Why become a member? ×

First Tour - Advice?

charic

Make time to eat decent food at least once a day, instead of stuff that's "easy" or cheap.
Find the local swimming pool & have a shower.
If your on a tourbus with a chemical bog, don't do a No. 2 on the bus, especially if you want to stay friends with the rest of the band or not invoke the wrath of the driver.

Get absolutely hammered on the first night after the show, wake up feeling really rough and use this a a reminder to not to do it again until the last night of the tour. Apparently it`s a rotten feeling being hungover and having to go to all the tour places. I wouldn`t know about that as I didn`t suffer hangovers, but my band-mates did, and they used to look pretty fed up much of the time, when they really should have been enjoying a great experience.

Other than that, eat and drink healthily - make sure you drink lots of water - and take enough clothes with you. If you`ve not got enough clothes, then take some febreeze with you, so that you can make your stage clothes smell nice and fresh for the gigs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423476963' post='2685103']
Get absolutely hammered on the first night after the show, wake up feeling really rough and use this a a reminder to not to do it again until the last night of the tour. Apparently it`s a rotten feeling being hungover and having to go to all the tour places. I wouldn`t know about that as I didn`t suffer hangovers, but my band-mates did, and they used to look pretty fed up much of the time, when they really should have been enjoying a great experience.

Other than that, eat and drink healthily - make sure you drink lots of water - and take enough clothes with you. If you`ve not got enough clothes, then take some febreeze with you, so that you can make your stage clothes smell nice and fresh for the gigs.
[/quote]

We had a band 'sack' their gtr for doing that...drove off and left him there, came back a couple of days later to 'collect' and put him on the flight home :lol:

Take clean pants - WAY more clean pants than you think you'll ever need. Keep them dry in a separate case or bag close to hand. And take a LOT of high-quality, prescription-grade painkillers with you. When it goes tits-up and you're wondering why the hell you ever entertained the idea of going on tour, a few of these help you much better than a skinful of booze, which will make you punchy and depressed. Remember the two 'P's - Pants and Painkillers. That's all you need. Listen to your uncle discreet! :D

Edited by discreet

Be positive and happy.

This is a great time for the band to pull together and become a better unit.

+1 for all the eat and drink sensibly and personal hygiene and clean clothes advice.

Keep your fingers crossed that someone doesn't start exhibiting strange personal behavior that wasn't evident before.

Take a camera.

Edited by chris_b

When driving you and your band mates should play the tour game. when anybody spots any of the following you must shout the appropriate phrase.

A mattress on a roof shout Vanilla Pod
A horse box (Must be being towed) shout horse box
A boat on a trailer (not a jet ski) shout Leatherface
A fire engine shout Ponty Pandy
Any army vehicle sing In the Navy
A porta loo on a truck shout Bog Truck

The first person to call it is winning, if someone calls one and it isn't right they have to get 1 of that category before they be back in the game. The last person to call one is winning that category, the winner is the one who is winning the most amount of categories at the end of the journey,

Our tour manager has sorted us with shared hotel rooms for the whole tour (it's only 5 days). I'm sharing with the drummer and he's really cool so no problems there! :lol: Also I don't get hangovers for some unknown reason either Lozz :D

[b][u]Checklist[/u][/b]
Pants
Painkillers
Booze
Febreeze

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1423479507' post='2685150']
People don't normally get this much concentrated playing experience, so just make sure you start the next gig where you left off the night before.
[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't mean the venue ;)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1423478137' post='2685126']
Do not...DO NOT...drink a bottle of Southern Comfort at 10am while waiting to be picked up in the van. By the time you play the first gig you will be grumpy as hell.
[/quote]

I've been told we operate on a no pre-gig drinks policy :D

Take a good book or something to do, waiting around in hotels and backstage is mind numbing and boring as hell. I used to enjoy walking around the town as it kills time, you get to see new places, you get fresh air and exercise and a break from everyone.

The rest is easy, you'll love it :gas:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1423476056' post='2685090']
I'm going on my first ever tour with my new (to me) band in a few weeks and I wondered if anyone had any advice? :)
[/quote]
Where is the tour, UK, Europe, USA?
My first tour was in Florida, USA in 1992 and since then I've done my fair share of touring in the UK and abroad and there are many things to learn as you go round. Most things are pretty much common sense. On stage my view is to quickly establish a logical and methodical approach to setting up and breaking down your gear. That way you are less likely to leave anything behind or wire things up wrongly. Always be polite to the guys/girls setting up the stage, FOH and monitor sound they usually will have a better view of how the sound will be at a particular venue. I never leave my bass plugged in on stage unless I'm playing it for obvious reasons and if you must, then don't leave your bass plugged in whilst the stage is being setup, I've seen the inevitable happen a number of times and the aftermath is unpleasant. Enjoy the experience, take loads of photo's, make contacts & friendships, go and, if possible, meet the punters after the gig let them have photo's taken with you if they want.
You don't say where you are travelling but, if I'm touring abroad I always take a memory stick with picture copies of all my travel documents including passport and driving licence. Make sure your gear is properly insured.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1423482566' post='2685201']
Where is the tour, UK, Europe, USA?
I've done my fair share of touring in the UK and abroad and there are many things to learn as you go round. Most things are pretty much common sense. On stage my view is to quickly establish a logical and methodical approach to setting up and breaking down your gear. That way you are less likely to leave anything behind or wire things up wrongly. Always be polite to the guys/girls setting up the stage, FOH and monitor sound they usually will have a better view of how the sound will be at a particular venue. I never leave my bass plugged in on stage unless I'm playing it for obvious reasons and if you must, then don't leave your bass plugged in whilst the stage is being setup, I've seen the inevitable happen a number of times and the aftermath is unpleasant.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm a stickler for unplugging anyway (although apparently I'm going to be on wireless for the first time ever) :D

We're playing around the UK
Manchester Academy 3
Newcastle SU
The Institute Birmingham
O2 Academy Islington
The Fleece Bristol

Excited? Me? Yeah a bit

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1423476781' post='2685099']
Make time to eat decent food at least once a day, instead of stuff that's "easy" or cheap.
[/quote]

This.

I tour managed a two week run and ended up with gastritis - wouldn't wish that on anyone. Expensive, but if you can't get to supermarkets make sure you get the occasional healthy meal from motorway services - Waitrose/M&S. Not very rock&roll I know but....