Why become a member? ×

Check this female bassist out.

bubinga5

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1425841628' post='2711363']
Another sexist comment, you need to use a word that covers witch and warlock really.
[/quote]

Try telling that to Kev Carlyon, self-proclaimed "High Priest of British White Witches", seen here resplendent in his trademark orange bathrobe! Mind you, if he leans any closer to that candle there is a real risk of witch-burning.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1425827093' post='2711109']

Why bother posting a vid of 'anyone' playing along note for note with a backing track? :huh:

[/quote]

Or better, why bother recording yourself doing that? I'd find it somewhat interesting if people would come up with an alternative bass line or something. Until then, I find this utterly pointless, male, female, whatever. I suspect though that some players want to display their looks along with their skills, in which case I think criticism is to be expected.

Sign of the times I guess. Do they really check on the number of views? Is that the new definition of musical relevance?

Don't get it Mr Monk.... What's the point in sheet music then...or did Rogers and Hammerstein, Wagner etc just have it printed as a rough guide for us to create our own masterpieces. Surely, what people do on you tube or whatever today,is the equivalent of a Vicrorian knees up round the piano with a few chums 150 years ago. Dress up a bit and show how good you are....what's the difference...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425850451' post='2711512']
Don't get it Mr Monk.... What's the point in sheet music then...or did Rogers and Hammerstein, Wagner etc just have it printed as a rough guide for us to create our own masterpieces. Surely, what people do on you tube or whatever today,is the equivalent of a Vicrorian knees up round the piano with a few chums 150 years ago. Dress up a bit and show how good you are....what's the difference...
[/quote]

Possibly... But back then you didn't get to see the original - whereas now you probably have a dozen videos showing exactly that. It's of course absoutely ok for practicing or just for kicks - but do you really have to tape and showcase it? For me, it just falls into the realm of 'hey look I can do it note by note' which begs the question 'who cares, really'. What's next? Being a pointless exercise, devoid of any creativity or imagination, I am not surprised those with attractive women (or men) get ten times more visits. If the display of musicianship is repeating a Jamiroquai bass line (not just a line, mind, the whole track!), then something's wrong imo. Must be me.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425832125' post='2711210']
What about this bloke?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZK4gb-H_wY#t=31"]http://www.youtube.c...ZK4gb-H_wY#t=31[/url]
[/quote]

Irrespective of how good or otherwise she is - I just love that tone. How do you get that?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425857483' post='2711613']
Despite the fact it's the way many of us learned how to play?
[/quote]

Well, I didn't learn that way (though many people probably wish I had).

But seriously, it seems a really weird idea to video yourself doing something and then put it on the net. I have the same concerns with people reporting their every moment on facebook. To me it seems very sad, almost as if these people need to do these things to make themselves feel OK about themselves, or to justify their existence. I can't believe that these people do it out of altruism to help their fellow bassists learn stuff.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425858047' post='2711623']
Well, I didn't learn that way (though many people probably wish I had).

But seriously, it seems a really weird idea to video yourself doing something and then put it on the net. I have the same concerns with people reporting their every moment on facebook. To me it seems very sad, almost as if these people need to do these things to make themselves feel OK about themselves, or to justify their existence. I can't believe that these people do it out of altruism to help their fellow bassists learn stuff.
[/quote]

but I think some people do this for the bucks $$$$! Lots of views lead to lots of advertising revenue unless it has changed since I did my "Bass Player in the wrong band film..."

...it seems a really weird idea to video yourself doing something and then put it on the net. I have the same concerns with people reporting their every moment on facebook. To me it seems very sad, almost as if these people need to do these things to make themselves feel OK about themselves, or to justify their existence.
[/quote]

Which is why I hate Twitter and Facebook [i]et al [/i]with a passion. It's a total waste of time... in a way that Basschat is not, of course. :D

[/quote]

I see it more as a networking/auditioning tool in this case. I'm sure this girl's YouTube channel could open some doors for her.
It's a great way to show off the nuts and bolts of her playing and her overall competence as a musician to potential employers.