Why become a member? ×

Check this female bassist out.

bubinga5

I see the whole 'recording yourself playing a cover and uploading it to tinterwebs' thing as quite useful tool for some people. It's a good way to look back at your playing and see how you have improved over time as well as giving you the possible option of getting feedback from musicians from all over.

Although with it being the internet it generally ends in someone saying you're sh*t nomatter how well you play.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425859501' post='2711658']

Which is why I hate Twitter and Facebook [i]et al [/i]with a passion. It's a total waste of time... in a way that Basschat is not, of course. :D
[/quote]

Indeed. Which probably means I am getting old.

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1425871093' post='2711691']
I'm quite surprised at some of the comments on this thread. People put Youtube videos on thie site all the time. The girl was quite talented. She played her part well. When did it become objectionable to acknowledge that?
[/quote]

dad, we're a bit inhibited over here, it's why we drink so much :D

She's a better bass player than me ans she's far more attractive than me. Good on her! I really enjoyed the vid, for her playing!

It seems that people on this forum are so quick to jump and look for the possible negatives of a post (oooh, racism, sexism, ageism, get the pitch forks!) than just take a post at face value these days.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425858047' post='2711623']
Well, I didn't learn that way (though many people probably wish I had).

But seriously, it seems a really weird idea to video yourself doing something and then put it on the net. I have the same concerns with people reporting their every moment on facebook. To me it seems very sad, almost as if these people need to do these things to make themselves feel OK about themselves, or to justify their existence. I can't believe that these people do it out of altruism to help their fellow bassists learn stuff.
[/quote]

I didn't learn that way either, but it's a useful educational tool to be able to see how someone else has interpreted a line, and to be able to discriminate between the good and the less so. In this case, it's a demonstration of the player's timing, groove, and recall - despite not being a note-for-note rendition, but I don't think that really matters. I wish(!) I could play it that well, she's done a much better version than I could. Check out her "Dry Cleaner From Des Moines" as well.

I have recorded clips of myself playing both bass and guitar parts on uploaded them on youtube - not as a vanity project (I'm not good enough) nor an altruistic venture, but so that I could unload the lines from my mental conveyor belt and make room for other stuff, knowing that the vids are there for reference if needed. Why upload them? So I don't need to keep a local copy. Are they public? Yes, and pretty much every one has had a comment saying "got any tab?" *sigh*

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1425896707' post='2711843']
Why is it sexist to find her attractive anyway? I enjoyed her playing and her jiggling about.
[/quote]

Quite, that's what the internet is for. If the PC Brigade had their way, there'd be no squishy or snaky at all!
And then what would the harvest be?

I think the crux of the issue is the title of the thread, I wonder if it would have taken this tack if called 'Check this bassist out'
She's a great player, and Stingrays always seem to nail the 'Do I Do' tone! Good luck to her!

Also someone previously mentioned that it's easier to play it in Eb like how Nate played it. Probably worth noting that Nate didn't retune for this (on any) Stevie song, he was playing a semi-tone down long before he got the Stevie gig.......I guess that's why they fit each other so well :). So safe to assume his 5 strings are down to Bb too.

Si

It's an interesting discussion; I think it would have gone a similar way regardless of title, though the title is just part of the issue.

Is she a good bassist? Yes.
Is she using her apparent good looks to boost popularity? Yes.

Some people will always be drawn to listening to/watching subjectively attractive artists based on their looks. Others will ignore looks and just focus on the music (often to the point of dismissing the "attractive" parties) - the two groups will often think the other is being sad/demeaning/sexist/whatever.

Sex has sold music for decades, this is just another level of that. There are lots of examples of "internet-famous" people pedaling worse stuff & getting more attention, and plenty of female musicians resting their breasts on the top of their guitar/bass. In my opinion she's neither mind-blowingly great at playing or particularly attractive (to my tastes) but she's clearly a popular combination of the two in other people's eyes/ears - more power to her, she's obviously worked hard at practice & is making money from performing music which is what most of us really want from our bass playing isn't it?

So what's the diffence between someone performing or playing a song on you tube, and playing the same song at a gig..... viewers or an audience...its the same thing. Unless its the the original song writer playing it, it's always going to be someone else trying to re-create the original as best they can. Whether you are male female, old or young, you are basically saying..."look what I can do... And I love it.." So all you folks who think its not right to show others what you can do, what is it that you do at gigs then...hide behind the drummer ? One of the key things about music, is the sense of achievement at having learnt something, and then wanting to share, or show this to other people. Scott Devine is the bass player I have learnt more off than any one on You Tube, as have thousands of others...this is because the signs over his door say 'lessons' or 'learn.' If this girl had used a similar title, would she still be the cause of such debate. For all the folks who are saying its nothing special, remember there are hundreds of players who are no where near this skill level yet, and at some stage in the past, none of us were. If I was trying to learn this song, I would be glad it was available.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1425915769' post='2712145']
Ummmm, she's just playing her bass in jeans and tshirt?!

Si
[/quote]

Yes, the point stands though. Everyone in music uses their image to enhance their performance, Slipknot/Ramones/Madonna/Taylor Swift, everyone does it - I'm sure @Blue could tell you all about it.

Yes, she's wearing jeans & a t-shirt; do you think she just happened to pick those clothes up that day then decided later to record a video? Then look at the make-up, the hair, the way she's moving, the way she looks at the camera, the camera angle etc etc... - there's nothing wrong with it & I'm not having a go, she's a music performance artist & is putting on a good show.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425913545' post='2712116']
So what's the diffence between someone performing or playing a song on you tube, and playing the same song at a gig..... viewers or an audience...its the same thing. Unless its the the original song writer playing it, it's always going to be someone else trying to re-create the original as best they can. Whether you are male female, old or young, you are basically saying..."look what I can do... And I love it.." So all you folks who think its not right to show others what you can do, what is it that you do at gigs then...hide behind the drummer ? One of the key things about music, is the sense of achievement at having learnt something, and then wanting to share, or show this to other people. Scott Devine is the bass player I have learnt more off than any one on You Tube, as have thousands of others...this is because the signs over his door say 'lessons' or 'learn.' If this girl had used a similar title, would she still be the cause of such debate. For all the folks who are saying its nothing special, remember there are hundreds of players who are no where near this skill level yet, and at some stage in the past, none of us were. If I was trying to learn this song, I would be glad it was available.
[/quote]
Well said mate. Half the people on this forum who chat crap about stuff like this are bedroom bubinga botherers and have never played live and can't understand why people want to.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1425921206' post='2712265']
Talented, youthful and good looking.

Three things alot of people aren't. Some will end up getting the a***hole about it.
[/quote]

Exactly ! Three things I wish I still had!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425917520' post='2712176']
...Half the people on this forum who chat crap about stuff like this are bedroom bubinga botherers and have never played live and can't understand why people want to.
[/quote]

And I in turn can't understand why you [i]wouldn't [/i]want to... :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425917520' post='2712176']
bedroom bubinga botherers
[/quote]

:lol:

There's other women out in YouTube land who flaunt far more and it don't bother me a jot. If someone can play then kudos to them. To be honest if anyone posts a YouTube video on basschat, it will get slaughtered by certain people at some point. Art is subjective and you ain't gonna please all the people all the time

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425913545' post='2712116']
[/quote]

I won't argue with you all given that this is seen as a form of achievement, but I would have never thought of this kind of video as 'instructional'. Oh well - seems I should go back to my bedroom then...😊