Why become a member? ×

Cover bands - One bass solution

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430472214' post='2761684']
Very true, it didn't take off at all. I wonder whether that was because it was no good, or because people didn't like the look of it. As Ubit says, he wouldn't even consider one because of the aesthetics.
[/quote]

I had a Westone Rail for a while. As a means of demonstrating just how massively important pickup position is to tone, it was very impressive indeed.

However, it remained a cheap bass with cheap pickups, and it sounded cheap. I did some research at the time and it was clear to me that Westone designed it more-or-less as a novelty item and were quite surprised by even the limited amount of success it enjoyed.

I for one would love to try the same design but done "seriously" ... i.e. with good-quality components (especially the electronics) and using proper double-ball-end strings.

Can't comment on the Grabber except to mention its legendary shoulder-crushing weight.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1430494739' post='2762058']

I for one would love to try the same design but done "seriously" ... i.e. with good-quality components (especially the electronics) and using proper double-ball-end strings.

[/quote]

This is why I'm intreagued by the W&T one; if anyone can do it properly, Enrico can ☺

I actually agree with Discreet; I know I would just find the sweet spot for me then leave it there for good.
I read the OP question as a quest for the most versatile bass (ie the one with most different tones, rather than one universal one) and the variable pickup bass sprung to mind, not least because I've been perving over the used one for sale at Bass Gear. It's a slightly clunkier looking prototype compared to the final version, but I like the semi-steampunk feel. http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/wt-custom-single-cut-5/
http://youtu.be/1jfcZHu6_GQ

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430495355' post='2762073']

This is why I'm intreagued by the W&T one; if anyone can do it properly, Enrico can ☺

I actually agree with Discreet; I know I would just find the sweet spot for me then leave it there for good.
I read the OP question as a quest for the most versatile bass (ie the one with most different tones, rather than one universal one) and the variable pickup bass sprung to mind, not least because I've been perving over the used one for sale at Bass Gear. It's a slightly clunkier looking prototype compared to the final version, but I like the semi-steampunk feel. http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/wt-custom-single-cut-5/
http://youtu.be/1jfcZHu6_GQ

[/quote]

I haven't watched that clip because I can see from the thumbnail that he's slapping! Why do people demo basses by slapping? It annoys the pants off me. I want to hear the tone of the bass. Hrumph! :(

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1430504774' post='2762177']
I haven't watched that clip because I can see from the thumbnail that he's slapping! Why do people demo basses by slapping? It annoys the pants off me. I want to hear the tone of the bass. Hrumph! :(
[/quote]

Well of course I had to play it - he does do a fair bit of fingerstyle in the vid to be fair. :)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1430504774' post='2762177']
[/quote]

Well, he hasn't really got it down anyway in the video...but his finger work is worth a listen...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1430480364' post='2761813']
To much choice is a bad thing, as I found out when I was in the duty free trying to decide between very large bottles of Gin or Tequila and almost missed my flight.

If you discount pedals, the many tones of JJ Burnel, James Jamerson, Pino, John McVie or any other top bass player makes a very short list.

My take on basses is get the best sounding one you can afford and be happy that you sound good. The people who matter [u]will[/u] notice.

PS
If you sound good and you play well, everyone will be happy you sound like you.
[/quote]
Word...!

Pick one decent bass sound that works with the type of stuff you do and concentrate on your playing...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430495355' post='2762073']
[/quote]

I'm not entirely convinced about that. The W&T headstock is a disaster. I've concluded that the reason that the 5-strings are mostly strung E-C is that if you put a low B string on, the bottom tuner pushes it so far in towards the E string that when it runs over the nut, it's 50/50 whether it will encounter the first fret or fall off the edge of the fretboard. The E and A strings have huge sideways angles as they pass through the nut. Lovely necks, nice sound, but the obvious lack of thought in something as fundamental as a headstock does make me wonder whether they actually would be able to do a sliding pickup properly.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430514794' post='2762309']

Well, he hasn't really got it down anyway in the video...but his finger work is worth a listen...
[/quote]

Yeah, it's just that I get so cheesed off with YouTube players who demo basses by slapping on them. I admit, it tends to make me turn off. I'm sure this guy can play. I'll give it a listen after all :)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430528279' post='2762407']

I'm not entirely convinced about that. The W&T headstock is a disaster. I've concluded that the reason that the 5-strings are mostly strung E-C is that if you put a low B string on, the bottom tuner pushes it so far in towards the E string that when it runs over the nut, it's 50/50 whether it will encounter the first fret or fall off the edge of the fretboard. The E and A strings have huge sideways angles as they pass through the nut. Lovely necks, nice sound, but the obvious lack of thought in something as fundamental as a headstock does make me wonder whether they actually would be able to do a sliding pickup properly.
[/quote]

I've seen you write this before - is this based on one/more you've tried/owned? I've played two W&T 5 strings (both B-G) and no such issues.

You're welcome to try mine at the bass bash and see if you encounter the same problem ☺

Edit: just looked at the range, and it seems that the bigger headstocks with angled strings apply to the Zoid and Chronos models, but not to the EJ or Ergon models. I'd be interested to try a Chronos to see if I encounter the same problem. The Zoid body is a bit too radical for me 😁

Here's the Ergon one:
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/17E8D38C-A8CF-42A6-A834-99CFE741C94F_zpsyiwum7gw.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

I play a Music Man Bongo 5 HH as my main bass. With the PU blend and the 4-Band EQ I can do almost all the sounds needed in my Top 40 band. In addition I bring a second bass to the gigs just because I like to play it (a StingRay or BigAl). I pick them where I think they are approptiate for the tune. In addition I am using a pedalboard to spice up the tone a little bit (Valve Drive, Octaver, Chorus, Envelope Filter).

