Why become a member? ×

Bad technique great sounding players

Twincam

is 'wrong' technique usually only seen in players made famous by their band, or are there session players in this as well?

Assumption would be today's session players, and jazz players, tend to have what is accepted as the taught technique

Edited by Drax

Never watched that Booker T/Duck Dunn technique before, weird but playing a shape from F does make my hand ache and I'd probably want to move it about a bit.
Mike Rutherford seems to fret all four strings sometimes. I doubt he worries about it too much from his Surrey mansion.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1428235814' post='2739380']
That guy on Fender's youtube demos!
[/quote]

That'd be Mel Brown. I actually quite like a lot of what he plays in those videos but when I look at his right hand technique I actually start to get cramp myself!

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1428275995' post='2739916']
That'd be Mel Brown. I actually quite like a lot of what he plays in those videos but when I look at his right hand technique I actually start to get cramp myself!
[/quote]

Had to look up these videos on youtube there...that really can't be good long term for his his wrist!?

With regards to the whole "there is no bad technique" I think it just varies person to person. I had to completely change my right hand technique last year because I was getting problems in my wrist from it. I would say that was bad. Sound-wise it was the same as what I do currently.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1428275995' post='2739916']
[/quote]

What vids should i be looking at of his?.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1428278817' post='2739933']
Had to look up these videos on youtube there...that really can't be good long term for his his wrist!?

With regards to the whole "there is no bad technique" I think it just varies person to person. I had to completely change my right hand technique last year because I was getting problems in my wrist from it. I would say that was bad. Sound-wise it was the same as what I do currently.
[/quote]

I changed my technique recently it's still not great but much improved. Certainly for me using a more correct technique has helped a lot.