Why become a member? ×

Magic bass cupboard

Roland Rock

Here is all my amp gear, cased up. A 2x12 cab, 2000w power amp, preamp, pedalboard and valve amp.
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150510_105604_zpsufsuoqqr.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

So where can it be kept in a modest terraced house where space is at a premium? A house where Mrs RR dislikes clutter and kids run riot?

This is the cupboard under the stairs where with its many items; shoes, printer, coats, Henry etc. And behind that? ALL of the above gear. Noone can even see that behind all these everyday items is a huge stack of monsterous power, tucked away from spousal tuts and bousterous offspring

[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150510_110953_zpschngeutr.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150510_110651_zps3luasmmn.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Practice is unplugged, or if I'm feeling feisty, through the stereo.

Anyone else have a place that they can magically disappear their gear after a gig?

Edited by Roland Rock

Mine gets stacked up in our bedroom, i bring my basses in after a gig then back my van up against the house and leave everything in the van til the morning, the missus hates my stuff stacked up in the bedroom but if she'd get rid of some of her 200+ pairs of shoes and handbags to match my said gear would slip nicely in the bedroom cupboard .

My two 2x10"s lie on their backs in the middle of the sitting room. I have a sheet of toughened glass that fits over the top to make a centre-piece coffee table that any bass player would kill to have in their house.

Anyway back to the real world...

No.

PA gear goes in the garage (which is now full). Two 1x12 cabs are stacked just inside the non-opening side of the patio door and have a piece of carpet draped over them so the cat can use them as a vantage point. Amp, wireless, effects, small mixer all go under the coffee table.

Lights, stands and leads in the garage. Combo in the corner of the dining room (no complaints yet). Basses under the bed, in the spare room and one currently in the hall because I haven't found a home for it yet (again no complaints... yet!)

I too have comadered the cupboard under the stairs in our terrace house. It is completely rammed wirh my gear, the PA power amp and wireless mic case. Practice with my Tascam bass trainer and headphones.

Another cupboard-under-the-stairs job. I'm lucky in that I have the entire space at my disposal. I fitted a five-lever mortice lock for added security. All my gear goes in there whenever I'm out of the house. Apart from when I'm gigging, of course...

Edited by discreet

My big bass and guitar cabs live in the garage. I've got a few guitar combos around the house which cause no concern to Ms Doghouse at all. I don't mind her knitting and sewing things at all so she doesn't mind my gear, not to mention the guitars hanging on the walls around the house and basses in cases under the bed.

In one of the spare bedrooms there is a silverface Pro Reverb on one side of the bed and and old Peavey 112E cab on the other side as bedside tables :-) There's another Fender combo in the hallway which gets used mainly for putting the post on and her handbag. In our bedroom I have an old Peavey C30 combo for a bedside table. Oh yes, I forgot about the old AC30 and Marshall combo in the pantry and bass practice amp in the back room.

I think I'm very lucky :-)

I've actually started to use our rehearsal place's "free storage" [i]( unused room without carpet and soundproofing thats too small to use as a rehearsal space) [/i]for my trace 715 purely because lugging it in and out of the car boot was becoming an annoyance It's free and i feel fairly safe about leaving it there because its by far once of the cheapest rigs in the store room , lots of fancy JCM's and mesa guitar kitkeeping it warm overnight to attract prying hands.

At home I've got a Behringer 120 watt Alu coned kickback that does me fine for home practice it lives underneath my pc desk in our office net to the tower. I wonder if i'm going mad sometimes as the sound that comes out of it is rather pleasing and very clean and leaves me feeling a bit underwhealmed by the boom out of the trace.

My gear lives in the dining room. Two basses, both cased stand in one corner at the end of the side board thingy. My Fender combo, box of leads and effects pedal sit next to the blanket box near the end of the stairs.
It takes up very little space so not an issue

There are a couple of small combos under the stairs which I'm trying to get rid of (the combos not the stairs)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1431335925' post='2770026']
There are a couple of small combos under the stairs which I'm trying to get rid of (the combos not the stairs)
[/quote]

Aww! I had a delightful vision of your family all learning to hover in mid-air. :happy:

Another 'cupboard under the stairs storage solution' here. With room for 2 pairs of shoes on a shelf near the top, so not entirely wasted. I have a wheeled dolly thingumie that means I don't put my back out when reaching into the far reaches, which is handy.

All my performing gear (sans basses) is on the band trailer at the drummer's house -- no, you can't have his address. lol I've got the rest of my keys, drums and guitars set up in the "music room" which is what my kids named it (while creating it!) a few Christmases ago. :-)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1431378793' post='2770779']

Me too..."Do as you like Gang" means that I put my gear where I want...
[/quote]

Yep me too. I think my (two) basses enhance the look of my living room and blend in quite nicely with the colour scheme. The combo in the hall is bit of an obstruction though.

I added a band cupboard to the design of our new house extension we had done last year - big enough for double bass, cabs, guitars, two huge boxes of cables and recording stuff. :thank_you:

Now also home to various old duvets, games, suitcases and cat boxes :sad:

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1431424352' post='2771064']
...Now also home to various old duvets, games, suitcases and cat boxes :sad:
[/quote]

Ha! That's how it happens. How many garages in this country are used to keep a car in? Most are full of junk, especially if there is no attic or basement space. New houses that come with a garage often are too small to keep any kind of car in - they're just crap-huts built very cheaply so that the house can be sold 'with garage' and the price bumped up accordingly.

My old mum and dad moved to a new-build house and my dad made much of the fact that the house came with a garage - he could get his car in there (VW Golf) no problem, but the garage wasn't wide enough to open the driver's door to get out! So the car lives on the drive and the garage is full of junk...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431425655' post='2771092']
Ha! That's how it happens. How many garages in this country are used to keep a car in? Most are full of junk, especially if there is no attic or basement space. New houses that come with a garage often are too small to keep any kind of car in - they're just crap-huts built very cheaply so that the house can be sold 'with garage' and the price bumped up accordingly.

My old mum and dad moved to a new-build house and my dad made much of the fact that the house came with a garage - he could get his car in there (VW Golf) no problem, but the garage wasn't wide enough to open the driver's door to get out! So the car lives on the drive and the garage is full of junk...
[/quote]

The last time I lived in a house with a garage the car insurance company wanted to charge a higher premium for parking it in the garage than for leaving it on the drive. So strangely enough we parked the car on the drive and just used the garage for storage :secret: