Why become a member? ×

Bad technique great sounding players

Twincam

Billy Talbot - Crazy Horse.

Technically not even remotely close to the best bassist's Neil Young has played with, but he seriously makes those tunes thump. One of my favourite players because it's more heart and vibe than anything else.

Edited by Chiliwailer

Does Jamerson's 'hook' count as bad bass guitar technique? Geddy Lee certainly has a very, er, aggressive right hand technique. Apparently Pattitucci doesn't mute when playing his 6, is this bad too? Given that our instrument (well the bass guitar anyway) is less than 70 years old, is there even an accepted/correct technique? If it sounds good, it is good.

Reading the above, it sounds a bit po-faced, it wasn't meant to, I like the idea of holding up the great and good to scrutiny; bring it on.

I'd say two notables are Entwhistle and Geddy Lee. They have carved a niche for themselves
that can only really exist in their own bands and they'd never really be able to move out of it.
Having said that, JE greta right hand makes up for an awful claw grip left hand, IMO

David Steele of Fine Young Cannibals tells a story whereby someone at a concert was watching him really intently. The next day there was a post on a forum expressing surprise that 'David Steele's technique is AWFUL'.

Note: IMHO David Steele is a great player, even if he isn't necessarily using the easiest road to getting there :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1428234776' post='2739368']
From what I see most well known bass players don't use a text book technique...they just play :)
[/quote]

This.

Not a bassist but I was watching some videos of Eric Gales yesterday. A lefty but using an upside down guitar complete with standard stringing.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1428237145' post='2739404']
I don't believe in bad or good technique. Everyone has a different approach and whatever works, works. All that really matters is if you sound great and are comfortable IMO.
[/quote]

Yep 👍

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1428232426' post='2739328']
Does Jamerson's 'hook' count as bad bass guitar technique? Geddy Lee certainly has a very, er, aggressive right hand technique. Apparently Pattitucci doesn't mute when playing his 6, is this bad too? Given that our instrument (well the bass guitar anyway) is less than 70 years old, is there even an accepted/correct technique? If it sounds good, it is good.

Reading the above, it sounds a bit po-faced, it wasn't meant to, I like the idea of holding up the great and good to scrutiny; bring it on.
[/quote]

Yeah there all pretty good examples.

And yeah i don't believe in rules as such, i just find other players quirks or non text book form/technique interesting.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1428248186' post='2739554']
Louis Johnson slap technique could take your eye out but sounds amazing.
[/quote]

Very very dated sounding now... and very bruising on the hands.
I'd be very surprised if he hasn't had big problems by now beating his hands up like that ..?

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1428237145' post='2739404']
I don't believe in bad or good technique. Everyone has a different approach and whatever works, works. All that really matters is if you sound great and are comfortable IMO.
[/quote]

I'd add to that that you sometimes need to change/improve your technique if you find something unplayable with your current technique. My left-hand technique varies between 'proper' and 'comfortable' depending on how challenging a piece is.