Why become a member? ×

Check this female bassist out.

bubinga5

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1425900925' post='2711897']
It's an interesting discussion; I think it would have gone a similar way regardless of title, though the title is just part of the issue.

Is she a good bassist? Yes.
Is she using her apparent good looks to boost popularity? Yes.

Some people will always be drawn to listening to/watching subjectively attractive artists based on their looks. Others will ignore looks and just focus on the music (often to the point of dismissing the "attractive" parties) - the two groups will often think the other is being sad/demeaning/sexist/whatever.

Sex has sold music for decades, this is just another level of that. There are lots of examples of "internet-famous" people pedaling worse stuff & getting more attention, and plenty of female musicians resting their breasts on the top of their guitar/bass. In my opinion she's neither mind-blowingly great at playing or particularly attractive (to my tastes) but she's clearly a popular combination of the two in other people's eyes/ears - more power to her, she's obviously worked hard at practice & is making money from performing music which is what most of us really want from our bass playing isn't it?
[/quote] I'm sorry LW, but how on earth is she using her looks to boost popularity.???? she's not dressed provocatively, she just looks like a normal girl.. she's using her playing to boost popularity period.. that is just an absurd thing to say.!! its you that is seeing it from that perspective not her. if anything, that right there, is sexist. there really are some out of date opinions on BC. some in touch ones too i might add.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426070371' post='2713941']
No, my pick up line is, 'HELLO, I'M ON THE SEX-OFFENDERS' REGISTER!!'
[/quote]

Well, that's what happens when you go on the internet talking about fingering A Minor. :ph34r:

Jon.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1426023539' post='2713630']
Call me sexist but check out this girl playing bass.

http://youtu.be/H_X7mMU6Gb0
[/quote]

Yeah, how come we don't get the using sex to sell bass skills with this one then?

My favourite sex bomb bass playa !!! ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426069773' post='2713931']

No. I find it easier to do standing up with a strap-on.
OK, while I'm here... fingering A minor, G-string, bottom, bass players go deeper, slapping, both hands, wood, etc. etc.
[/quote]

I don't think most clubs I play would allow me to perform wearing a strap on.

Blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1426104542' post='2714524']
[/quote]

Mine too - he or she is lush. And he or she is a monster on the bass, too!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426106142' post='2714561']
I don't think most clubs I play would allow me to perform wearing a strap on.
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1426104542' post='2714524']
[/quote]

Mind you, I've just noticed that he/she has a music stand!! :o
But it looks like it may just be used for keeping pants on, so that's all right then.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1426091346' post='2714281']
I'm sorry LW, but how on earth is she using her looks to boost popularity.???? she's not dressed provocatively, she just looks like a normal girl.. she's using her playing to boost popularity period.. that is just an absurd thing to say.!! its you that is seeing it from that perspective not her. if anything, that right there, is sexist. there really are some out of date opinions on BC. some in touch ones too i might add.
[/quote]

Hmm, I'm not sure if this conversation is worth continuing or not after this. Your response has actually quite angered me so I'll try to keep this on point.

We both have opinions that seem to differ; I think she's a professional musician using the tools in her arsenal to put on a performance, you don't agree - fine/whatever, that's what internet discussions boards are for.

Now this is where I feel like I'm addressing a child but it needs to be said - you don't go into discussions then accuse people of being sexist when what they've said is quite clearly not. Calling me that is incredibly offensive & shows a complete lack of understanding of the issue or even the meaning of the word. The irony of it being the person that started this thread saying it is not lost on me.

I think I'll have to go back to the classic threads of "which fender?", "I hate Fender" & "Ashdown - to spontaneously combust or not?" - much less subjective ;-)

This thread, ladies and gentlemen (or are we not allowed to state gender here), is a perfect example of why I rarely post on BC.

The BC registration form should include a simple checkbox: [i][b]I confirm that I am grown-up[/b][/i]

FWIW She nailed it - made it look and sound effortless - I enjoyed it - Thanks Bubinga 5 for posting.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1426154075' post='2714917']
Hmm, I'm not sure if this conversation is worth continuing or not after this. Your response has actually quite angered me so I'll try to keep this on point.

We both have opinions that seem to differ; I think she's a professional musician using the tools in her arsenal to put on a performance, you don't agree - fine/whatever, that's what internet discussions boards are for.

Now this is where I feel like I'm addressing a child but it needs to be said - you don't go into discussions then accuse people of being sexist when what they've said is quite clearly not. Calling me that is incredibly offensive & shows a complete lack of understanding of the issue or even the meaning of the word. The irony of it being the person that started this thread saying it is not lost on me.

I think I'll have to go back to the classic threads of "which fender?", "I hate Fender" & "Ashdown - to spontaneously combust or not?" - much less subjective ;-)
[/quote]hhmm. ok well first off, you didn't really keep it on point, but never mind. but I'm sorry to have angered you, or offended you LW, it really wasn't my intention. but when you think about it, it might have angered or offended her, to say she's using her looks to gain popularity.? do you think.? there is no getting around that imo. I'm not calling you a sexist but the statement does come across like that. anyway it was only one sentence.

anyway sorry again to offend. i mean no ill feeling. :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1426154075' post='2714917']

[/quote]

I'm on "hottie alert" 24/7. When I watched the clip I was so blown away by her bass playing I didn't even notice what she looked like.

I went back and watched again. She nice looking but she did not come Carlos, look or present herself as "look at Me, I'm. This hot chic and I play bass.

Daryl

If you want to see some real fretless virtuosity, 30 minutes, live, with no music stand and no improvisation, this is Sol Gabetta. Hot double-stops at 4 minutes, and the last few minutes are quite something..! No tee-shirt, though.

[media]http://youtu.be/tG0laIxC0Lo[/media]

One may note that the supporting orchestra consists mostly, and almost equally, of young women and older men. Musical talent is musical talent, wherever it's to be found.
I'd like the job of the tympani player (at around 15 minutes ...). :D

Edited by Dad3353

Has anyone else noticed the seemingly disproportionate number of female bassists and guitarists on YouTube? It seems to have happened in the last couple of years, and every time I search for a bass or guitar cover, there seems to be a 50/50 split of male and female players. Now obviously the world population is 50/50 male/female, but unless all of the female bassists are hiding on a secret island somewhere I'm not sure that it is a proportional representation. I'm presuming that a disproportionate number of female musicians are appearing higher up the YouTube rankings because of all of the blokes who are watching them - I know that personally I find female musicians more attractive than male ones, even if they aren't flaunting their assets.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425844442' post='2711421']
How about ' burn the none gender specific, bass playing person' Surely that can't cause offence....
[/quote]

ahh, but then you are talking about a bass, it could be any instrument..😃