Why become a member? ×

Check this female bassist out.

bubinga5

Seems to me there's a minor YT industry of attractive women who are also pretty good bass players. Some of them are better than others (and some of them play on their physicality a little too much). Isn't it time we stopped finding the idea of female bassists novel?

She could have saved herself a lot of work by dropping her tuning a semitone on this, like Nate Watts did when he played it.

Well what is she supposed to do then ...put a bag over her head and turn the light off ? She... Or should I say ' this person' is a good player, and that's it. Any reference to backing tapes, down tuning, or doing her own material is completely irrelevant. She is playing it extremely well, obviously knows how to use tone and volume, so its right for the mix, and looks completely relaxed and at ease throughout the whole piece. What else do you need.....give credit where it's due...Personaly I loved it...lets have some more..

I'm going to be a miserable old git. She's good, no doubt about that. However, her video was put up 2 years after Huw Foster's (who posts on here) yet has received almost 10000 more views than Huw's. No call me cynical but...

Personally, I think Huw Foster absolutely nails it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejj4y-aPC2E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejj4y-aPC2E[/url]

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1425819341' post='2710998']
Hmmmm. :unsure:

I'm sure there will be dozens of equally good bassists on youtube playing this and more technical pieces with as much/more feeling but you chose this because?
[/quote]good god why is it when you post a woman playing bass there must an agenda behind it. i posted it purely on her playing. I'm sure there are many better bassists out there.. i just happen to like her playing.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425820973' post='2711022']
Well what is she supposed to do then ...put a bag over her head and turn the light off ? She... Or should I say ' this person' is a good player, and that's it. Any reference to backing tapes, down tuning, or doing her own material is completely irrelevant. She is playing it extremely well, obviously knows how to use tone and volume, so its right for the mix, and looks completely relaxed and at ease throughout the whole piece. What else do you need.....give credit where it's due...Personaly I loved it...lets have some more..
[/quote]bang on.. why do i get the feeling there is a bit of underlying sexism on this forum.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1425822772' post='2711041']
I'm going to be a miserable old git. She's good, no doubt about that. However, her video was put up 2 years after Huw Foster's (who posts on here) yet has received almost 10000 more views than Huw's. No call me cynical but...

Personally, I think Huw Foster absolutely nails it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejj4y-aPC2E[/media]
[/quote]im a big fan of Huw, but i think her fills are a little more special. well to my ear anyway. in fact with all respect, i think she blows him away.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425823318' post='2711056']
good god why is it when you post a woman playing bass there must an agenda behind it. i posted it purely on her playing. I'm sure there are many better bassists out there.. i just happen to like her playing.
[/quote]

In which case maybe change the thread title to 'check this [i]bassist[/i] out' .

Some of you guys are taking PC to the extreme, the OP always posts threads about Bands/Songs he loves and they are vary varied, give him a break. Surely if anyone wanted to seek a something sexual, and low quality image of someone playing bass is not the place to start.

Im a big Huw fan BTW.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425824205' post='2711067']
In which case maybe change the thread title to 'check this [i]bassist[/i] out' .
[/quote]

Why, no one would complain if someone started a thread saying "check this dude out", or "check this kid out" or "one armed man". He only said "girl" which she is, not "bird" , "babe" or the like

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1425825105' post='2711075']
Some of you guys are taking PC to the extreme, the OP always posts threads about Bands/Songs he loves and they are vary varied, give him a break. Surely if anyone wanted to seek a something sexual, and low quality image of someone playing bass is not the place to start.

Im a big Huw fan BTW.
[/quote]
I would agree with this, bubinga5 always posts up some excellent tunes, stuff that he feels passionate about.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425825891' post='2711089']
take heed you people, there are women that are better at electric bass than you and me.
[/quote]

And I'm probably far better at ironing & doing the washing up than she is.... :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425825188' post='2711077']
why would i want to do that.. she's a girl who plays bass.
[/quote]
Because you said you posted based on playing ability with no agenda behind it, therefore gender is irrelevant.

If you had this thread would be a lot shorter ;)[size=4] [/size]

You don't get that level of bass skills without a lot of study, practice and experience. She's a pro bassist and plays like one. Some people can't get past the fact she's female and that's stupid. I defy anyone to have heard the audio only and tell which gender the player was, it's irrelevant. If you fancy her that's your own affair. I enjoyed the vid.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425826364' post='2711097']
Because you said you posted based on playing ability with no agenda behind it, therefore gender is irrelevant.

If you had this thread would be a lot shorter ;)
[/quote]mate, my intentions are honest. i posted a girl who plays bass and does it very well.… that is bottom line, if you want read into it thats your bag, not mine.. this thread has got longer bud because of sexism.

Edited by bubinga5