Why become a member? ×

Cover bands - One bass solution

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1430052501' post='2757448']
1 bass, plectrum, fingers, tone control and move hand about. 2756 different bass sounds.
[/quote]

Pretty much what I did in a covers band.
Only I didn't use the tone control or move hand about, so I only got 1653 different sounds. :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1430045722' post='2757342']
I currently play in a three piece cover band and I try, where possible, to emulate the tone of the bass in the original recording. As you can imagine, this is quite a challenge with one amp and one bass when you're trying to emulate everything from a deep reggae tone for 'I Shot The Sheriff' through Nathan East's polished tones on Clapton's 'Old Love' to Paul Simonon's aggressive gnarly P-bass on London's Calling. I'd be interested to hear what other players in a similar situation do. Do you adopt the 'this is my bass tone, take it or leave it' attitude or do you try to adjust your tone to suit the song? Do you take more than one bass?

Thanks
[/quote]

I personally would not bother with that, but use a bass that covers the usual bases reasonably well. Like a Jazz or a G&L L2000.
If I really really wanted to do my best at replicating the tone in a covers band situation, I'd look at a Line6 Variax, or at a way to transplant its guts into a bass I like to use better.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1430056532' post='2757511']
You need a Yamaha BB bass , Mojo.......😉 !!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah.....don't I know it :lol:

Just me and my bass..I don't want FX so I cover everything with the bass.
I don't mess with the amp EQ either...once it has the sound I don't touch it
altho I might adjust the volume.

I have a GT10-B but I not even plugged it in for months.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430056914' post='2757519']
altho I might adjust the volume.[/quote]

+1.

Any bass with a Roland VB99 , I've had mine about a month and it's still amazing in a cover band situation, FX, Bass Models, Synths,Amp Models,Double bass,drop D ect and you can bypass anytime for just your bass. The Chillipeper patch is great with a 3 piece band it gives you bass/guitar in one patch much much better than a Fishman Fission.

In all seriousness I mostly use the BB on front pup fingerstyle for most rock songs, for the punky stuff front pup with pick, for more modern and metal stuff both pups, andpick, for our one funky tune, back pupand fingers. TBH our set is 90% rockers though, so maybe an unfair comparison due to our lack of genres. Doubt anyone in the audience has ever noticed though!!!

I've got really into emulating sounds , but it's all in the effects and amp

Covered a wide range of sounds and styles this weekend at a gig , but all on a P bass

Could could have used any of my basses really, a bass with a bridge J type pup might have helped a little on some sounds , but otherwise choice of bass is less important than amps and effects

Edited by lojo

We play in two different tunings, which means we carry two guitars each to the gig, but I find a simple tweak of the tone knob gives me a close enough tone plus the fingers/pick mix does the rest

I switch between a Stag EUB and one bass for one band, one bass for second band. I always take a second as back up but never use it. Third band not yet gigging - still one bass but I am having to use effects a little bit. Difficult to get a Muse 'Uprising' sound by changing playing position... :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430056914' post='2757519']
altho I might adjust the volume.
[/quote]

Same here. Why would you try to replicate the original bass tone?! Unless you are playing in a quality tribute act, no one will notice.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1430047398' post='2757366']
Do you alter the EQ depending on the song?
[/quote]

I do, I find the J-Retro is quite versatile although I have two favourite settings which equate to ' smooth and warm ' and ' disco ' which cover most of the songs in our set. Same as JTUK above, I don't use pedals and I try not to fiddle with my amp settings once I have soundchecked.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1430067995' post='2757673']
Same here. Why would you try to replicate the original bass tone?! Unless you are playing in a quality tribute act, no one will notice.
[/quote]

I don't play in their style either,...unless it is someone like Andy Fraser when I'll try and give it a bit of a nod to him, but
he was an influence anyway, so I don't have to step over too far...

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1430067995' post='2757673']

[/quote]

I'm starting to ask myself the same question. It wouls appear the majority go with the 'this is my tone' approach. I may have to try adopting the same attitude and see how it goes.

When I was depping I used a Precision bass that also had a Jazz pickup. Selecting a combination of the P/J pickups, or each of them singly, plus playing either with a pick of fingers got me near enough on most of the songs without needing to make any eq changes on the amp. Agree with Molans post here, 5 string P/J bass, with on-board actives, you`ll get near enough there.

For me, whilst not trying to get the original tone completely, it`s one of those things that if I can a good approximation, why not. We were doing Zombie by The Cranberries - as I had a J Bridge pickup why wouldn`t I use it to get nearer to the tone of the song than just using the regular P pickup? Sure the audience aren`t likely to notice anyway, but if what I`m playing sounds right then I`m going to enjoy the gig more.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430069856' post='2757705']
When I was depping I used a Precision bass that also had a Jazz pickup. Selecting a combination of the P/J pickups, or each of them singly, plus playing either with a pick of fingers got me near enough on most of the songs without needing to make any eq changes on the amp. Agree with Molans post here, 5 string P/J bass, with on-board actives, you`ll get near enough there.

For me, whilst not trying to get the original tone completely, it`s one of those things that if I can a good approximation, why not. We were doing Zombie by The Cranberries - as I had a J Bridge pickup why wouldn`t I use it to get nearer to the tone of the song than just using the regular P pickup? Sure the audience aren`t likely to notice anyway, but if what I`m playing sounds right then I`m going to enjoy the gig more.
[/quote]

This is what I'm trying to achieve. A tone that suits the genre rather than trying to get the authentic tone of the original recording. Does anyone produce a 5 string P/J with switchable active/passive?

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1430071411' post='2757726']
This is what I'm trying to achieve. A tone that suits the genre rather than trying to get the authentic tone of the original recording. Does anyone produce a 5 string P/J with switchable active/passive?
[/quote]

I would guess Warwick have such a thing. Easy solution is to find a 5 string bass P J configuration that you like and then add suitable pre-amp.

We have not yet factored the room acoustics yet, if you are lucky they help or as is often the case, somewhat nullify any tonal subtleties :(. Then we have sound absorption units aka audience to factor in as well.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1430071411' post='2757726']

[/quote]Sandberg also spring to mind, the positioning of their MM pickups make them sound more like steroid fuelled J pickups http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top/basicvm

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1430075713' post='2757781']
Sandberg also spring to mind, the positioning of their MM pickups make them sound more like steroid fuelled J pickups http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top/basicvm
[/quote]

True, my VM4 is very flexible indeed.