Why become a member? ×

Check this female bassist out.

bubinga5

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1426309848' post='2716806']
If you want to see some real fretless virtuosity, 30 minutes, live, with no music stand and no improvisation, this is Sol Gabetta. Hot double-stops at 4 minutes, and the last few minutes are quite something..! No tee-shirt, though.

[media]http://youtu.be/tG0laIxC0Lo[/media]

[/quote]

Oh get her, wanton strumpet with her backless dress, 'look at me Im a girl', just trying to get hits on youtube :D

Still if I turned up and saw she didn't have a music stand I would just turn round and walk back out...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1426309848' post='2716806']
If you want to see some real fretless virtuosity, 30 minutes, live, with no music stand and no improvisation, this is Sol Gabetta. Hot double-stops at 4 minutes, and the last few minutes are quite something..! No tee-shirt, though.

[media]http://youtu.be/tG0laIxC0Lo[/media]

One may note that the supporting orchestra consists mostly, and almost equally, of young women and older men. Musical talent is musical talent, wherever it's to be found.
I'd like the job of the tympani player (at around 15 minutes ...). :D
[/quote]

Excellent!!
Even more amazing, is that not one of the old gits in that half hour performance
had to run out to the toilet.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425858047' post='2711623']
Well, I didn't learn that way (though many people probably wish I had).

But seriously, it seems a really weird idea to video yourself doing something and then put it on the net. I have the same concerns with people reporting their every moment on facebook. To me it seems very sad, almost as if these people need to do these things to make themselves feel OK about themselves, or to justify their existence. I can't believe that these people do it out of altruism to help their fellow bassists learn stuff.
[/quote]

live and let live...

does it matter what the reason is to post those videos?

what's weird to me is that when someone posts about something they love, there's always some who just join in to say "nah, could be better", "nah, not that good". I do not understand what compels someone to post that.

see?

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425940964' post='2712657']
It's blindingly obvious she plays with an ease and fluency that can't just be learnt, it has to come naturally...there is playing a bass, and using a bass, lots of folks can do the first one, but not many the second.. That song is five minutes long, and must have a couple of thousand individual 'hits' on the strings... That's like trying to type at 100 words a minute without making one mistake... Come on.
[/quote]

You'd be amazed what people can do when they, well... practice and work at it.

If music were my job, I bet I'd be substantially better than I'm now, as I'd be playing quite a bit everyday...

I remember an interview with Paco de Lucia talking about talent etc, and he said that sure, some people have a gift, but that he still had to spend hours and hours everyday playing guitar to become that good.

I think some people use the excuse "I am not that talented" as a self-justification, when the truth is they just don't want to put in the effort. But this is an entirely different matter now...

Edited by mcnach

I agree, anyone can become amazing if the are prepared to work, work, work at it. On the other hand , some annoying people, like my girlfriends brother, are just born with the ability to be just good right away. He didn't pick up a guitar until he was 13. Within three years, he was a virtuoso, who could play any Rush song you could name flawlessly, since then, he has become the best guitarist I've ever met in real life. It's so bloody annoying!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1426422837' post='2717847']
I agree, anyone can become amazing if the are prepared to work, work, work at it. On the other hand , some annoying people, like my girlfriends brother, are just born with the ability to be just good right away. He didn't pick up a guitar until he was 13. Within three years, he was a virtuoso, who could play any Rush song you could name flawlessly, since then, he has become the best guitarist I've ever met in real life. It's so bloody annoying!
[/quote]

Yeah, I hate those. I'd round them all up in a field and shoot them... oh, wait, sorry, I thought this was the Clarkson thread :P

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1426422837' post='2717847']
[/quote]

Some people are born with the [i]"gift"[/i], these were usually the folks that "made it" and were light years ahead of everyone in terms of talent and ability even in high school.

I gig every weekend and practice every night and I've been at this for 45 years. I'm still average, this stuff does not come naturally to me. I really have to work at it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427228317' post='2727679']

Some people are born with the [i]"gift"[/i], these were usually the folks that "made it" and were light years ahead of everyone in terms of talent and ability even in high school.

I gig every weekend and practice every night and I've been at this for 45 years. I'm still average, this stuff does not come naturally to me. I really have to work at it.

Blue
[/quote]

I'll agree with that.
A lot of people have told me I'm a natural bassist, which I take as a nice complement, but I'm not at all, it's bloody hard work and I struggle to breathe and play bass at the same time, let alone talk to punters that insist on trying to chat mid song.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425858047' post='2711623']
But seriously, it seems a really weird idea to video yourself doing something and then put it on the net. I have the same concerns with people reporting their every moment on facebook. To me it seems very sad, almost as if these people need to do these things to make themselves feel OK about themselves, or to justify their existence. I can't believe that these people do it out of altruism to help their fellow bassists learn stuff.
[/quote]

Maybe it seems weird because it is something that has only recently became possible and you didn't grow up with?

