Why become a member? ×

Truss rod - Did he just do that?

Drax

Vintage truss rod adjustment.

It's the official Fender guy but looks like a real cowboy job. Does anyone actually do it like this?

(from 4mins - not for the faint hearted)

[media]http://youtu.be/qKtlsps4SqY[/media]

Edited by Drax

Yup, I don't have the appropriate shaped spanner for my Yamaha BB450 and I did the truss rod like that by loosening (but not removing) the neck screws then angling the neck to provide access for a regular socket and wrench. Couldn't be bothered removing the strings and the neck entirely, already did that for the washer trick for the maxed out rod.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1428711580' post='2744064']
Why a cowboy job? I wouldn't have an issue doing that. It looks like someone who is familiar with doing it.
[/quote]

Shoving the neck back in and yanking it out can cause paint splitting etc - just because he's done it 500 times that way, time 501 might be a priceless (expensive) 1960's Jazz and it could go wrong.

I always work on other people's gear like it's their pride and joy even if it's a £120 Squier. My gear is my business, but the epiphone t-bird might be the dream bass of the person I'm fixing it for.

I've worked on Wals, sadowskys, 1960's/70's fenders and £10,000 Gibson Tom Murphy aged Les Pauls - the kid with the stagg strat got the same setup, fret polish everything.

Just because he's a CS guy surrounded by the gear, doesn't make it worthless and from a brand image thing, he's undersold it a fair bit by manhandling that bass.

I know that probably seems a bit OTT.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1428712289' post='2744069']

I know that probably seems a bit OTT.
[/quote]

Nah, call it passionate! Your argument is solid and from a professional point of view definitely not the most caring way to do it. I'd be happy to do it that way on my own basses though if I'm in a hurry, but only ones already knocked up cos as you say, the neck pocket edges can be weak spots for paint. And I wonder what it does to the screw holes in the neck too if done repeatedly?

Did he really say "I have fun wrangling it this way"??? Says it all really.
J
What was more painful for me is that I had one of those basses and sold it to Beedster as I needed the cash and couldn't justify owning it at the time :(

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1429034991' post='2747266']
That's the method quoted in The Haynes Fender Bass Manual (by Andy Gibson) with loosened strings. Although he said he "does not do this in front of a client - it looks horrendous"
[/quote]
I do find it slightly ironic that a book about Fender was written by a Mr Gibson :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1429096977' post='2747888']
I've done it that way but always loosen the strings first.
[/quote]

Seems there's quite a few people comfortable doing it that way, so can't all be bad. Difference I guess between what you're comfortable with doing on your own bass, vs someone elses.

You have to be careful doing that on a '57 P with the anodized guard, it can be a snug fit and angling the neck like that could scratch the finish on the side of the neck. Speaking from experience - but it was a Road Worn P so it kinda didn't matter!

How do you do this without risk of damaging the finish? I'm not sure how you're supposed to get at the truss screw without pulling the neck from the heel?

I loosen the strings when I do this to make sure I don't hurt myself more than anything else. That fella is just used to doing it.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1429108424' post='2748106']
Just realised what this tutorial reminds me of

[url="http://youtu.be/ueHC7pgfYGU?t=94"]http://youtu.be/ueHC7pgfYGU?t=94[/url]
[/quote]

Just seeing the title of the vid was enough, I didn't need reminding! My thoughts on the truss rod video were of the slightly more benign osteopathic variety :-)