Why become a member? ×

How content are you with your basses?

Chiliwailer

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432464119' post='2781634']

You have a very short memory, then! ;)
Just in case anyone [i]really [/i]hasn't seen them... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260700-nobd-usa-fullerton-1976-precision-bass-audio/"]http://basschat.co.u...ion-bass-audio/[/url]
[/quote]

:)

I was a 5 but I must have slipped down to number 4 as I've ordered a super lightweight Paulownia P body to try on my Squier VM Precision V.
I do really love this Squier but I really need a lighter bass as my poor old discs are giving me a right load of gyp lately.
I've lightened my P in every way possible, got it down to 8 1/2lbs (doesn't help I started modding on one of the heavier ones I now realise)
Took a punt on one from eyguitars in China. Hopefully it'll show up!

So really, and only due to medical circumstances, I'm a 5/4. On a mission impossible..

Sorry😚

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1432500057' post='2782135']
So really, and only due to medical circumstances, I'm a 5/4. On a mission impossible..

Sorry😚
[/quote]

I totally get this mate. I was only saying earlier in a PM that I haven't clicked with any P Bass 100% since my old 1964 P bass was sold to go towards my flat deposit. Though it was not my favoured wood combo, it seriously worked for me, and not just because it was old, I've played plenty of average ones. Since then I've had a load of Precisons, some very lovely ones too, but none have clicked and mostly because of my medical issues and basses weight, size, or balance issues.

Enter Mike Lull, my first was a second hand one and it showed me that there is a way forward for me and as I keep repeating my new one, now having my preferred woods, makes me a 5 in theory, though I'm safer saying a 4 because even though it's 8lbs and has perfect balance, I may need to commission a 7.5lbs bass too. I'm just lucky I could sell some great gear to get a Lull, amazing basses. I now have less basses, but better suited ones to me.

Good luck with your mods :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1432500937' post='2782149']

I totally get this mate. I was only saying earlier in a PM that I haven't clicked with any P Bass 100% since my old 1964 P bass was sold to go towards my flat deposit. Though it was not my favoured wood combo, it seriously worked for me, and not just because it was old, I've played plenty of average ones. Since then I've had a load of Precisons, some very lovely ones too, but none have clicked and mostly because of my medical issues and basses weight, size, or balance issues.

Enter Mike Lull, my first was a second hand one and it showed me that there is a way forward for me and as I keep repeating my new one, now having my preferred woods, makes me a 5 in theory, though I'm safer saying a 4 because even though it's 8lbs and has perfect balance, I may need to commission a 7.5lbs bass too. I'm just lucky I could sell some great gear to get a Lull, amazing basses. I now have less basses, but better suited ones to me.

Good luck with your mods :)
[/quote]

Cheers mate 👍
Loving those Lulls! :)

Difficult to vote on this. I like what I've got but am considering releasing one of them into the wild as even though it's a great bass I just don't seem to play it any more. I don't really have GAS for any other basses either.

I've had my Wariwck for nearly 15 years and wouldn't change it for anything..

And I've had a Jazz in various guises since '98.. The current is probably the best passive bass I've ever owned so thats a keeper too!

Very happy with all my gear at the min! :D

I voted 3. GAS does strike, but only temporarily and for random object each time; few days later I don't even remember what it was. Got an active/passive Jazz 4 with maple; passive PJ 5 with rosewood and a fretless PJ 4. Very fond of each, the fretless is still growing on me as I've only had it for a month or so. I'm pretty much set, although a good old P wouldn't hurt.

I'm happy with my two Precisions. I've got one tuned to standard and one tuned to C# for my band. The build quality is excellent and I love the tone; my white one came with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder fitted but I took it out and fitted the original one so they're completely stock. They're as good as the U.S. Standard P that I had a few years back so I don't feel like I need to upgrade at all. I have a Peavey Foundation as well but I seldom use it as everything is covered by my Precisions and I don't need a bass with two pickups. I really should get round to selling it, I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

Sold a bunch of various basses recently and still have one for sale, a Tobias. Still have a Tobias that's been with me for quite some time. Recently acquired a Stingray and have an order for a Sandberg arriving sometime soon hopefully. Other than that, the only thing I have GAS for is Warwick. After that, I could consider myself pretty happy with what I have. All 5-strings except for the Stingray for those times when you only need 4.

Edited by Dregg

Option 3 seemed like the closest description to my current state of GAS. Currently I have no desire to buy another bass...that said, if I were to come into a large amount of money, I might be tempted to, say,
- Get a backup Thunderbird
- Get a genuine MIA Std Precision
- Upgrade to a sw***ier fretless
- Upgrade my cab(s)
- Try a few longer-scale 8-strings and see how they compare to my short-scale
or, ultimately
- commission the strange SG/T-bird hybrid that I've been mulling over for a while.

But ultimately, I'm more than happy with what I already have. Honest.

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Voted with the majority (option 4)...I've got some great basses but if the circumstances were different I'd be looking to swap/sell at least one for something I should never have sold..

Edited by TheGreek

I love my Shuker JJ, have no intention of getting rid of it, but I have a niggling itch to at least try a Rickenbacker. I seriously doubt it will beat the Shuker, but I can't help being curious, and the all-black versions I've seen look very, very appealing. However I'm not selling the Shuker to buy one, so it's not likely to happen. I also fancy a semi-acoustic, especially an Epiphone Jack Casady, and that might be doable one of these days.

Can I be a four and a half? I really don't feel like I need anything other than my Sandberg California JM4 to get me through any gig. The one caveat is that with some of the function work I'm doing lately I'm feeling (for the first time in my life) that a five string would be handy, mainly because of some of the daft key changes that get thrown at me. Aside from that, totally content. I love my bass!

I'm with [b]mike257 [/b]on this... The Sandberg will be with me 'til the day I die. We've not been through anything particularly remarkable together, but I don't think I have a more precious inanimate object. All the other stuff is thoroughly enjoyable, but in a happy state of gassy flux.

I've got a Vintage V940 fretless with the original active circuitry replaced with a passive circuit by BCs very own KiOgon, and it's perfect. It feels great, gives me the EXACT tone I want from a fretless and it looks lovely.

I've also got an Ibanez sr506. I bought it about a year and a half ago at great expense (by my standards) and, although I love the tone, I'm finding it very difficult to admit to myself that I'm not getting used to that super thin neck.
I knew when I got it that it felt a bit too thin but I assumed I would get used to it. If that was going to happen, it would've happened by now.

It makes me sad that I might have to sell it, after all the fuss of trying to get it in the first place, but ergonomics is no small matter with guitars.

edit: I voted for [b]#3[/b], by the way

Edited by alittlebitrobot

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1432432574' post='2781452']
I`ve now got the basses I both want and need. Sure there are many other basses I`d like, but I know I wouldn`t play them much, so it would be pointless having them.
[/quote]
I've reached this point also. 5 for me!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1433227566' post='2788983']

I've reached this point also. 5 for me!
[/quote]

Think I'm joining you and Lozz there.

I was originally a 4 for safety, but I can't see one reason why I'd need to change my Lull as its the perfect workhorse for me, and I'd only sell my Flea if I was skint ( looking more and more likely now, especially as I'm so into my Lull). I just sold a Jazz Bass as I can't justify so many basses these days, something has changed in the old brain and I feel better for it! :)

Edited by Chiliwailer