On top of that, if you stop and think, it actually can serve a purpose in several ways-
[list=1]
[*]Unlike facebook, etc you can make money off youtube based off your views, subscribers, etc. Now of course most people make nothing or just beer money but some people make a living far better than minimum wage.
[*]It can be a learning tool for other people. Arguably doubly so with bass, when I started (and a lot of other people I've talked to as well when they started) found it hard to make out the bassline in songs, especially if the bass isn't clear in the mix or is very complicated. Plus just seeing/hearing someone else play something can help. You can argue about "do it the hard way, you will learn more" and that may be true but for the vast majority of bass players they are just doing bedroom playing or small gigs for fun so learning the easy way isn't really a big deal.
[*]Some people use youtube as a social network. Nothing wrong with that.
[*]This isn't like people who endlessly post on facebook about every activity they do. This video is of a specific thing that arguably is of interest to other people.
[*]She can show her friends/family/whatever she doesn't live near how her playing is coming on.
[*]What harm does it do? So what if she feels better because someone says "nice playing". I'm sure you can think of people from your own personal life who are far more harmful to themselves and others in their attempts to find love and validation. It's a human thing to do. Everyone does it, the only difference is how noticable and how damaging it is. You are lying to yourself if you say you have never done anything with the intention (counscious or sub-councious) of soliciting some validation.
[/list]
If you are convinced they are all sad people doing it for petty reasons then, I hate to say it, but I feel like that reflects worse on you than them! How can you judge someone off the fact they uploaded an online video of them playing a musical instrument?

Now don't get me wrong it isn't my cup of tea either but I don't really think it is weird or struggle to see the point.

As for all the "gender" stuff. I think OP probably was completely harmless in their intention but I don't think there is anything particually remarkable about her playing that means you have to check her out.

[quote name='hellothere' timestamp='1427259676' post='2727960']
Maybe it seems weird because it is something that has only recently became possible and you didn't grow up with?
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Almost certainly true! Definitely a touch of curmudgeonly old twat in me![/color]

On top of that, if you stop and think, it actually can serve a purpose in several ways-Unlike facebook, etc you can make money off youtube based off your views, subscribers, etc. Now of course most people make nothing or just beer money but some people make a living far better than minimum wage.

[color=#0000ff]Which is a perfectly valid reason, though I can't think many people make any significant amount.[/color]

It can be a learning tool for other people. Arguably doubly so with bass, when I started (and a lot of other people I've talked to as well when they started) found it hard to make out the bassline in songs, especially if the bass isn't clear in the mix or is very complicated. Plus just seeing/hearing someone else play something can help. You can argue about "do it the hard way, you will learn more" and that may be true but for the vast majority of bass players they are just doing bedroom playing or small gigs for fun so learning the easy way isn't really a big deal.

[color=#0000ff]I agree that it could be a useful tool, and I have no problem with people learning this way - I have used it myself. BUT I don't believe that "helping others" is uppermost in peoples mind when they post these things, or they would be structured as a lesson/slowed down etc., rather than just a video of someone playing.[/color]

Some people use youtube as a social network. Nothing wrong with that.

[color=#0000FF]Still seems a funny idea to put in in a completely public arena to me.[/color]

This isn't like people who endlessly post on facebook about every activity they do. This video is of a specific thing that arguably is of interest to other people.

[color=#0000FF]True[/color]

She can show her friends/family/whatever she doesn't live near how her playing is coming on.

[color=#0000ff]I would have thought Facebook would be more appropriate[/color]

What harm does it do? So what if she feels better because someone says "nice playing". I'm sure you can think of people from your own personal life who are far more harmful to themselves and others in their attempts to find love and validation. It's a human thing to do. Everyone does it, the only difference is how noticable and how damaging it is. You are lying to yourself if you say you have never done anything with the intention (counscious or sub-councious) of soliciting some validation.

[color=#0000FF]No harm at all, but it still strikes me as an odd thing to do.[/color]

If you are convinced they are all sad people doing it for petty reasons then, I hate to say it, but I feel like that reflects worse on you than them! How can you judge someone off the fact they uploaded an online video of them playing a musical instrument?

[color=#0000FF]Very easily. Since I don't know these people its the only way I have of judging them.[/color]

Now don't get me wrong it isn't my cup of tea either but I don't really think it is weird or struggle to see the point.

[color=#0000ff]Not even a little bit weird? :)[/color]

Edited by Count Bassy