expected - but Lemmy just looked like a sad old and very ill man.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1435385973' post='2808256']
I didn't get to watch much of it last night but out the bits I did see, the most unimpressive was Florence and the most enjoyable for me was Jungle.
[/quote]Jungle were excellent, I loved the sound the bassist was getting out of that Thunderbird, and what about that little kid breakdancing?

I remember when Wilko was on the Jools Hootenanny last year, and there was a similar thread. Some saw it as a tuneless, uncontrolled racket...Whilst others welcomed a real raw spirit in comparison to the other acts on the show.

I'm just catching up on a bit of the Florence set now - a stage filled with multitude of instruments and backing vocalists.....

Nice white P-bass though!

Give the raw racket anytime....and I've not mentioned Lem's Ricke......oops!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1435394762' post='2808323']
Jungle were excellent, I loved the sound the bassist was getting out of that Thunderbird, and what about that little kid breakdancing?
[/quote]

The kid was very impressive.

I've never been much of a Thunderbird fan but it did sound great and look super cool.

I want to like Florence- she seems like a good person but my oh my...
Flat as you like with a vibrato like Feargal Sharkey on a jackhammer. Every time I looked up at the screen I kept imagining Sarah Ferguson doing a tribute to Kate Bush on some kind of Celebrity Stars in their Eyes.

Phil's guitar tech needs a rollicking for the tuning but on the whole I enjoyed it. Lemmy isn't quite the tour de force he used to be, but bearing in mind his age and state of health he put on a decent show. Great to hear a few early tracks like Metropolis. He looked very old and frail in the interview though - enough to make you wonder how many gigs he has left in him. He's still got great attitude.

Florence leaves me cold but I thought that Mark Ronson's set was good even though it's not my kind of thing

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1435409773' post='2808534']
I want to like Florence- she seems like a good person but my oh my...
Flat as you like with a vibrato like Feargal Sharkey on a jackhammer. Every time I looked up at the screen I kept imagining Sarah Ferguson doing a tribute to Kate Bush on some kind of Celebrity Stars in their Eyes.
[/quote]

If only there was a "like" button! I've watched her play a few times and I've yet to hear her sing even close to in tune. Like you say, I too want to like her as an artist because she does seem a very genuine person, but my god she makes a terrible racket on stage. The best description I've heard is "it sounds like someone released a flock of owls into a wind chime shop" :D

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1435419538' post='2808628']
Considering what's he's been through, I think Lem is doing pretty good for 69. He'll do it until he drops....probably a long time after most of us!
[/quote]

I should imagine it's Motorhead that keeps him going. Was pleased they played Over The Top, one of my fave riffs, just mahoosive!

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1435432562' post='2808797']
Man ace of spades was painfully slow
[/quote]

Any man that can play it that well after 35 years, and at 69....

I've seen the whole set, and I thought they were great. Loved it.

I'm watching the other acts, and to me, they're still the best thing I've seen. That's what made me play bass in the first place, and what makes me want to play a Ric in anger now.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1435432562' post='2808797']
Man ace of spades was painfully slow
[/quote]

I'm still trying to work out whether he was singing the lyrics to "Ace Of Spades" when Mikkey & Phil were doing the first half of Overkill because he was confused or as a joke.
I know he doesn't like playing "Ace" these days but does it for the fans expectations.