Why become a member? ×

Cover bands - One bass solution

Guest MoJo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430388872' post='2760876']
And why would they? Rock 'n' Roll wasn't about technical ability or sound quality, it was about the visceral joy of primal rhythms and abandoning oneself to them, preferably groping a bird with giant bangers while being off your head on floor polish, or something. The means of production and the drugs may have changed, but the basic premise is the same. :)
[/quote]

Those were the days - stockings, suspenders and Babycham for the wimmin; Woobines, Mild and Bitter, Y-fronts for the lads.
Hofner Professional Bass, a Selmer combo jobbie and off we jolly well went.
What fun we had pushing the Dormobile van home after the gig. ;)
Did we care? Did we Farc! :P

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430396110' post='2760981']They're basses, they all sound the same.
[/quote]Sssshhhhh! You don't want to get the membership all riled up or let our other halves know we've been lying all these years!

I'm with the 'concentrate on what you are playing and don't worry about the tone' camp. At most you'll need two or three tones in an evening. Audiences won't worry about your tone but if they are up dancing they won't want to wait whilst you and the guitarists change instrument and eq after every number. If you must then I'd go for something programmable so you can change tone for each song with one click and set it up at home.

I use an American Deluxe P bass for gigs, just the P pup for most songs but with a bit of bridge dialed in for some songs. Having the tones on the bass helps tweaking without diverting my attention from the audience or the rest of the band.

I'd say the second pup is useful for varying tone, so if you are looking for a one bass solution then whether P/J, P/bucker, twin soapbar or whatever I'd look for somethign with bridge and neck pups. I prefer a master volume/blend for live work as it helps make adjustments quickly but TBH its the last thing on my mind once the audience is there.

One bass, two humbucking pickups with coil splits for single coil and parallel settings. Tweak the pickup pan and roll the treble off if you need to but keep the mids and bass constant or you'll get dirty looks from the soundman.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430419119' post='2761305']
I'd be tempted to look into the variable position (sliding) pickup basses that Wood & Tronics do. I'd love to try one to determine whether it's game-changingly versatile, or just a bit gimmicky.
[/quote]

It wouldn't matter to me if one of those had an amazing sound. They look horrible, so I would never consider using one. I think guitars have got to look cool, and a big slider up the middle would spoil it for me!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1430455343' post='2761547']

It wouldn't matter to me if one of those had an amazing sound. They look horrible, so I would never consider using one. I think guitars have got to look cool, and a big slider up the middle would spoil it for me!
[/quote]

Haha, yeah. They have refined it as much as possible, but still it's a big block!

[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/Gal228_337_zpsv57jmzwo.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Fender Jazz Bass, full volume on both pickups, tone control on full treble, DI though PA and vary the tone by how you play. Simple and foolproof. Anything more is just gimmicks for gimmicks' sake.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430419119' post='2761305']
I'd be tempted to look into the variable position (sliding) pickup basses that Wood & Tronics do. I'd love to try one to determine whether it's game-changingly versatile, or just a bit gimmicky.
[/quote]

I think you can tell from the astonishing success of the Westone Rail and the Gibson Grabber just how much this feature has caught the imagination of bassists the world over.

Both the 4- and 5-string basses are P/J style and yes I change the blend of pickups and very little changes on the tone. I vary from (mostly) finger style to plectrum and I get some tonal changes with some pedals - which I use judiciously. (Though the new Aguilar Octamizer is just so tempting!). I also move my plucking hand between bridge and neck to get some tonal changes.

The big question is does anyone notice? Well I do and it builds my confidence to think about it, plan and execute it. I have a friend who plays in another local band and says he loves my tone and wishes his bassist would have a bit more punch.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430469309' post='2761630']

I think you can tell from the astonishing success of the Westone Rail and the Gibson Grabber just how much this feature has caught the imagination of bassists the world over.
[/quote]

Very true, it didn't take off at all. I wonder whether that was because it was no good, or because people didn't like the look of it. As Ubit says, he wouldn't even consider one because of the aesthetics.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1430472214' post='2761684']
Very true, it didn't take off at all. I wonder whether that was because it was no good, or because people didn't like the look of it.
[/quote]

Maybe because people would always be thinking about where to position the pickup... is it too near the bridge or the neck? Would it sound better just a couple of mil in either direction? Some people don't like extensive on-board multi-frequency tone circuits because they find themselves constantly fiddling with the EQ instead of concentrating on playing. One of the many advantages of a P-Bass is that you don't have to think about it.

The other possibility is that you would find a position you liked and just leave it there, which begs the question, 'why have adjustable pickups in the first place..?' Something like that, anyway. :)

Yeah, no offence to anyone who owns one, I just think they are 'orrible. The brilliant Guy Pratt came out with a horrendous looking rail pup bass a while back, and whilst it might sound awesome, it looked fugly!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1430473760' post='2761711']
Nobody cares about the bass player apart from other bass players, so I don't bother messing around with knobs all the time.
[/quote]

Are you saying that other bass players are knobs?? :lol:

Edit: If so, you're probably right... :mellow:

Edited by discreet

I have 2/3 tones that I use through the gig on my Tanglewater in to the TC.
1- Standard rock tone for most of the songs = P pickup on, tone up full, Hartke bass Attack on- classic rock tone
2- Same but tone rolled off on the bass and PJ blended for more thumpy 60s stuff like Bowie
3 - P pickup, tone-up, Shape control on the Harkte on, for all out gritty Guns/Maiden songs.

I play about 50/50 pick vs finger style.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1430476616' post='2761750']
[/quote]

That's a key point - if you're not proficient with both then you're missing out on a large range of 'tones', imho.

To much choice is a bad thing, as I found out when I was in the duty free trying to decide between very large bottles of Gin or Tequila and almost missed my flight.

If you discount pedals, the many tones of JJ Burnel, James Jamerson, Pino, John McVie or any other top bass player makes a very short list.

My take on basses is get the best sounding one you can afford and be happy that you sound good. The people who matter [u]will[/u] notice.

PS
If you sound good and you play well, everyone will be happy you sound like you.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1430476616' post='2761750']
I have 2/3 tones that I use through the gig on my Tanglewater in to the TC.
1- Standard rock tone for most of the songs = P pickup on, tone up full, Hartke bass Attack on- classic rock tone
2- Same but tone rolled off on the bass and PJ blended for more thumpy 60s stuff like Bowie
3 - P pickup, tone-up, Shape control on the Harkte on, for all out gritty Guns/Maiden songs.

[/quote]

Hartke Bass Attack is the best pedal in the world! Won't play my bass without it!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1430490035' post='2761980']
Hartke Bass Attack is the best pedal in the world! Won't play my bass without it!
[/quote]

I agree - although I never really got much use out of the shape knob, and I still use a G3 for some things (and a behringer synth pedal for one song).

I totally get the just play and don't worry nobody cares approach , but I'm now in a period of really getting into emulation.

Last gig I used amp modelling to get a great tube tone, played songs with a heavy chorus, 2 types of synth bass and a nice clean pop tone. I think it did get noticed, if only by other musicians (there was dancing which would have happened anyway)

But it makes a big difference to me, I get a buzz out of it.

As I've said before it's more about amp and effects than the bass.