Why become a member? ×

Cover bands - One bass solution

Guest MoJo

Have to say that on reflection the only bass I can say with all honesty me the 'one bass' criterion - although of course I'd prefer to say it was a Precision - was a Jazz fitted with a J-Retro. For some reason it worked better than a Sadowsky P/J although you'd have thought the latter would cover all basses so to speak.

Nik is spot on above, as is the post re the 4003, it's as much about how you play what you've got as it is what you've got.

C

Sadowsky NYC J bass covers it all for me. Lots of possibilities tone wise thanks to the superb preamp, VTC, and pickup pan.This,together with varying the position of my picking hand anywhere between the butt of the neck and bridge, covers everything I need.

Edited by leroydiamond

I have 3 basses but for the last 4 years I've only gigged the P bass.

After reading this thread I decided to take the other 2 instruments to play on the gig. They lasted until about half way through the sound check, then they were put away and the P bass was taken out of its case.

I've proved it to my satisfaction, I do have [i]the[/i] one bass solution.

I guess I now have 2 basses for sale!

Guest MoJo

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1430848667' post='2765213']
I have 3 basses but for the last 4 years I've only gigged the P bass.

After reading this thread I decided to take the other 2 instruments to play on the gig. They lasted until about half way through the sound check, then they were put away and the P bass was taken out of its case.

I've proved it to my satisfaction, I do have [i]the[/i] one bass solution.

I guess I now have 2 basses for sale!
[/quote]

You're doing nothing to help cure the P bass GAS I appear to be developing

Precision bass does it for me - tone down and use fingers for blues/soul/rock-and-roll stuff, tone up and/or use a pick for pop/rock and more twangy stuff.

Maybe add a pedal which does drive and eq if you want to get really fancy :D

Guest MoJo

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1430861429' post='2765440']
Precision bass does it for me - tone down and use fingers for blues/soul/rock-and-roll stuff, tone up and/or use a pick for pop/rock and more twangy stuff.

Maybe add a pedal which does drive and eq if you want to get really fancy :D
[/quote]

Right! The next person to mention 'P-bass' has to explain to my wife why I need one because she won't believe me

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1430861588' post='2765443']
Right! The next person to mention 'P-bass' has to explain to my wife why I need one because she won't believe me
[/quote]

Dear Mrs Mojo: It's essential that Mojo has a P-Bass in his collection. This is because the P-Bass has been fundamental to popular music since 1951, when it first came into production. It was improved slightly in 1957, but since then it has remained unchanged, largely because it's great just the way it is. I bet all the pop and rock tunes that were the soundtrack to your youth, and that take you instantly back there when you hear them, had their bass lines played on a P-Bass. You already know 'that' sound, it's probably deep within your psyche.

Every bass player NEEDS a P-Bass - without one, he or she becomes sad, listless and a figure of fun to other bass players. There are those among us (myself included) who are of the opinion that a P-Bass is the one and only bass that any player ever needs. It is all things to all players, the One Bass, the Fundament, the 'IT'.

To deprive him of one would not only be harsh, it would be unnecessarily cruel and heartless. And if you allowed him to get one, just think of all the little favours he'll have to do for you, all the shoes he'll have to buy for you! It would be crazy not to, frankly. :)

Best regards
discreet

Edited by discreet

Thinking about it the one sound that eludes me from bass, regardless of playing style or how I set settings , is new bright rounds can't give the warn in flats sound , and warn in flats can't do new rounds.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430873241' post='2765511']

Dear Mrs Mojo: It's essential that Mojo has a P-Bass in his collection. This is because the P-Bass has been fundamental to popular music since 1951, when it first came into production. It was improved slightly in 1957, but since then it has remained unchanged, largely because it's great just the way it is. I bet all the pop and rock tunes that were the soundtrack to your youth, and that take you instantly back there when you hear them, had their bass lines played on a P-Bass. You already know 'that' sound, it's probably deep within your psyche.

Every bass player NEEDS a P-Bass - without one, he or she becomes sad, listless and a figure of fun to other bass players. There are those among us (myself included) who are of the opinion that a P-Bass is the one and only bass that any player ever needs. It is all things to all players, the One Bass, the Fundament, the 'IT'.

To deprive him of one would not only be harsh, it would be unnecessarily cruel and heartless. And if you allowed him to get one, just think of all the little favours he'll have to do for you, all the shoes he'll have to buy for you! It would be crazy not to, frankly. :)

Best regards
discreet
[/quote]

Love it

I only owned/used one bass (old MM Stingray) and one amp (old Fender Bassman 135) for over 20 years in numerous different bands/musical-situations and it taught me to get different sounds of the bass with fingers, slaps/pops, plectrum, palm muting, etc. I played with fingers most of the time and even just the angle of attack of finger to string could make a huge difference in sound. So I reckon one good bass (as long as it's not a Ric!) and one good amp plus some worn-in fingers should do the trick in any situation.

I have 14 basses and without fail, every time we gig, I think right, I'm going to use different ones this time and always it gets right up to packing the car and it's the P bass and the J bass that come ( two tunings for rockier stuff and traditional)
It never fails. The woody inactive sounds are just perfect!

Used to gig just a US Jazz, last couple of years it's been a US P. I thought about getting the Ric out of early retirement for the new project but the singer can't stand the sound of them apparently so I guess I'll be sticking with the P. If we play a pub with enough floor space I might bring the jazz out as backup, not taken a 2nd bass to a gig for years.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1430927594' post='2766061']
Used to gig just a US Jazz, last couple of years it's been a US P. I thought about getting the Ric out of early retirement for the new project but the singer can't stand the sound of them apparently so I guess I'll be sticking with the P. If we play a pub with enough floor space I might bring the jazz out as backup, not taken a 2nd bass to a gig for years.
[/quote]

A pub singer had better be flipping good if they are making judgement on what bass you can play

I find I can play pretty much any gig with my Sandberg JM4. J and (tapable) MM pickups, two band active preamp that can be bypassed if you want to go old school.

I don't tend to fiddle much during a gig though. I'll usually dial in a sound that broadly suits the whole set and change playing style for different tones. Might roll the pickup blend about a bit but that's about the extent of it.

Guest bassman7755

I've played in blues bands, a commitments style soul band, classic rock bands and bit-of-everything pup bands, so everything from tears of a clown to enter sandman all using pretty much the same bass/amp/settings.

As far as I'm concerned faffing around with different instruments/amps/effects is something guitarists do while we bassists just get on with playing B)

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1430046873' post='2757359']
I take 3 basses with me for doing the KB stuff - and that's just one artist (tribute), a P strung with ancient flats, a J strung with fresh and tight rounds, and a fretless.

Id love to be able to do it all on just one bass, but its just not possible for the range of tones I need to emulate. One day id liketo try an upright too :)
[/quote]
Well, it just so happens...
But would you want to use it with CB?