So much for the theory. However, what I have learned is that not even my band mates do care whether I play E,W&F's "September" with a kind of disco Stingray Sound or the neck humbucker of the Bongo. And on stage I can not even hear the difference between my fancy Soundblox Orbital Mod. Chorus and one of the Chorus-patches on my Zoom B3 myself.

So I more or less tend to have my "signature" sound, perhaps a little tweaked towards the original tune and try to have as much fun as I can with my basses. Finally I assume it's more about the groove and tight playing that gets people to dance then the authenticity of the bass sound in a cover band.

I use whatever I take to the gig and just twiddle the knobs and switches on the bass and use a pick but fingers and thumbs come out as well when needed.Most of it comes from both hands though through muting/damping,dynamics,where you pluck and that stuff,feeling where to place that note before you get to strings ,amps,cabs,type of wood and all that blah blah.
Just get a bass that feels good in the hand and sounds good and roll with it

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430469309' post='2761630']
I think you can tell from the astonishing success of the Westone Rail and the Gibson Grabber just how much this feature has caught the imagination of bassists the world over.
[/quote]
Quite a few manufacturers have had a go. Alembic did it back in the early 70's, Spalt have a sliding pickup and Bob Daisley developed a bass with sliding individual coils per string.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430546692' post='2762431']
I've seen you write this before - is this based on one/more you've tried/owned? I've played two W&T 5 strings (both B-G) and no such issues.

You're welcome to try mine at the bass bash and see if you encounter the same problem ☺
[/quote]

Ones I've tried - the first I tried was IIRC mcgraham's, strung E-C, which I thought had a lovely neck, then later I encountered a couple strung B-G and they had the B string either at or off the end of the first fret. Can't remember which models.

[quote name='Meypelnek' timestamp='1430548619' post='2762439']
I assume it's more about the groove and tight playing that gets people to dance then the authenticity of the bass sound in a cover band.
[/quote]

+1

If you're playing any style of music to an audience, that's all it's about.

I've been rehearsing new set lists and it's become apparent that I have to use a five string, so with that I've got a choice of three electric and one acoustic bass.

My main two are active, 35" scale one has two humbuckers and a graphite neck and one has a two humbuckers and a piezo with a through neck.

They both have the ability to sound like most basses and the synth like lows are dealt with by decent low B strings.

There will always be time to drop the precision in though, as we're adding more 60's stuff in.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1430559065' post='2762547']
Quite a few manufacturers have had a go. Alembic did it back in the early 70's, Spalt have a sliding pickup and Bob Daisley developed a bass with sliding individual coils per string.
[/quote]

Looking again at the W&T one, they do seem to have realised the weakness of other sliding pickup basses that just have one pickup, and put in one fixed and one sliding one, which has the potential to give the more complex sound that you get from some twin pickup basses. Still don't like the headstock though, perhaps they'll do a headless.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430580124' post='2762822']

Still don't like the headstock though, perhaps they'll do a headless.
[/quote]

Argh! That's another one of my pet hates :(

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1430647733' post='2763268']
Sometimes I use one bass to play ahead of the beat, and a different one to play behind it. :yarr:
[/quote]

Yes, I notice you've yet to buy a bass with which to play ON the beat. :D

Guest MoJo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430648751' post='2763289']

Yes, I notice you've yet to buy a bass with which to play ON the beat. :D
[/quote]

:lol:

Good thread this! :)

I think a lot of what gets you close to the right tone for a song comes more from how you physically play the bass line itself, as opposed to the particular bass you're using, or amp e.q., fx etc..

For example, the verse bass line in Lenny Kravitz's 'Fly Away' is slapped, and playing it like that gives you the sound required for the song at that point.. Switch to finger-style playing for the chorus and the sound immediately changes to what's required at that point in the song.

So, in that example, those two changes of playing style have the most immediate impact on the sound IMO.

Which means that, in theory, one well set up bass (that you enjoy playing) with fairly new strings and a good amp/cab should do the trick provided you approach playing the bass line for the song in the right way..

But having said all of that; have I ever managed to take just one bass to a gig in the last 9 years?

No.

Have I changed basses, amps, cabs, fx pedals countless times in the last 9 years?

Yes.

I guess I could have got by with gigging just the one bass over the years, but it's been so much fun experimenting with different gear set ups etc, etc, that I wouldn't change it for anything! :)

Mind you, I pretty much use just one bass all the time these days; a Yamaha BB300 that I got here on BC recently. Cheap as chips, relatively speaking, but it works so well on so many types of music, it's perfect...

Almost! :D

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1430769432' post='2764464']
I think a lot of what gets you close to the right tone for a song comes more from how you physically play the bass line itself, as opposed to the particular bass you're using, or amp e.q., fx etc...
[/quote]

I'd go along with that. 'It's in the fingers' is a cliche for sure, but like a lot of cliches there's some truth in it.

Jazz bass first or Rick 4003, which despite people thinking it only has one sound of clank and distortion, if you plug it straight in the amp can go reggae to finger style on one switch, however the Jazz bass can do the same but slaps better.